GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MKVII to be built in Mexico

Keithuk

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTD (170) 2010
You can tell where your VW was made from the 11th character in the VIN number. At the moment you will see GTI is W for Europe.

11 - Assembly Plant

A - Ingolstadt, Germany
B - Brussels, Belgium
C - Taipei, Taiwan
D - Bratislava, Slovakia
E - Emden, Germany
G - Steyr/Graz, Austria
H - Hannover, Germany
J - Jakarta, Indonesia
K - Karmann, Osnabruck Germany
M - Puebla, Mexico
N - Neckarsulm, Germany
P - Mosel, Germany
R - Martorell, Barcelona, Spain
S - Stuttgart, Germany
T - Kvasiny, Czech Republic
U - Uitenhage, South Africa
V - Palmela, Portugal (previously Westmoreland, USA)
W - Wolfsburg, Germany
X - Poznan, Poland
Y - Pamplona, Spain (SEAT)
1 - Gyor, Hungary
2 - Changchun, China
4 - Curitiba, Brazil

swfloridamk6

Go Kart Champion
I think it doesn't make a difference.

You honestly think that in an almost fully automated factory, the difference between skilled mexican laborers and skilled german laborers (if there even is any actual skill difference) is really going to be a big deal?

The German engineering is what makes the difference, not the manufacturing.

Bullsh*t. Come drive my 2011 Jetta.

If GTI or even (god forbid) next R is assembled in Mexico, I will keeping my GTI for a while.

wfochris

Passed Driver's Ed
I deal with TMMBC, who produce about half of the US-bound Toyota Tacomas.

Their quality is very strong. I wouldn't hesitate (and haven't before) to buy a vehicle only due to its country of origin.

Dayv

Ready to race!
As long as the build quality is roughly the same, I don't care where they make the GTI. If it keeps the cost down so we could get more Euro-features for our dollars, I'm all for it.

This.

If there are problems with the current Mexican factories, VW should deal with them. Those problems don't invalidate the possibility of building a good car there.

GTITX1

Ready to race!
I am pretty sure my 98 GTI was built in Mexico. I can't say I ever specifically checked the VIN or anything, but I recall someone saying they were built there, or reading it somewhere.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
My sister had a 2000 "New Beetle" made in Mexico... holy shit, that thing was a fucking Lemon to best all lemons. Oil issues, electrical, trans, etc, etc... My father bought it for her and he is scared to death of VW products now, haha.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
I'm a controls engineer for a well established appliance manufacturer. Take it from me - it's the proximity of your plant that matters more then anything when it comes to quality.

Picture this - you have an issue with the testing equipment used to verify the functionality of your product. Would you rather the engineer deal with the problem via instant message and phone conferences with a guy on the manufacturing floor, or have the engineer go down there himself and diagnose it with all five senses? Which would have a better outcome for quality?

Edit: Some plants in Mexico (and I believe this was the case for VW at a point in time, not sure if it would still be the case) are managed and in large part run by second parties. The had a name, started with an 'm'... Anyhow, this would further distance the engineer and the business from the product. I don't believe that it's the hands of the operation that cut quality from products built in Mexico, but the principals of operation.

Last edited:

david9962000

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Reading the forums about the new 2012 Beetle on VWVortex, I want my VW made in Germany. That plant has been open for a while now and the new Beetle has many problems.

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
I've had a few Mexican assembled VW's, and they were no different in quality from the German models I've had.

Thunderfunk

Ready to race!
My neighbor used to have two Jettas which were made in Mexico, they were '06s I believe. Nothing but problems. I saw loner vehicles in his driveway more than the Jettas. This put me off of VW and I never thought I would want to own one. Once I found out the GTI was made in Germany my opinion changed.

dwagner88

Ready to race!
My fiancée's mkiv jetta built in Mexico has been more reliable than my much newer German built mkvi. The stigma associated with pueblo is totally false. Vw builds plenty of lemons in both factories.

stuck24

so?
Car(s)
GTI FSI
if it knocks off $3k on a fully loaded GTI. Fine by me.

If it's still $32k for a fully loaded GTI, then VW is lining is pockets. No bueno.