GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Earth Dreams Engine Upgrade Coming to Honda Civic

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
I had no issues with the CVT in the 2012 Altima I drove. Its a low rent family car, I can't say I cared as to how it shifted.

It's not the shifting, its the whine at freeways speeds that is Nissan's issue. It's also the awful paring with the 3.5 V6. It's better in their 4 cyl applications but still the whine.

I've not driven a Honda CVT to see if it's better.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
It's not the shifting, its the whine at freeways speeds that is Nissan's issue. It's also the awful paring with the 3.5 V6. It's better in their 4 cyl applications but still the whine.

I didn't hear the whine... the car was at 1800rpms at 70 or so. And it was quiet... granted when you step on it you hear the POS 2.5 liter I4. But it won't sound any better with another transmission. :laugh:

fr4c

Ready to race!

Whine is one thing. A known issue is the CVT sounding like rattling rocks inside a tin can. Its sporadic and really jumps out at you when it happens when you're driving next to a concrete divider or inside a parking garage. The thing literally makes you sound like you're driving a shitbox.

Stupid thing is Nissan says it normal, and yet for a lot of people this eventually leads to actual CVT failure.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Furthermore this article should help quell some angst about Honda just carrying over engines

Certainly not as bad as Toyota at carrying over engines.

Christ, the 2013 Yaris still has a 1.5L 1NZ-FE in it. It's the same engine as my girlfriend's 2000 Echo. :laugh:

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
Honda right now in america is possibly the most "boring" car company there is. Even Kia and Hyundai have something of a performance model. Honda has dick I really don't know what happened with them. I guess they just dropped the enthusiast market all together. If this Unicorn of yours is really all that they have a lot of work to do and anything with Earth Dreams in the name just kills my libido.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Whine is one thing. A known issue is the CVT sounding like rattling rocks inside a tin can. Its sporadic and really jumps out at you when it happens when you're driving next to a concrete divider or inside a parking garage. The thing literally makes you sound like you're driving a shitbox.

Stupid thing is Nissan says it normal, and yet for a lot of people this eventually leads to actual CVT failure.

Nissan's CVT is abyssmal. It was worth a shot and a risk, and they took it. They need to mature the NVH and overall refinement testing on it to get it to where it needs to be.

I've driven Honda's new CVT. I was skeptical (Seriously....100% bummed that they offered it in the Accord). Immediately, I was impressed with how well it reacted for an Automatic Trans. Not only that, but the pure efficiency of a variable ratio system like that is stellar.

Certainly not as bad as Toyota at carrying over engines.

Christ, the 2013 Yaris still has a 1.5L 1NZ-FE in it. It's the same engine as my girlfriend's 2000 Echo. :laugh:

Lethargic is a good word for it. The R18 in the lower model Civics has always impressed me in terms of capability, toss-ability, and "Civic" Like. It has enough pickup too to make an Economy Car well worth it, just needs a 6speed AT or MT

For the record, the SI will never have a CVT. Whoever PM'd me about that can sleep better tonight.

Honda right now in america is possibly the most "boring" car company there is. Even Kia and Hyundai have something of a performance model. Honda has dick I really don't know what happened with them. I guess they just dropped the enthusiast market all together. If this Unicorn of yours is really all that they have a lot of work to do and anything with Earth Dreams in the name just kills my libido.

Boring? How so? Conservative styling? meager engine offerings? the fact that only the Accord has had an official redesign in the last couple of years (Civic Excluded....we all know how bad that went)? I wouldn't say we're "boring" but I definitely think that the entire lineup needs a good scrubbing over, which is exactly happening. EVERYTHING is getting reworked between 2014-2017. It started with the Accord which is selling so well that I cannot purchase one through out Purchase program.

I believe Honda took a chance to drag out what they could before they make a huge push towards the market. "Save for the future"

My "Unicorn" is left to be determined but I know it'll perform well enough for my liking (and many others) The development of the chassis has barely started but the engine is pretty much done. All Japan stuff, so I really have no idea what to expect. As far as having "Earth Dreams" Moniker...? I could care less if it was on there or not. From what I've seen, it has all the technology, but not "designation". We shall see, we're still in the 1st inning.

BAM its mitch

Go Kart Champion
Nissan's CVT is abyssmal. It was worth a shot and a risk, and they took it. They need to mature the NVH and overall refinement testing on it to get it to where it needs to be.

I've driven Honda's new CVT. I was skeptical (Seriously....100% bummed that they offered it in the Accord). Immediately, I was impressed with how well it reacted for an Automatic Trans. Not only that, but the pure efficiency of a variable ratio system like that is stellar.

Lethargic is a good word for it. The R18 in the lower model Civics has always impressed me in terms of capability, toss-ability, and "Civic" Like. It has enough pickup too to make an Economy Car well worth it, just needs a 6speed AT or MT

For the record, the SI will never have a CVT. Whoever PM'd me about that can sleep better tonight.

Boring? How so? Conservative styling? meager engine offerings? the fact that only the Accord has had an official redesign in the last couple of years (Civic Excluded....we all know how bad that went)? I wouldn't say we're "boring" but I definitely think that the entire lineup needs a good scrubbing over, which is exactly happening. EVERYTHING is getting reworked between 2014-2017. It started with the Accord which is selling so well that I cannot purchase one through out Purchase program.

I believe Honda took a chance to drag out what they could before they make a huge push towards the market. "Save for the future"

My "Unicorn" is left to be determined but I know it'll perform well enough for my liking (and many others) The development of the chassis has barely started but the engine is pretty much done. All Japan stuff, so I really have no idea what to expect. As far as having "Earth Dreams" Moniker...? I could care less if it was on there or not. From what I've seen, it has all the technology, but not "designation". We shall see, we're still in the 1st inning.

Yes, when you ignore every other car other than the Accord, Honda produces decent automobiles.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Yes, when you ignore every other car other than the Accord, Honda produces decent automobiles.

Well...its a process.

(Assuming 2014 MYs)
Pilot: FMC 2009.
Ridgeline: FMC 2006
Fit: FMC 2007
Civic: "FMC" 2012
Crosstour: 2009
CRV: 2012
CRZ: 2010
Insight: 2008
Odyssey: 2011

Once you get beyond 5 years, models are too aged.

adolan21

Ready to race!
2015 Civic Si, direct injection and possibly turbo that would be cool. I also wish some of the EX-L civics features would be options on the Si such as leather seats and heated seats. Good signs of things to come I'm sure of it.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
2015?

I don't think we have ever done a 3 model Year platform.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Not sure how long development takes, I'm assuming 4 to 5 years?

Depends on the complexity of the platform and the utilization. Normally 4 years, but the nitty gritty is in the last 2

BAM its mitch

Go Kart Champion
Well...its a process.

(Assuming 2014 MYs)
Pilot: FMC 2009.
Ridgeline: FMC 2006
Fit: FMC 2007
Civic: "FMC" 2012
Crosstour: 2009
CRV: 2012
CRZ: 2010
Insight: 2008
Odyssey: 2011

Once you get beyond 5 years, models are too aged.
And that's why you have manufacturers who do a mid cycle refresh and make their lineup last a decent bit longer than that while still looking up to date.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
And that's why you have manufacturers who do a mid cycle refresh and make their lineup last a decent bit longer than that while still looking up to date.

Exactly. The dates listed are merely the start of production years. The Minor model changes normally happen after 2-3 years. With Honda, the changes are minor, but sometimes they can be rather large. The 2013 civic MMC was supposed to go that route much later, but an accelerated development plan pretty much was key focus after a terrible launch. There won't be much else during the life of the cycle except maturation and process improvements.

Often packages are arranged every subsequent model years for better marketing. With the MKV GTI, stuff was actually removed from the original plan to price cut year to year.