GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI radiator replacement cost

cuckooc

I have a 2009 GTI and it has 40000 mileages on it now.

I bought this car in 2010 as a certified pre-owned and it had 6000 miles on it at that time. Within 2 weeks, the car had coolant leakage, so I brought it back to the dealer. They told me that the radiator is damaged and it had to be replaced. They said that I had ran over some hard object as they found that there was a dent under the car. But, I sweated I did not. Anyway, the car was still under warranty at that time, so I did not need to pay for the repair. So, I am fine with it.

2 months ago, the warranty has expired. And 3 weeks ago, I found out there was coolant leakage again. I went to the dealer for inspection and they told me that the radiator needs to be replaced again. They said there is no damage, no dent, no crack in the radiator, but somehow the coolant leaked from it. They thought the radiator is bad due to manufacture defect, it is just my bad luck.

As the warranty has expired, I have to pay it from my own pocket. After the repair, they handed me the bill, and it is $985. When I looked at the breakdown, I saw the radiator cost $331, coolant is $24, and the labor is $630. They claimed the rate per hour is $180. So, it is 3 and a half hour.

Do you guys think it is a fair price or a rip off?

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Omg, big rip off. $180 per hour is ferrari pricing.

Find a local shop for the install. New rad and coolant seem like ok prices but the labor is incredibly overpriced.

You might be able to get the rad for cheaper depending on your engine code. TSI is either CCTA or CBFA. CBFA, you'd be paying about the right price, CCTA is much cheaper.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Find a local shop for the install. New rad and coolant seem like ok prices but the labor is incredibly overpriced.

You might be able to get the rad for cheaper depending on your engine code. TSI is either CCTA or CBFA. CBFA, you'd be paying about the right price, CCTA is much cheaper.

Too late. He already had it done. Most importantly, where on the repair estimate did it show $180 per hour? OP, you did get that beforehand right? Only a dishonest dealer would not give you an estimate then charge you $180 per hour for labor. That's a reason to complain to VW corporate.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Too late. He already had it done. Most importantly, where on the repair estimate did it show $180 per hour? OP, you did get that beforehand right? Only a dishonest dealer would not give you an estimate then charge you $180 per hour for labor. That's a reason to complain to VW corporate.

I thought it was VW policy to have you sign an estimate so you couldn't dispute the prices after?

cuckooc

Thanks for the reply.

He did tell me the estimate before the repair. He told me that it was $1000, I was thinking it was okay at that time becoz the first time when the dealer replace the radiator under warranty, they told me that the price was $2000. So, I think it was reasonable at that moment.

But, when I looked at the breakdown after received the bill, I was shocked that the labor rate is that much. Even a 20 years experience engineer would not charge that much. So, I asked the service manager how come the labor cost is that high? He told me that a major repair has higher labor rate, $180 is average labor rate in the California Bay Area. If it is only a minor repair like changing the light bulb, it would be another rate.

Now, I tried to calculate the cost if I take it to local shop and order the parts online.

Diagnosis cost at dealer $100
Radiator order online $240
G12 coolant from dealer $ 24
Labor cost 3 hrs? $300 ($100 per hr)
Rental car for 7 days, while waiting for shipment $140

Total would be around $800?

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
You need to find a good independent shop. $500 tops.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I know I'm bumping an old thread here, but radiators are now in the $150 range.
You do NOT need to remove the front bumper, at least on 08.5 up GTI cars.
4 screws for the fans, 4 screws and 2 hoses, the radiator slips right out the top.
It's not a bad job if you have the tools (torx bits and a flat screwdriver).