GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car Chat 2: The Place You Go When Plac ISN'T Considering a New Car

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
ballz, apparently you are the only dealer in the country that actually answers questions.

I can't get anyone to say anything other than "Here's the listing and pictures (and maybe a carfax) - u can test drive?"

That is in response to a very specific question that is not answered by the listing or pictures - as if I didn't look at the fucking listing in the first place.

I even try to learn about lambo doors and other bullshit too by adding a line like "Has the vehicle been modified?" and get the same "the vehicle is as pictured" as a response. They don't say "yes it has x,y,z" or "no it's stock AFAIK" - they don't even fucking answer. As pictured... Thanks, dipshit - I thought the pictures with the listing were of your daughter's car out in Georgia, not the car you're trying to sell. Thanks for setting me straight!

BP11

Banned
For what it's worth, when I was first looking at the GTI I went to drive an STI. The local Subaru dealer only had one- brand new, dark blue, was in the middle of the show floor. I laughed in the guy's face when he told me that they don't allow test drives. Told him that was the most ridiculous thing I'd ever heard and reminded him that he works at a Subaru dealership, not fucking Ferrari. So he told me to come back in an hour, and I found it right outside the show room, idling, waiting for me to beat the shit out of it. And I did. Cool story brah, I know. Moral is: some salesmen need to be put in their place. Primadonna fuckers.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Fired off an angry email to the dealer's GM detailing everything and told them to expect a bill for my time and travel expenses, I don't expect a response but I had to do more than rant on a forum about it... this kind of shit is unacceptable.

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
Car(s)
MKVI GTI
Same with the mk7, the one i test drove was exactly as equipped as the one i have but white.

Well i better like the WRX then, i feel like I do.
edit: plac test drove a subaru and i don't think dealer make him committed it, i guess it varies by dealer.

I think they'll let you drive Foresters. It's the performance stuff they want you to buy first. Which is completely backwards.

I've never been allowed to test drive a new Subaru WRX or STI, they said it was their policy to not allow it, but that "I should buy one anyways because they're sure I'll love it." :rolleyes:

I've tried more than a couple times and in different states.

Lol.

I was told Subaru doesn't offer test drives on the WRX/STI because their owners are very particular about picking up a new one with no miles (or close to) on the odo. That's part of the reason I didn't consider a 2015 WRX over my GTI, I would never ever buy a car without driving it first.

I vote for a GT over an ecoboost, but that depends on how important gas mileage is to you/how far you commute.

It's completely ridiculous. It's why I haven't bought a Subaru yet. Clearly, there's enough fanbois that buy them without using their brains. Idiots.

How would having a customer who knows exactly what he wants be difficult?

Do you just bank on people being fucking idiots that will buy anything as long as "it's high up and has nice pickup!"?

I bet 99.9% of people have no clue about anything. You're the rare occurrence.

I can't speak for all salespeople.

Some are experts. Some know jack shit. Most are somewhere in the middle - they know a lot, but don't know everything about every single car. Everyone has their strengths. At a domestic dealer that probably sells a lot of trucks... I wouldn't expect anyone to know a damned thing about the RX-8 aside from the fact it starts and drives.

At my dealership, that RX-8 would've at least had 4 matching tires on it at least, but with the lambo doors, it never would've made it onto the front line. Right to the auction it would've gone.

Anyways, to your original point... no, that's not the logic. Most people know nothing, therefore, we should (and are required to) know as much as possible. If I don't know something, I say, "Sorry, I actually don't know, but I'd be glad to either find the answer for you, or I'll find someone who does know the answer." All of the guys here are the same way.

If I owned a dealer, I would require everyone I hire to go through extensive product training for the first few days, and pass a test at the end to make sure they know their stuff. I'd further send random surveys to customers regarding sales people's knowledge and ability to educate the client. Any that failed would be axed.

For what it's worth, when I was first looking at the GTI I went to drive an STI. The local Subaru dealer only had one- brand new, dark blue, was in the middle of the show floor. I laughed in the guy's face when he told me that they don't allow test drives. Told him that was the most ridiculous thing I'd ever heard and reminded him that he works at a Subaru dealership, not fucking Ferrari. So he told me to come back in an hour, and I found it right outside the show room, idling, waiting for me to beat the shit out of it. And I did. Cool story brah, I know. Moral is: some salesmen need to be put in their place. Primadonna fuckers.

Oh wow. I argued with the BRZ guy, and even got the manager involved. I even said the same thing...This is SUBARU not FERRARI! The manager was adamant that they don't let anyone drive the performance cars. I was awestruck, and still am. No wonder the BRZ is tanking in sales.

Fired off an angry email to the dealer's GM detailing everything and told them to expect a bill for my time and travel expenses, I don't expect a response but I had to do more than rant on a forum about it... this kind of shit is unacceptable.

You never know. I've gotten responses from GMs before. They usually pay attention to that crap, but it really depends on the GM.

golftdibrad

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'10 GTI, miata, vers
FUCK CAR SALESMEN.

FUCK ALL OF THEM.

How the FUCK do you plan to sell a motherfucking SPORTS CAR without letting anyone drive the fucker?

It's an old used Mazda that's been beat on and is all of $13k not a brand new Z06 - being tested by someone with a god damn racing license not your fucking 16 year old kid.

FUCK CAR SALESMEN.

Oh yeah - they never bothered to tell me about the shitty lambo doors in emails asking for specific details on the car. All about making someone drive 2 fucking hours to see what the car actually is - FUCK YOU CAR SALESMEN.

FUCK YOU ZILLON and your whole fucking trade. You people are all SCUM.

They attract the lowest form of people, esp. the cheaper used cars.
Like tow truck drivers.

since when did you start looking at rx8's?

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
It's completely ridiculous. It's why I haven't bought a Subaru yet. Clearly, there's enough fanbois that buy them without using their brains. Idiots.

No wonder the BRZ is tanking in sales.

but at least they have a good resale once they're bored and want to dump it.

Exactly with the BRZ, when they could've test drove an FRS and end up getting that. :laugh:

Funny thing is, i saw someone on wrx thread posted he test drove the WRX but didn't end up getting one, i began to wonder if it really depends on dealer.

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
Car(s)
MKVI GTI
but at least they have a good resale once they're bored and want to dump it.

Exactly with the BRZ, when they could've test drove an FRS and end up getting that. :laugh:

Funny thing is, i saw someone on wrx thread posted he test drove the WRX but didn't end up getting one, i began to wonder if it really depends on dealer.

That's actually what I did. I left the Subi dealer, walked across the street to the Scion dealer, and hooned an FR-S with a sales guy that was younger than me. Good test drive, and I liked the car except it really does feel underpowered for daily driving.

The sales manager DID offer me the "rare opportunity" to put down a deposit, test drive the car, and if I didn't like it, get my deposit back. Maybe that's what the WRX breh did? I would have done it if I hadn't JUST come from hooning an e90 M3 worth triple the price of the BRZ at a different dealer with nothing more than a copy of my driver's license. :laugh:

BP11

Banned
Oh wow. I argued with the BRZ guy, and even got the manager involved. I even said the same thing...This is SUBARU not FERRARI! The manager was adamant that they don't let anyone drive the performance cars. I was awestruck, and still am. No wonder the BRZ is tanking in sales.

Some of my car buddies and I enjoy tire kicking quite a bit, and do it fairly often. I can confidently say that the Subaru encounter was the most opposition I've ever gotten to taking a car for a test drive. I was absolutely stunned, and would never go back/consider a Subaru because of it.

What's even more amazing (in my opinion) is how much better high end dealerships treat their customers. I've had fantastic experiences at the local Porsche dealership, where my friend and I drove a 991 C2S, 997TT, and a 997 GT3 by ourselves (without the sales dude) all back to back. The sales guy even showed us/encouraged trying out the launch control on the Turbo...I think we did it 9-10 times in our 20 minute hooning session.

Another time we went to the Jag dealership and they took their only F type R coupe off the showroom floor for us to drive. We took it out for 30-40 minutes or so and had a blast. The lady didn't even question it - she just copied our licenses and said "give me 5 mins to get it outta the showroom". That's how car shopping should be.

Full disclosure, my friend ended up buying the Ftype after our test drive. Traded it in 4 months later for the 458 italia. LOL.