GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

No compression in cylinder 2 - is this the end?

Natalie

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Last week I was driving 60mph and got a lot of misfires. I had very little power but limped the car to a gas station. I had it towed to a dealer only to find out there is no compression on cylinder 2 after they did a compression test.

I've got 203k miles on the car. The car is stock, I'm the original owner. Dealer says it's going to be a lot more than it's worth to dive into and figure out what's going on. I asked them if they could tell if any valves were stuck but they didn't know at the time. I thought you could at a minimum take out the spark plug and look inside the cylinder with a bore scope?? I didn't see any milky oil and coolant level I don't believe had dropped at all.

Anyway, anyone else have experience with this? I don't drive my car hard, just a lot of highway miles. 90 mile daily commute. Prior to this I was just checking the oil level every week to make sure it was good. I didn't notice any other signs this might be about to occur. Performed all other regular scheduled maintenance. I thought this engine would go farther but maybe this was a good life for this mk5.

I know there are a lot of Ifs as to what might be the issue but does anyone have any ballpark estimates as to what I might be looking at? (I realize it depends on what's wrong) but say I did the work myself what am I possibly looking at? Here are the codes for the engine module.

Chassis Type: 1K (1K0)
Scan: 01 03 08 09 15 16 17 19 1C 25 42 44 46 52 55 56 65 77 7D

VIN: WVWEV71K47W249053 Mileage: 327030km-203207miles

01-Engine -- Status: Malfunction 0010
03-ABS Brakes -- Status: OK 0000
04-Steering Angle -- Status: OK 0000
08-Auto HVAC -- Status: OK 0000
09-Cent. Elect. -- Status: OK 0000
15-Airbags -- Status: OK 0000
16-Steering wheel -- Status: OK 0000
17-Instruments -- Status: OK 0000
19-CAN Gateway -- Status: Malfunction 0010
1C-Position Sensing -- Status: Not registered 0001
25-Immobilizer -- Status: OK 0000
42-Door Elect, Driver -- Status: Malfunction 0010
44-Steering Assist -- Status: Malfunction 0010
46-Central Conv. -- Status: OK 0000
52-Door Elect, Pass. -- Status: OK 0000
55-Headlight Range -- Status: OK 0000
56-Radio -- Status: Malfunction 0010
65-Tire Pressure -- Status: Not registered 0011
77-Telephone -- Status: OK 0000
7D-Aux. Heat -- Status: OK 0000

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine Labels:. 06F-907-115-AXX.clb
Part No SW: 1K0 907 115 H HW: 8P0 907 115 B
Component: 2.0l R4/4V TFSI 0040
Revision: 5BH16--- Serial number: VWZ7Z0G8113011
Coding: 0403010A18070160
Shop #: WSC 02408 444 54392
VCID: 2B7BD07F8A92211CA2-807F

3 Faults Found:
000808 - Knock Sensor 1 (G61)
P0328 - 001 - Signal too High - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 2
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 324970 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 17:27:50

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 2518 /min
Load: 62.7 %
Speed: 100.0 km/h
Temperature: 92.0∞C
Temperature: 27.0∞C
Absolute Pres.: 970.0 mbar
Voltage: 14.224 V

000768 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0300 - 001 - - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100001
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 327023 km
Time: 16:49:25

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 2731 /min
Load: 78.8 %
Speed: 89.0 km/h
Temperature: 93.0∞C
Voltage: 14.097 V

000770 - Cylinder 2
P0302 - 001 - Misfire Detected - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100001
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 327023 km
Time: 16:49:25

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 2731 /min
Load: 78.8 %
Speed: 89.0 km/h
Temperature: 93.0∞C
Voltage: 14.097 V

Readiness: 0000 0000

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Perhaps a leak down test will give you more info on where the problem is. I take it by your post you have no unusual noises from engine.

Natalie

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Perhaps a leak down test will give you more info on where the problem is. I take it by your post you have no unusual noises from engine.

Nope. Engine will turn over, and rpms will settle at ~600. Car just shakes a little and the check engine light constantly flashes. They said the pressure in cylinder 2 was 14psi. Anything I should ask in particular tomorrow? Would a leak down test be something they would do in this case or only if I asked for it?

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
It will just give you more info than a comp test. They should be able to tell if its leaking from intake or exhaust valves, head gasket, rings, block.

Natalie

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Is this type of malfunction common of the bpy engine at this age and is there a "typical" life expectancy you might think of for this model year engine? I thought it would go longer seeing that it's just a daily driver with lots of highway miles and no one beating on it. Maybe I was naive to think 300k was within sight?

Natalie

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
So I call up the service tech at the dealership. I ask about the leak down because he told me they did a leak down but then he proceeds to be unclear about what they found from the leak down.

I ask him to ask the technician about the results of the leak down test. He comes back and proceeds to tell me that the tech told him there was no difference between a leak down test and a compression test (f-ing lies, Google man...) :mad0259:. Idiots just say I need a new engine, guess I'm having it towed elsewhere to see if someone else wants to do a leak down for me. How can they be so incompetent? Doesn't seem like a leak down is that hard to perform and it sure isn't the same thing as a compression test. :mad0259:

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Look like they would rather drop an engine in than diagnosis the problem, what a shame.

Natalie

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Look like they would rather drop an engine in than diagnosis the problem, what a shame.

I probably shouldn't be too surprised. I know there are solid dealers out there with people who care and know what they are talking about, but when you don't even know what you're talking about don't tell me the leak down and compression are the same. Hopefully the other independent shop can provide some real advice and a diagnosis.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
So, if he says they did a leak-down test...."again, what are the results of the leak-down test you say was done?" Or ask, "with the compression test....how much pressure leaked?" Call him out for lying to you is what I'duh done, LOL. I think I would tell the dealership's manager about his lies. At least be F'*#%^&!'n honest. Might consider taking the car in for something simple and cheap...then do the rate our service review when it is emailed to you....then, let'em have it. Most dealer shops just want to replace items when broke...not solve problems.

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
Honestly it seems the parts changer has no idea how to do a leak down test. At our dealer we had no qualms taking off valve covers, injectors, etc... to give the customer an accurate diagnosis and estimate. How else would we have been able to track down a broken valve spring on a 2.5 rabbit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Natalie

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Just to update - she'll be someone else's project or parts. Called a few other shops and they were really surprised to hear that I had 203k original miles on this engine without any cam follower, hpfp or other issues with it.

I would love to have the time and energy to play around with my first GTI to get it back on the road. Off to look at something newer. It was a good run with this VW.

Loco38SUP

Hey Natalie, did you find out for sure what was wrong with it?

It might be worth a teardown of sorts to at least determine what the next guy has to take on. This will help with selling value too.

-RJM

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Just to update - she'll be someone else's project or parts. Called a few other shops and they were really surprised to hear that I had 203k original miles on this engine without any cam follower, hpfp or other issues with it.

I would love to have the time and energy to play around with my first GTI to get it back on the road. Off to look at something newer. It was a good run with this VW.

I think you made a good decision.

Natalie

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Hey Natalie, did you find out for sure what was wrong with it?

It might be worth a teardown of sorts to at least determine what the next guy has to take on. This will help with selling value too.

-RJM

What got me rushed into getting rid of it faster was that we're closing on a house next week. I'm without my GTI and drive 90 miles a day and then I found out the dealership is resealing their lot this weekend. So when I thought I had another week to keep it around my timeline became even shorter.

Yes I could have pulled off the valve covers which I did around 150k but then I would still have to put it back together. Here is what at least the top looked like when I replaced the valve cover seal.

I would say everything looked good at least on the lobes, looks like something is scored on the exhaust side of cylinder 4 but in cylinder 2 everything is smooth.

Talking with a european shop down here, they said unless you really loved that car and want to pour a few thousand into it, probably best to just move on. Even if I were to fix whatever went wrong, I'm still left with a 203k mile car. Not to say it wouldn't last longer but seems like my money is better spent on an improved EA888 engine vs the bpy.

So yes, I'm very curious to have just taken a peek under the valve cover but living in an apartment I don't have my jack stands, jack and other tools to take off the passenger wheel, turn the crankshaft and watch to see if at least everything on the upper end is moving. Given the time crunch and trying to figure out where I can move it so that I don't have to move it from my current place to our house was also a deciding factor. The next guy happens to be copart. I ended up using Peedle to move it b/c they gave me another $280 on top of what copart was offering but found out that copart is going to get the car. I'm curious to see what it goes for at auction. Compared to a lot of others that I see for salvage I think mine, at least besides this mechanical issue was in decent condition.