GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Put Golf R brakes up front today - review coming

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I picked up a used set of Golf R front brakes and installed them today 7/7. The calipers came with stainless lines and Tyrolsport stiffners already installed. I purchased a set of HPS pads as I had used them before and liked them quite a bit (daily driver that does not see track use). So the setup for now is:

Front
Golf R calipers
345mm Geomet drilled/slotted rotors
Hawk HPS pads
Braided stainless steel lines
Tyrolsport stiffners

Rear
GTI caliper - stock
286mm Geomet drilled/slotted rotors
Hawk HPS pads
Braided stainless steel lines

ATE Blue fluid

Last edited:

NJdubber

Performance Enthusiast
Car(s)
Audi A3 2.0T FSI
:thumbsup:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Love them. First impressions?
Cost?

Reviews coming - I have only bedded them in and have not taken them out to run them yet.

Really like the look. First impression during bed-in process is that these are probably going to send me through the windshield.

Bought the calipers used for 700. They came with Tyrolsport stiffners installed and braided stainless lines. I purchased:

Drilled/slotted rotors - 240
Dust shields - 50
HPS Hawk Pads - 110

So, 1100 bucks or so.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Initial Review after 25 miles or so.

1. Great pedal feel.
2. Requires very little pedal effort to bring the car down hard/fast.

So far very happy and they fill the wheel out nicely.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Weight? What conditions are you using these in?

Yes they are heavy in fact they are very heavy. Driving it on the street, even at triple digit speeds through the canyons I didn't notice the weight and although it has changed the dynamics of the front to some degree it is really not noticeable. Those that have tried them for the track swear at them and do not recommend them but I say very nice for a daily driver. What I do notice is how hard they pull the car down even with very mild street pads (HPS all around) and how the amount of pedal effort is diminished but there is still enough linearity to safely modulate them. I am sure Brembos would be way nicer because they are so much lighter, better design etc., but I really like these so far. For me, just trying all these combos is fun.

I was using Endless pads on stock calipers, with Tyrolsport stiffners and stainless lines, that combo was very nice (Ultimate brake setup with stock calipers). ,This has almost the same feel except they feel 50% more powerful. Same design, everything is just supersized from the pads, to the piston and the rotors. The 345mm rotors fill out the wheel nicely. I am on the look out for GolfR rear brakes so I can move up to 310mm rotors in the rear.

socalhatch

Don't panic it's organic
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
nice they look really good ! even more jealous of your car now.. i just ordered some new rotors and pads for my car, do you happen to have the special rear brake pad tool ?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
nice they look really good ! even more jealous of your car now.. i just ordered some new rotors and pads for my car, do you happen to have the special rear brake pad tool ?

Thanks, what rear brake pad tool? I never used anything beyond caliper compressor tool to put my pads on?

I will certify that the R brakes really work. I was on a run around Lake Mathews this morning. Signaled pulled out and punched it. The truck in front of me decided to do the same thing a few seconds later without looking or signaling. I was just crossing his rear bumper as he pulled out. Hit the brakes and pulled myself out of harms way by about 6 inches.

You are welcome to borrow what I have as always.

Last edited:

socalhatch

Don't panic it's organic
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Thanks, what rear brake pad tool? I never used anything beyond caliper compressor tool to put my pads on?

I will certify that the R brakes really work. I was on a run around Lake Mathews this morning. Signaled pulled out and punched it. The truck in front of me decided to do the same thing a few seconds later without looking or signaling. I was just crossing his rear bumper as he pulled out. Hit the brakes and pulled myself out of harms way by about 6 inches.

You are welcome to borrow what I have as always.

ouch ! people need to pay more attention on the road specially around la seirra area..Glad those brakes bite hard and you and the mkv are all good ! they look killer too, ya that's the tool ! i cant use a regular caliper compressor because like the one you have it has to spin at the same time.

My rotors should be here on Tuesday ill shoot you an email and see if i can stop by Wednesday morning if you are available.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
ouch ! people need to pay more attention on the road specially around la seirra area..Glad those brakes bite hard and you and the mkv are all good ! they look killer too, ya that's the tool ! i cant use a regular caliper compressor because like the one you have it has to spin at the same time.

My rotors should be here on Tuesday ill shoot you an email and see if i can stop by Wednesday morning if you are available.

I can always leave it out for you to pick up. Just remind me the night before.

How is the car running? Are you going to do WMI? Got to do it, plus you live so close to Downs in Corona, getting methanol would be very convenient.

RRacerguy717

Go Kart Champion
I picked up a used set of Golf R front brakes and installed them today 7/7. The calipers came with stainless lines and Tyrolsport stiffners already installed. I purchased a set of HPS pads as I had used them before and liked them quite a bit (daily driver that does not see track use).

I Have the exact setup (HPS pads, r32 front setup only , tyrolo stiffners, Geo rotors all 4 corners ) on my BT GLI now for 6+ years they work stop great with zero noise.

During the winter upgraded to r32 rear setup ( I pu from Boston's from this forum gti part out ). I added new geo rotors for the rear and it came with HPS pads.

My only complaint is very sensitive pedal at first bite this was with just front setup and still with rear setup.
I will prob upgrade to R /mkvi gti brake master cyl so it will be less sensitive with better pedal feed back..

BTW be careful when adding r32 rear setup since you have GTI versus my heavy GLI , during high speed braking the back might get unstable and get brake lock up. This might happen depending on front springrate as your front dives down .

If you want to go with the rears may need to go with a lesser bite pad maybe even stock. Bob G

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I Have the exact setup (HPS pads, r32 front setup only , tyrolo stiffners, Geo rotors all 4 corners ) on my BT GLI now for 6+ years they work stop great with zero noise.

During the winter upgraded to r32 rear setup ( I pu from Boston's from this forum gti part out ). I added new geo rotors for the rear and it came with HPS pads.

My only complaint is very sensitive pedal at first bite this was with just front setup and still with rear setup.
I will prob upgrade to R /mkvi gti brake master cyl so it will be less sensitive with better pedal feed back..

BTW be careful when adding r32 rear setup since you have GTI versus my heavy GLI , during high speed braking the back might get unstable and get brake lock up. This might happen depending on front springrate as your front dives down .

If you want to go with the rears may need to go with a lesser bite pad maybe even stock. Bob G

Hey, thanks for sharing. I wonder if the R master cylinder is the key to biasing the brakes properly. So far with the GTI brakes in back and HPS pads it seems fine even at high speed, so far anyway. At least so far I am not finding the front brakes to be overly sensitive but I think it is because I have been driving with some aggresive pads on the stock calipers for a while so I am accustomed to a more sensitive system. If I were coming from a purely stock brake setup it would really take some adjustment/time to get used to the difference.

socalhatch

Don't panic it's organic
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I can always leave it out for you to pick up. Just remind me the night before.

How is the car running? Are you going to do WMI? Got to do it, plus you live so close to Downs in Corona, getting methanol would be very convenient.

Ok ill let you know Tuesday night they should arrive that day. The car is running better than ever the heat just sucks so i don't drive to hard during the day, and yes i plan on doing w/m as soon as i start this new job. I'm in between getting a dsg tune or the w/m first though.