GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ErBall's Thunderbunny Build log

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
Car(s)
MQB A3
Efr turbos are the way to go if you can fit them. Their massively larger than comparable t3 turbos however, and space is already at a premium with tubular manifolds. I know I couldn't fit one with this setup. The gtx3071r is a drop in turbo with my tial vband setup, so it was a no brainer.

The only efr I'd want is a 7163 which is nearly a grand more, and once you figure in a new manifold and down pipe setup I'd be downright stupid to switch.

Lastly, I don't want a turbo that spools too quickly. Having had both a k04 and a gtx28 they both just spun. 4k-ish spool and 500whp potential out of the box makes this a turbo a winner.

Mostic

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW Scirocco
Efr turbos are the way to go if you can fit them. Their massively larger than comparable t3 turbos however, and space is already at a premium with tubular manifolds. I know I couldn't fit one with this setup. The gtx3071r is a drop in turbo with my tial vband setup, so it was a no brainer.

The only efr I'd want is a 7163 which is nearly a grand more, and once you figure in a new manifold and down pipe setup I'd be downright stupid to switch.

Lastly, I don't want a turbo that spools too quickly. Having had both a k04 and a gtx28 they both just spun. 4k-ish spool and 500whp potential out of the box makes this a turbo a winner.

Totally respect man, I prefer the GTX3071R or GTX3076R with A/R .60 more than .85 [emoji106][emoji106]

I have the GTX28 with VF manifold and it spools damn fast, full boost around 3600rpm and it's really nice; also I would definitely go for the same EFR you want, and there are two ready kit in the market now. I know friend of mine run GTX3076R with tubular manifold and vband DP too and he will switch to the EFR7163 with external wastegate and he almost figure out everything and just waiting to move.

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
Car(s)
MQB A3
A quick little update:

So the 5858 was using a Tial housing intended for a gt30. "Awesome", I think "I can just switch it over to the new turbo."
Unfortunately it turns out I needed a new CHRA to turbine housing clamp.

Which is Tial proprietary.

Which costs $120.

Damn.

So I bit the bullet and ordered one.

Here's the stupid expensive clamp in all its glory.

Turbo finally assembled.

Wrapped the manifold too. Hopefully i'll have it all back together sometime soon.