GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Speedventures June 10-11 Auto Club Speedway Fontana, CA

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I see few VW folks at California Speedway when I go. I just looked at the list and there are zero VW's signed up. I am going out Saturday to test out some new mods.

You should consider coming out if you live in SoCal, it is a great outing. You can even rent a helmet there if you don't have one yet. It is a fun track for our cars and there are several groups starting with one for those who are coming out first time and moving up to those with lots of experience.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Oh well, at least there will be one other VW there - 2016 Golf R.

First outing with slicks instead of street tires. Looking forward to it. Running counter clockwise tomorrow. This likely will be last time out with this motor, might squeeze one more session in after this one.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Had a great outing at AAA California Speedway. Weather was cool in the moring but heated up in the afternoon.

This was my first outing with pure competition tires. Yoko Advan 058 slicks.

Although I have a lot of other suspension mods sitting on the bench

YCW coils with more track oriented springs
Full set of braces XB, UB and RB

Since I have run this track a number of times I wanted to see how much difference the tires made.

They made a huge difference and would rate the amount of impact right in there with going to K04 and adding an LSD.

It was a little wierd at first. These are not DOT tires and are for competition only. Sidewalls are super stiff, compound is rated medium but they are very sticky as in picking up everything on the road.

So had to wait till I got tires up to temp to lay into them. When I did so it was amazing. I was able to hit corners much harder, feel much more confident at speed on the banked oval and brake much later coming into turns.

These tires sell for about 450 ea. I picked up a used set from John Berget tires for 400. He specializes in competition tires that have 1/2 or more left in them. THIS IS A MUST HAVE if you track your car.

Believe it or not I was able to hang with this Mustang, even on the straights. He came over to me after the session and asked what the hell I had done to this thing. Yes its a GT350 and yes I know in the hands of a skilled driver I would not have hung with him but it was a cool run for me to push him around the course.

Also a good investment - brought my own shade 29.95 at Big 5

Last edited:

eiresgaus

Passed Driver's Ed
Looked like a good time! I'd love to get to one of these days sometime in the near future, just done a K04 a few thousand miles ago and recently a clutch and LSD.

Few too many problems with the car lately to even consider tracking but hopefully once it's back being a bit more reliable it'll be in my plans.

Are speedventures the main guys that do this in SoCal?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Looked like a good time! I'd love to get to one of these days sometime in the near future, just done a K04 a few thousand miles ago and recently a clutch and LSD.

Few too many problems with the car lately to even consider tracking but hopefully once it's back being a bit more reliable it'll be in my plans.

Are speedventures the main guys that do this in SoCal?

K04 and an LSD = track fun.
Speedventures are on a circuit of California tracks but there are others. I have gone to Jaguar and Porsche events, great if you have one. Speedventure open track days are pretty popular and well run and you can run just about anything.

GT0neX

NooB-Still Sucklin' Teat
I was out there running the autocross all day on Sat. Put up some decent times all things considered, but I did struggle a bit. I stick with the autocross since the entry cost is cheaper. Would have been nice to meet up, but I didn't see this thread before. I'm usually out there 3-4 times a year, but this was the first time I was able to head out in 2017 :-(

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I was out there running the autocross all day on Sat. Put up some decent times all things considered, but I did struggle a bit. I stick with the autocross since the entry cost is cheaper. Would have been nice to meet up, but I didn't see this thread before. I'm usually out there 3-4 times a year, but this was the first time I was able to head out in 2017 :-(

I may take car out again to AAA, maybe see you there. Would love to go on a ride-along on AutoX. And if you want to do a ride-along on the road course maybe we can work it.

I will warn you that once you go on the road course you will be hooked.

Last edited: