GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Autoguide Sub-$30k Shootout

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
For those interested in how the latest GTI stacks up against the FiST, FoST, new WRX, FR-S, Miata, etc.:

Part 1:
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/08/autoguide-com-under-30000-performance-car-shootout.html

Part 2:
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/08/autoguide-30000-performance-car-shootout-part-two.html

Part 3:
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...rformance-car-shootout-part-three-winner.html

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
How did the fiesta ST get 10 in fuel economy... ?
And Focus ST got a 4.3 on price? Better than a GTI yet it is a much cheaper car.
DAFUQ? that scoring is completely apeshit stupid.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
IDK, whenever journalists try to objectify their comparisons with numbers it always falls to shit. What average driver is really going to care how the cars perform on the track? Alternatively, what enthusiast is going to care that the car doesn't perform well on the street or doesn't get great gas mileage? To just sum all these numbers together is to ignore that people have different uses for their cars.

Bender1

Banned
How did the fiesta ST get 10 in fuel economy... ?
And Focus ST got a 4.3 on price? Better than a GTI yet it is a much cheaper car.
DAFUQ? that scoring is completely apeshit stupid.

Yeah i dont get that. If it is a 4.3 on price then the comfort level doesn't make sense because that would indicate fully loaded which is amazingly comfortable (and still cheaper than a GTI).

chad13761

Ready to race!
That's funny, I used a similar "decision matrix" for an alternatives report not too long ago. Applying a percentage weighting to a bunch of different criteria in an attempt to compare apples and oranges. It's super subjective, and easy to skew the results to get whatever "winner" you already have in mind.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Weird they included the Juke but not the MINI.

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
It's more useful to read these kind of comparisons while skipping the objective number breakdown. The numbers in each category are interesting as compared against one another (e.g., Fiesta is more fun to drive than a WRX on the track), but once you start adding up the numbers to come up with a winner, that's when things get weird. A lot of reviews still like using the aggregated numbers approach, not sure why.

TLDR; find the categories that matter to you and compare intra-category.

Weird they included the Juke but not the MINI.

They stated they weren't able to get Mini's approval to track test the loaner.

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
I rather this comparo better.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
The new Mini is bloated and underpowered. BMW took it in the wrong direction.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
The new Mini is bloated and underpowered. BMW took it in the wrong direction.

I thought they gave the mini an engine that is 25% bigger in the S form. And even the non S is 2 seconds faster to 60mph... what am I missing?

danielj1

Go Kart Champion