GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MKVII to be built in Mexico

GTITX1

Ready to race!
If you think the quality of your car sucks, blame the accountants and management first, not the engineers, and not the assemblers. It all ultimately comes down to the execs. Also, if a car built in Mexico feels cheap, the last person I would blame is the mexican man/woman on the assembly line. I don't know where people get the idea that Mexican labor is inferior.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
If you think the quality of your car sucks, blame the accountants and management first, not the engineers, and not the assemblers. It all ultimately comes down to the execs. Also, if a car built in Mexico feels cheap, the last person I would blame is the mexican man/woman on the assembly line. I don't know where people get the idea that Mexican labor is inferior.

That's a good call out. Engineers have to work within a cost allowance which is dictated further upstream. I'm sure they try and make the most with what they're given.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 Golf R Stg3 APR
Behavior can be ignorant...you said we ARE ignorant. Big difference.

Technically, ignorant is a gray term. I am ignorant of how to repair a jet turbine engine. Doesn't mean I am an idiot. There is a basis for his use of the term ignorant here, although I agree that it came across as rude. Ignorant has taken on a more aggressive meaning, but it was not meant to be that way.

Saying that a product is inherently crappy based SOLEY on it's country of manufacture shows a distinct lack of understanding of global parts sourcing and design/production elements. Lack of understanding and knowledge is one of the main definitions of "ignorant".

You are right though, everyone is allowed to have their opinion. And some people express theirs in a confrontational manner, especially on the Internet. :thumbsup:

kbuddha

Ready to race!
I'm a little late to this one.

I've owned German cars, Made in Germany, Mexico and Brazil. And multiple cars from each country. Honestly the best car I've owned are the ones put together in germany. My old MKIII made in mexico was pure garbage, just like my Jettas made in mexico. Pure cheaply made crap, they sounded like tin cars. My wolfsburg Jetta was amazing.. HUGE difference, my MKVI GTI made in Germany amazing.

I'm sure some good cars come out of the Mexico plant, but it seems like more Garbage comes out of that plant than good ones!

IMHO a german car should come from Germany!

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion

I've owned German cars, Made in Germany, Mexico and Brazil. And multiple cars from each country. Honestly the best car I've owned are the ones put together in germany. My old MKIII made in mexico was pure garbage, just like my Jettas made in mexico. Pure cheaply made crap, they sounded like tin cars. My wolfsburg Jetta was amazing.. HUGE difference, my MKVI GTI made in Germany amazing.

What year was your mk3? The plant in mexico was not even finished being built when VW launched the mk3 jetta and the first runs of cars were crap due to the factory being new not the location of the plant. They were pumping out cars with the building still under construction they were that far behind, which affected quality.

IT was hard to tell where you were saying your wolfsburg edition jetta was made, but it wasn't in wolfsburg. (if you knew that sorry just couldn't tell from your post)

GTITX1

Ready to race!

I'm sure some good cars come out of the Mexico plant, but it seems like more Garbage comes out of that plant than good ones!

IMHO a german car should come from Germany!

This is not directed completely at you, but rather these posts about the quality of the car being based on the point of assembly. If a car sounds like a tin can and has cheap plastics, etc, that has very very little to do with point of assembly, but rather the engineering, and ultimately the budget of the build.

I think many people are missing the cause and effect here. The VW's coming out of mexico may well have been inferior, because they were constructed using inferior materials to cut costs, which is why they were being assembled in mexico to begin with...cheaper labor costs. Basically, the bean counters got greedy, and where not happy to stop at cheaper labor costs, and decided to cut into the cost of the materials and construction of the vehicle itself.

Are there some bad engineers? Sure, but most of this stuff comes down to budget constraints, especially the fit and finish of a vehicle, which is what most people notice.

Bottom line, if you take the exact same parts, send some to an assembly line in Wolfsburg, and some to an assembly line in Mexico, I doubt anyone could pick which car came from which with any kind of reliability.

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
This is not directed completely at you, but rather these posts about the quality of the car being based on the point of assembly. If a car sounds like a tin can and has cheap plastics, etc, that has very very little to do with point of assembly, but rather the engineering, and ultimately the budget of the build.

Not to mention while a mk3 may not have been the highest quality vehicle by todays standards they were infinitly better than anything else in their segment at the time. A mk3 probably used better quality materials then some of the cars in the 15K range today. It was an extremely solid car for that time.

YeahBuddy

Go Kart Champion

swfloridamk6

Go Kart Champion
Anybody know how many Golf/GTI etc are sold in Europe? I bet its alot, based on my trip there couple of weeks ago. if they moved all production outside the euro zone, those sales would probably dry up due to the taxes.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
^^Doubtful they would ever move ALL production to one facility. Most likely to maintain multiple manufacturing sites (like the Passat) to meet global demand.