GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My MKV GTI out at the track

joesmkv

Passed Driver's Ed
Been taking my MKV GTI out on the track the last couple years, and have just had a weekend with new carbotech brake pads on my 17z conversion kit. Running Trofeo R tires, and have a full APR K04 kit with all the supporting goodies from APR as well. Half cage was built by 034Motorsport in Fremont.

Just want to share!

Helmet cam view, last session on Sunday - https://youtu.be/d913bgbMWpI

Garmin camera with OBDII and GPS data - https://youtu.be/TsN3pkx6b6E

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Awesome!

joesmkv

Passed Driver's Ed
Does anyone else who tracks their TSI motor ever run into cooling issues? Granted I feel I am pushing the car pretty hard, I don't hear of anyone running into any issues with climbing coolant temps, which I do experience when I am pushing hard.

Any thoughts? Oil is not mixing with the coolant, or vice versa. I plan to install a CSF Race radiator soon, and am looking at external oil cooler set ups. Has anyone had any issues with the factory oil cooler giving them problems?

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Does anyone else who tracks their TSI motor ever run into cooling issues? Granted I feel I am pushing the car pretty hard, I don't hear of anyone running into any issues with climbing coolant temps, which I do experience when I am pushing hard.

Any thoughts? Oil is not mixing with the coolant, or vice versa. I plan to install a CSF Race radiator soon, and am looking at external oil cooler set ups. Has anyone had any issues with the factory oil cooler giving them problems?

What intercooler do you run? A bunch of guys ran into this issue in my club last season. All of them had front mounts (Neuspeed, Forge, ARM) and all of them switched to OEM location with great success getting temps back down. The front mounts block too much air and don't allow enough to get into the rad and engine bay causing cooling issues. If you just want a cheap way around it, empty your surge tank with a syphon or plunger and fill it back up with distilled water and some water wetter. I run a 60/40 water/coolant mix in my racecar and have never had an issue. So just adjusting your coolant/water mix can help alot.

EDIT: IF YOU DON'T WINTERIZE AND STORE YOUR CAR FOR WINTER YOU MUST CHANGE THE COOLANT BACK TO 50/50 WHEN WINTER COMES!!!!!

Edit 2: How did you like the 17z setup on track? OEM master? OEM rear brakes?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Been taking my MKV GTI out on the track the last couple years, and have just had a weekend with new carbotech brake pads on my 17z conversion kit. Running Trofeo R tires, and have a full APR K04 kit with all the supporting goodies from APR as well. Half cage was built by 034Motorsport in Fremont.

Just want to share!

Helmet cam view, last session on Sunday - https://youtu.be/d913bgbMWpI

Garmin camera with OBDII and GPS data - https://youtu.be/TsN3pkx6b6E

Enjoyed the vids, thanks for posting. For much more fun, get an LSD. I was watching your throttle and exits from turns and I am guessing you don't have one. Love mine, best track mod for our cars.

I have to get one of those Garmin camera setups like yours. Again nice vid, thanks for posting. Keep them coming. If I can get a camera before I go on June 10 I will post one from Auto Club Speedway.

joesmkv

Passed Driver's Ed
What intercooler do you run? A bunch of guys ran into this issue in my club last season. All of them had front mounts (Neuspeed, Forge, ARM) and all of them switched to OEM location with great success getting temps back down. The front mounts block too much air and don't allow enough to get into the rad and engine bay causing cooling issues. If you just want a cheap way around it, empty your surge tank with a syphon or plunger and fill it back up with distilled water and some water wetter. I run a 60/40 water/coolant mix in my racecar and have never had an issue. So just adjusting your coolant/water mix can help alot.

EDIT: IF YOU DON'T WINTERIZE AND STORE YOUR CAR FOR WINTER YOU MUST CHANGE THE COOLANT BACK TO 50/50 WHEN WINTER COMES!!!!!

Edit 2: How did you like the 17z setup on track? OEM master? OEM rear brakes?

I am running all of APR's supporting mods for the K04 kit, so their intercooler, which is a factory location unit. I as well am a firm believer that a front mount does block the rad too much as well. That being said, I think I'll use a different mixture next week when I am out at Laguna Seca.

I'm in California, no need to winterize ;)

For the price, I love the 17z kit. I was able to piece it together for no more than $400, so less than a third of any aftermarket BBK. Largest cost has been the carbotech pads, but I am not equating that into the price of the overall kit. I just run Stoptech's aggressive rear pad, and toss my carbotech pads in for the track. I love it. OEM master.

joesmkv

Passed Driver's Ed
Enjoyed the vids, thanks for posting. For much more fun, get an LSD. I was watching your throttle and exits from turns and I am guessing you don't have one. Love mine, best track mod for our cars.

I have to get one of those Garmin camera setups like yours. Again nice vid, thanks for posting. Keep them coming. If I can get a camera before I go on June 10 I will post one from Auto Club Speedway.

I absolutely do not have an LSD, but that is most definitely something I am looking forward to. The car still feels more capable than I am, so I think I have some more time before I get sick of the wheel spin on the exits. Who doesn't love an open diff....

I 100% recommend getting a camera that also allows you to pull data from the OBDII, or at least one with GPS. I use a combination of Garmin, and Contour cameras while I am out on the track.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I absolutely do not have an LSD, but that is most definitely something I am looking forward to. The car still feels more capable than I am, so I think I have some more time before I get sick of the wheel spin on the exits. Who doesn't love an open diff....

I 100% recommend getting a camera that also allows you to pull data from the OBDII, or at least one with GPS. I use a combination of Garmin, and Contour cameras while I am out on the track.

The LSD will tie together your power and sticky tires in a huge way and almost instantly decrease lap times.

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
Carbotech pads vs. gskil - have you tried the new g.skil pads? I've been looking at them but haven't been brave enough to pull the trigger. Currently running carobtechs myself.

joesmkv

Passed Driver's Ed
Carbotech pads vs. gskil - have you tried the new g.skil pads? I've been looking at them but haven't been brave enough to pull the trigger. Currently running carobtechs myself.

I'm currently in talks with a few different vendors to get some better info about other pads, as I need to get a new set of track pads for the 17z calipers pretty soon. Have not heard much about the gskil though. Any info on them?

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
I'm currently in talks with a few different vendors to get some better info about other pads, as I need to get a new set of track pads for the 17z calipers pretty soon. Have not heard much about the gskil though. Any info on them?

From what I understand the founders of Carbotech sold and founded g.skil as their new company. Slightly different pad compounds etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk