GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

A build I am very happy with - got all my info on this forum

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Interesting about the top end performance. Have you always used .026" spark plug gap with the GIAC KO4 tune?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Interesting about the top end performance. Have you always used .026" spark plug gap with the GIAC KO4 tune?

I am not running the GIAC tune. Moved to Drivermotorsport when they came out and worked with Bronson to create water/meth tune. We did about 13 iterations and came up with a GREAT tune. This thing makes power from about 2400rpm to redline of 7000rpm. Love this tune, it is more aggressive than the GIAC tune I was running. It was a GIAC race file. The .026 was Bronsons recommendation after his testing.

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
What cost range are you looking at with the engine rebuild?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
What cost range are you looking at with the engine rebuild?

I have budgeted about 6000 for just the motor build.
My initial parts order was 3800. Might find a few other things to replace once the motor is out.

Last edited:

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Sounds about right, pretty much the same for me

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Well after the holidays and after track event in January it will be time to start on the build. Starting to get my checklists ready. Going with Mahle 83mm pistons (fresh bore) and DM forged rods.

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Mahles are nice and quiet, they come highly recommended. Are your rods rifle drilled?

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
I keep going back and forth on the pistons. Torn between JE and Mahle, I'm also more than likely going 83.5 and boring over slightly. I'm also at 150k miles on the original bottom end so I'd rather just bore out a little, get a slightly higher displacement and start with a fresh piston bore.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I keep going back and forth on the pistons. Torn between JE and Mahle, I'm also more than likely going 83.5 and boring over slightly. I'm also at 150k miles on the original bottom end so I'd rather just bore out a little, get a slightly higher displacement and start with a fresh piston bore.

Me too but going little more conservative 82.5 to 83mm

Mostic

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW Scirocco
DM forged rods

This DM forged are H beam or I beam?
I read that I beam is much better for aggressive tunes and big turbos, but honestly I don't know.

That what I understood from IMAN973 :iono:

Dm Forged offers both drop in H-beam rods which work with stock pistons as well as full ended I-beams for those power hungry guys out there.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...r-FSI-2-0T&p=73472283&viewfull=1#post73472283

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
This DM forged are H beam or I beam?
I read that I beam is much better for aggressive tunes and big turbos, but honestly I don't know.

That what I understood from IMAN973 :iono:

Dm Forged offers both drop in H-beam rods which work with stock pistons as well as full ended I-beams for those power hungry guys out there.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...r-FSI-2-0T&p=73472283&viewfull=1#post73472283

These are H beam and will be fine for my goal of 450-500 coupled with the Mahle pistons. Not going for max power.