GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My second build on my 08 GTI

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I have some collars that can be used to pre-load the cables if you wanted me to send you some. I’m assuming you’re using factory e-brake cables?

Thank you for the offer, they do use factory cables, but from a MK4 R32. I have mine adjusted up tight and lever only can go 2 clicks. The tiny calipers just don't hold that well.

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
I have my cables set looser than that and can pull it up almost the full normal range to tighten them up. The issue I found was that the bracket was flexing when I had it set tighter.

These are Wilwood spot calipers that are very simple. They’re light, cheap and easy to replace but they aren’t a full e brake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Update - car going back to shop

Decided car just isn't running well and I found too many things that I really can't drive it. Going back to shop. Its a 51 mile tow. Thank goodness for AAA.

Perpetuus

Data Encryption
Decided car just isn't running well and I found too many things that I really can't drive it. Going back to shop. Its a 51 mile tow. Thank goodness for AAA.

Back to the luxuriousness of the A8 for now.

Hope they can help you sort it out properly

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Fingers crossed they will get it right but you know what is said about trying the same thing over and over again expecting a different outcome.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Ok, here I go again. I pick the car up tomorrow. They say it is done and runs great........

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Ok, here I go again. I pick the car up tomorrow. They say it is done and runs great........

Runs great, it had a blown intake manifold seal. Finally tracked down the issue. They drove the car quite a bit just to be sure it was ok. I drove the car home, about 50 miles on the freeway. Just constant speed driving mostly with some stop and go.

Note- VERY happy with the brakes, RS3 Master Cylinder give stock height pedal engagement with a very stock like feel.

They also finished up a couple things, all front grilles (4) replaced and the 4 point harnesses put in. Just before car went in it got new windshield, headlights too so it looks pretty fresh and super stock from the front, a little less than super stock from the side because of the massive brakes.

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
1st Drive

Ok so this morning is the first time to actually go out and drive the car and pay attention to brakes, handling and power.

First Impressions

Power - Interestingly the car is responsive from 2000 rpm on up. You can easily drive in traffic and never break 2500 rpm. When you do put your foot down it gets f***ing crazy for as long as you hold your foot down and as many gears as you can take. It is blazing fast and violent. :thumbup::thumbup: just as I hoped it would be. The power can be modulated and is not just on/off in nature. In third gear, if you bury your foot, the car will get a bit scary and move laterally rather abruptly as it launches forward like a missle. Wiith some practice I believe I will be able to track the car at this power level because the power can be so easily modulated.

Suspension - Well with almost all bushings being replaced by sphericals there is a bit more noise. The Eibach R1 coilovers are currently on soft setting and are comfortable enough for street. With all 3 X-braces in, Eibach sways etc. The car goes around a corner very flat, completely different than what I had.

Brakes - Wonderful 18z setup with RS3 master cylinder being the key to getting really nice oem like pedal travel. Guy at AU that setup the brakes said he loved them, said he has set up a number of these and too much pedal travel spoils the whole setup. I was running HPS 5.0 pads this morning, and it pulled the car down nicely. GLOC pads going on for track. The brakes just work like they were OEM built for this power level.

First real impression of the car when finally put together right - Awesome - finally! So, in all, the build seems to have come out pretty much as I hoped it would, with a balance of power, suspension and brakes. If anything is a bit out of balance it might be the gobs of power but it is adjustable. The power is a bit much and would immediately get an overly brave driver into trouble in a hurry.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I am really happy for you my friend. Finally you can enjoy the car as it should be after all of this long time and too much money :)
I pretty sure that you will love the power and the way you feel when the car behavior change completely once you push it hard.
Congratulations man and enjoy it to the max.

Thank you and thank you for all your help on this project buddy.

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
I'd very strongly recommend you upgrade from the 4 point harness to a 5 or 6 point setup. Schroth is the only company I'd trust 4 points from, and even then they're not as good as a 5/6 point setup, especially since you already have aftermarket seats, no reason to not have a sub belt imo.