GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MKVII to be built in Mexico

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
while fun to discuss, the last thing I want is the cost of our GTI's to go up. We're already looking at over $30k for an autobahn and you can get to $40k in an R. It's starting to get pretty expensive, and if putting a plant in Mexico, which has been there for 50 years, is the way to keep some expenses down, I'm all for it. If two GTI's were put in front of me and were $3-5k difference, one made in mexico, one in germany, I'll take the one in mexico. Do you really think vw is going to risk their brand? $3-5k will get me some nice mods

BackToVWs

Ready to race!
to be fair, my MKVI was made in germany, and upon receipt of the car, I noticed the vanity light was burned out >.>

COME ON, HAANS, I thought you had a 1000 point check list??

Dirt Nasty

Go Kart Champion
to be fair, my MKVI was made in germany, and upon receipt of the car, I noticed the vanity light was burned out >.>

COME ON, HAANS, I thought you had a 1000 point check list??

All the MKVI GTI's are made in Germany AMIRITE?

lightningjack

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
09 GTI
I've had 3 VW's. 2 GTI's. My first GTI was built in Mexico, and spent more time at the dealer than in my driveway. Every recall/TSB out there affected my car. It was an 02, and by the time I got rid of it, even the dealer joked it had more 03 parts in it than 02. My current GTI was built in Germany. So far it's been affected by 2 recalls, which compared to the same time frame on the 02 is nothing! I would NOT trust the quality in Mexico. My Jetta was from Brazil, and with the exception of having to replace the same rear brake caliper twice, I had no issues!

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
You are mixing up where your gti and jetta were produced.

recalls have nothing to do with country of assembly since most of the parts that are recalled are made in the same place and shipped to all the assembly plants.

zanyrsc

Ready to race!
QUALITY FROM THE MK5 JETTA AND THE NEW JETTA IS COMPLITLY DIFERENT. BOTH MADE IN THE SAME PLANT IN MEXICO.THE ONLY WAY THE QULITY WILL GO DOWN IS IF VW TRYS TO MAKE TONS OF CHEAP CHANGES LIKE THEY DIDTO THE JETTA.(sorry for caps)
the new passat still a well made vehicle. cheper but still nice , like the old one.there is many cars that come out of the mexico plant
south america gets cars that we dont get in the us
http://www.vw.com.mx/es/models.html

Bendial

Ready to race!
Well, if this means anything, the Fender Stratocasters made in Mexico have better craftsmanship than the ones made here in the US and they are a fraction of the price. Contrary to Arizona belief, Mexican people are incredibly skilled people who put pride in what they do, and I don't see this as being a deal breaker

Keithuk

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTD (170) 2010

tmiw

Go Kart Champion

Red2011GTI

Go Kart Champion
My sister had a 2000 "New Beetle" made in Mexico... holy shit, that thing was a fucking Lemon to best all lemons. Oil issues, electrical, trans, etc, etc... My father bought it for her and he is scared to death of VW products now, haha.

My wife bought a 2006 Beetle that was assembled in Mexico. Damn thing is rattling apart. Go over some rough road and it sounds like a bucket of bolts!