GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

A build I am very happy with - got all my info on this forum

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
What?!
Why did you sell it? And what are you planning for?

Well my brother really wanted the Corvette so I sold it to him for the price I paid. He has been good to me so I was happy to pass on the deal to him.

No plans just yet. Current GTI continues to run like a champ since going with the Drivermotorsport K04 tune in 2013. It is just so perfect I almost hate to touch it.

Mostic

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW Scirocco
Well my brother really wanted the Corvette so I sold it to him for the price I paid. He has been good to me so I was happy to pass on the deal to him.

No plans just yet. Current GTI continues to run like a champ since going with the Drivermotorsport K04 tune in 2013. It is just so perfect I almost hate to touch it.

Good brother.

But you said that your son will get the GTI. Did you manage to keep it?

I would suggest starting a new project, buying a TT AWD and go for the EFR with a complete forged engine. It's my favorite one after the Rocco.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Good brother.

But you said that your son will get the GTI. Did you manage to keep it?

I would suggest starting a new project, buying a TT AWD and go for the EFR with a complete forged engine. It's my favorite one after the Rocco.

I still have it for now. He probably will get it somewhere down the line, when he is ready for it. Right now he doesn't have anywhere to store it.

TT would be a good platform to start with but I am more comfortable in the Golf R. As I recall headroom in the TT was limited for me (6'3"). So Golf R might be better for me.

Not sure what to do next - I got sidetracked with the Vette.

For the time being I will just drive and enjoy the GTI while I look for something new, no rush.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
I know the feeling, after so much time and money getting it right, when it is right you don't want to mess with it. That's kinda a where I'm at with the 09. Other than new suspension and a few odds and ends it's running great and has been a blast as my new daily.

Glad to see you are holding on to it for at least a little while and enjoying it. K04 is such a great turbo for a daily/weekend fun car.

Edit: I am so happy with the DM tune on the 06, wish they were still around so I could get the 09 on their K04 tune :-(

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I know the feeling, after so much time and money getting it right, when it is right you don't want to mess with it. That's kinda a where I'm at with the 09. Other than new suspension and a few odds and ends it's running great and has been a blast as my new daily.

Glad to see you are holding on to it for at least a little while and enjoying it. K04 is such a great turbo for a daily/weekend fun car.

Edit: I am so happy with the DM tune on the 06, wish they were still around so I could get the 09 on their K04 tune :-(

Exactly, the tune is just "delicious" with nothing but power everywhere on the rpm band. It is hard to beat a well tuned K04 for a general fun street car. Hate to change it up and find myself going backwards. There is still a good chance I will build the motor and go with the EFR 7163 kit from INA. Issam said he is going to be building an adapter that will allow the mounting of the stock downpipe which is a "deal maker" for me because of Calif smog regs. I need that or I have to stay with something K04 based like a LOBA TTE 420 (max). I would like to try and take it to 500whp if I go EFR but won't go that way if I can't get at least 500 for all the expense.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
What about a B8/8.5 S4 with the torque vectoring rear diff?

It would be a good second choice if the right deal came along. Too bad they don't some with the same motor the S6 has.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
It would be a good second choice if the right deal came along. Too bad they don't some with the same motor the S6 has.

The S6/7's are beasts. I just figured you wanted to row your own gears. Plus the S4 is large enough. The S6/7 are boats hahaha. Not a bad thing, but they're better for straight line/highway cruising.

That 3.0T engine is still a beast. A friend of mine has one with a tune and pulley and it honestly pulls as hard or harder than my friends almost full bolt on Evo X GSR despite weighing another couple hundred pounds. He also somehow managed to clear 18x9.5 ET45 RPF1's with 275/35 RE-71R's and PSS10 coils.

IMG_6178.JPG
IMG_6179.JPG
IMG_6180.JPGIMG_6181.JPG

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
The S6/7's are beasts. I just figured you wanted to row your own gears. Plus the S4 is large enough. The S6/7 are boats hahaha. Not a bad thing, but they're better for straight line/highway cruising.

That 3.0T engine is still a beast. A friend of mine has one with a tune and pulley and it honestly pulls as hard or harder than my friends almost full bolt on Evo X GSR despite weighing another couple hundred pounds. He also somehow managed to clear 18x9.5 ET45 RPF1's with 275/35 RE-71R's and PSS10 coils.

If I get an S6 it won't see any track time, it will be for the street only, too expensive with all the mods to take it to the track and thrash it. In SoCal there is no way I would buy a manual car again. S4 with 3.0T is a possible but I really like the S6 with the premium interior and with mods easy 700whp and 800ftlb or more.

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Back on track

Dreams of a new car have given way to a new project for my good old MKV which has given me 8 years of reliable and fun driving. It has been great but after 8 years its time to refresh it and if you refresh it then you might as well spend a little extra so you can add more powerful mods and break through the K04 power ceiling....

I finally pulled the trigger on an engine rebuild and a turbo upgrade. Build first, then the EFR7163 next. I am working with Isaam at INA engineering on all the parts for the motor and the turbo kit he is developing (currently being tested).

Going with
Mahle 9.1CR pistons
DM forged H rods
Calico Bearings
Full ARP 2.0 TFSI kit
Supertech valve springs and ti retainers
Upgraded exhaust valves
Fluidampr and pull balance shafts (hi rev)
And all the usual stuff
Full gasket and seal kit
Timing belt kit
EFR7163 Turbo kit

All engine work and turbo install will be done by Chris Walling here in Riverside CA.

Last edited:

Mostic

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW Scirocco
Dreams of a new car have given way to a new project for my good old MKV which has given me 8 years of reliable and fun driving. It has been great but after 8 years its time to refresh it and if you refresh it then you might as well spend a little extra so you can add more powerful mods and break through the K04 power ceiling....

I finally pulled the trigger on an engine rebuild and a turbo upgrade. Build first, the the EFR7163 next. I am working with Isaam at INA engineering on all the parts for the motor and the turbo kit he is developing (currently being tested).

Going with

Mahle 9.1CR pistons

DM forged H rods

Calico Bearings

Full ARP 2.0 TFSI kit

Supertech valve springs and ti retainers

Upgraded exhaust valves

Fluidampr and pull balance shafts (hi rev)

And all the usual stuff

Full gasket and seal kit

Timing belt kit

EFR7163 Turbo kit

All engine work and turbo install will be done by Chris Walling here in Riverside CA.

Congratulations my friend, happy that you will go for EFR7163 (it's my next upgrade but not now).
I would recommend 2000deg silver coating for manifold, turbine housing, pipes, even the DP. I know it will cost more but I prefer to keep it more colder specially with the more power of the big turbo.

Do you have expected time for the new project?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Congratulations my friend, happy that you will go for EFR7163 (it's my next upgrade but not now).
I would recommend 2000deg silver coating for manifold, turbine housing, pipes, even the DP. I know it will cost more but I prefer to keep it more colder specially with the more power of the big turbo.

Do you have expected time for the new project?

Well I ordered all the engine parts today and depending on Chris's schedule we will start asap on the engine build. As soon as Isaam has the turbo kit ready I will order it, should be soon.

This should be a high revving monster when we are done.

Thanks for the tip on the silver coating, I will look into it.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Plugs after 30K mi of driving

Well I went to the dyno a few months ago and the numbers were slightly lower than my origianal dyno of 335/336 back in 2014. The engine had 44K miles on it then and it has close to 75K mi on it now. I have been very proactive about maint so I chalked up the experience to wear and an aging motor.

Looking back at my records I noticed that I had not changed the plugs since installing the K04. Doh! How did overlook the basics.

I pulled the plugs today and put some new ones in. Burn color was a beautiful even tan on all 4....... but the gap had worn to .036-.038 on all the plugs which would certainly explain some things. Put the new plugs back in gapped at the proper .026 and wow what a difference, especially top-end.

Should have checked and changed these sooo long ago. Car feels like it did when the K04 was originally installed.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Well I went to the dyno a few months ago and the numbers were slightly lower than my origianal dyno of 335/336 back in 2014. The engine had 44K miles on it then and it has close to 75K mi on it now. I have been very proactive about maint so I chalked up the experience to wear and an aging motor.

Looking back at my records I noticed that I had not changed the plugs since installing the K04. Doh! How did overlook the basics.

I pulled the plugs today and put some new ones in. Burn color was a beautiful even tan on all 4....... but the gap had worn to .036-.038 on all the plugs which would certainly explain some things. Put the new plugs back in gapped at the proper .026 and wow what a difference, especially top-end.

Should have checked and changed these sooo long ago. Car feels like it did when the K04 was originally installed.

DAMN thanks for reminding me. All 3 cars are due for new plugs, what are you running with the K04?