GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

High Gas prices

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
It's getting bad again, but I'm getting real life results of over 27mpg, so I'm not as pissed as I would be if I was back in a STI or 335 right now, lol.

VMRWheels

Go Kart Champion
The prices of gas do have an effect on our perception of driving, and how we take advantage of it but I don't think that the current prices are quite 'unreasonable' yet. The rest of the world pays quite a bit in gas. Maybe the increase in prices as of late will give people incentives to use more public transportation, and in turn could result in cities that have poor public transport to focus in on that and help improve it.

RIP335

Go Kart Champion
The prices of gas do have an effect on our perception of driving, and how we take advantage of it but I don't think that the current prices are quite 'unreasonable' yet. The rest of the world pays quite a bit in gas. Maybe the increase in prices as of late will give people incentives to use more public transportation, and in turn could result in cities that have poor public transport to focus in on that and help improve it.

Your right on that note, like public transportation in LA is very poor. Granted we are getting more light rail lines. But the city is so wide spread that taking the train and then a bus to your destination is just absurd.

Then by the time all is built and done, that will be 2016 or later. Depending on city and community approvals.

Los Angeles once had a good rail system. Los Angeles Railway (LARy) but Goodyear had or still has a lot of property in Los Angles. Thus they eliminated the (LARy) and replaced it with bus based transportation. Sad really...

Last edited:

cnimativ

Ready to race!

Its going to translate into higher freight pricing thus everything we buy.

In the meanwhile, my cruise control is going to be set lower and my bike will get some more use.

bozaman

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 VW GTI (MK7.5)
i'm perfectly fine with higher prices at the pump, but not for the reasons we're seeing them at the moment.

the needless speculation about oil from libya is stupid, especially when the usa gets some minuscule amount of its crude supply from that nation. supplies are virtually unchanged but because of "fear" we see the need to run up prices for future delivery leading to immediate price increases that the pump when virtually no other factor has changed. sigh.

i'll spare this fine forum my personal views beyond the above rant....

RIP335

Go Kart Champion
i'm perfectly fine with higher prices at the pump, but not for the reasons we're seeing them at the moment.

the needless speculation about oil from libya is stupid, especially when the usa gets some minuscule amount of its crude supply from that nation. supplies are virtually unchanged but because of "fear" we see the need to run up prices for future delivery leading to immediate price increases that the pump when virtually no other factor has changed. sigh.

i'll spare this fine forum my personal views beyond the above rant....

They use these circumstances as an excuse to raise prices, look at 2 or 3 years ago too. When a gallon of gas almost hit $5. they said short supply of oil/ high oil prices/ loss of profit. Yet later that year that reported RECORD EARNINGS!
How's that? How do you lose money, but make profits and not just profit RECORD PROFIT.
Liars and theives from the corporation to our Government.

krische

vdubber in training
They use these circumstances as an excuse to raise prices, look at 2 or 3 years ago too. When a gallon of gas almost hit $5. they said short supply of oil/ high oil prices/ loss of profit. Yet later that year that reported RECORD EARNINGS!
How's that? How do you lose money, but make profits and not just profit RECORD PROFIT.
Liars and theives from the corporation to our Government.

The sooner we can get off foreign petroleum and onto domestically grown bio fuels the better.

bozaman

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 VW GTI (MK7.5)
The sooner we can get off foreign petroleum and onto domestically grown bio fuels the better.

careful...

we're beginning to touch on non-market based factors which will set off all sorts of "un-american" alarm bells when you get into establishing any sort of coherent and methodical energy policy that's not simply "drill baby, drill".

RIP335

Go Kart Champion

Yeah I hope, 10 years from now maybe. R&D for fuels and R&D for engines for the fuels. Then cost efficiency for the corporations to develope the vehicles, see if they'll be willing to take the risk.
If a 747 could fly on vegetable oil (well it was tested on one turbine engine, with success) Then a car could run on trash. Just like back to the future!

VMRWheels

Go Kart Champion
Your right on that note, like public transportation in LA is very poor. Granted we are getting more light rail lines. But the city is so wide spread that taking the train and then a bus to your destination is just absurd.

Then by the time all is built and done, that will be 2016 or later. Depending on city and community approvals.

Los Angeles once had a good rail system. Los Angeles Railway (LARy) but Goodyear had or still has a lot of property in Los Angles. Thus they eliminated the (LARy) and replaced it with bus based transportation. Sad really...
Yeah I was going to say, for example Los Angeles. It may not be something the state can fix right away but in the future we may see more efficient public transportation all over California, or the United States in general, due to inflated gas prices.
Its going to translate into higher freight pricing thus everything we buy.

In the meanwhile, my cruise control is going to be set lower and my bike will get some more use.
I'm not saying that it's a good thing, but it's just one of those things that we can't really do a whole lot about. I'm not happy to pay $4.00+ per gallon haha. To go back to what I was saying earlier though, we do have it 'good' in comparison to other nations of the world.