GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR 93oct K04 Requested Boost

clockwise33

New York Giants Fanatic
I was just flashed with the APR 93oct K04 tune for my 2006 GTI. I'm surprised by how high the requested boost is, as it is def higher than other APR FSI K04 tunes I've seen. Does this look right, or was I flashed the wrong tune?

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion
Looks fine. I would say that's maybe even a bit lower than I would expect haha.

Hell my OTS Driver Motorsport K04 tune would peak at 27-28

clockwise33

New York Giants Fanatic
Looks fine. I would say that's maybe even a bit lower than I would expect haha.

Hell my OTS Driver Motorsport K04 tune would peak at 27-28

Was the tune requesting 28psi or was actual boost spiking past requested? Did you have a 3bar boost sensor? Also, if I'm not mistaken you threw a rod running that much boost, right?

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion
Was the tune requesting 28psi or was actual boost spiking past requested? Did you have a 3bar boost sensor? Also, if I'm not mistaken you threw a rod running that much boost, right?

I threw a rod on cruise control holding steady at 70 mph haha, as did many other K04 users recently (This one on APR's file: http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193191). I was on the 3 Bar and it requested about 27ish so it was right on the money. Your boost looks fine. I wouldn't worry about it too much as the few of us who blew up with K04 seem to be isolated cases with fairly high mileage cars with various tunes.

af09808

Passed Driver's Ed
I blew mine with traction off and just missing around and 150k on motor but then went to these Image1466431902.944531.jpg and je pistons and all new top end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clockwise33

New York Giants Fanatic
I peaked at 32 but found out apr adjusted my wastgate high

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was a concern of mine. I read of too many guys popping engines after slapping on a K04 and getting spikes to 30. The course I went to avoid this was I picked up a used Golf R turbo and turned the WG actuator down 6 turns, got tuned, and adjusted 1/2 turn at a time and logged until I liked the logs. Fortunately it only took 2 adjustments to arrive at a good balance of top-end boost meeting requested and limited boost spike, about 5 turns out from original location. However, regardless of the WGA setting, I can bring about a spike to about 25psi when stabbing the throttle in gear between 3000 and 4000rpm.

And yes, I would be happy to make due with less boost, especially in the midrange. I know that probably sounds crazy to many, but the perfect K04 tune for me would boost 17-18psi flat from 3000 to redline. I've reached out to APR to see if such a tune exists. I'm after linear torque curve, powerful top end and less torque steer for mountain roads and occasional track days. The added benefit would be that my stock rods will stay straight and connected to their corresponding pistons for many miles to come.

Last edited:

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion
Sounds like a K04/F23T with a Eurodyne Pro-tune would have been the way to go for you. Any tuner worth their weight in salt could make that happen

clockwise33

New York Giants Fanatic
Sounds like a K04/F23T with a Eurodyne Pro-tune would have been the way to go for you. Any tuner worth their weight in salt could make that happen

Thanks for that info. May look into that. The reason I went with an APR tune is that I was able to get flashed for $300 being an existing customer and that I had heard they were conservative relative to other tunes. I'm going to reflash to their 91oct tune and see how it logs.

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion
The APR tune will be fine imo. It's already one of the most conservative K04 tunes out there. Like I said you can do what you're talking about can be done, but I don't know if I'd recommend switching tunes to do it. Money doesn't grow on tree's ;)