TwentyonePSI

Crody
Car(s)
FSI

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
I quit smoking on Friday. I'm snacking like a pregnant broad, while trying to avoid social interactions that could lead to me stabbing people.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
Congrats dude!

Thanks, bud. Totally tweaking out atm but it'll be alright in a few days. I'm tired of smoking away car payment money while not being able to afford a replacement for the Bunnspeed GTI.

Assuming this sticks, the plan is to put that $300 a month into something awesome and irresponsible and fast, to replace one expensive, counterproductive vice with another. Think 2004ish Jaguar XJR or 1G CTS-V. :bonk:

Austin_hull

Für Die Liebe Des Autos
Car(s)
MK5 TR GTI REVO// +
Thanks, bud. Totally tweaking out atm but it'll be alright in a few days. I'm tired of smoking away car payment money while not being able to afford a replacement for the Bunnspeed GTI.

Assuming this sticks, the plan is to put that $300 a month into something awesome and irresponsible and fast, to replace one expensive, counterproductive vice with another. Think 2004ish Jaguar XJR or 1G CTS-V. :bonk:
It sucks at first. But it's so worth it....and nice choices...gonna pull a Matt?

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
It sucks at first. But it's so worth it....and nice choices...gonna pull a Matt?

Thanks. "Pull a Matt"? Are you talking mrbikle? I believe he has the second gen -V. I'd be getting the first gen which would be fun but a lot less epic with "only" 400hp and no forced induction to play around with.

Anyhow, I loooove the looks of the older XJRs and the outrageously classy, baroque interiors and stereotypically Jag-yew-ahr exteriors of that vintage XJR. Love the idea of having a s/c'd rwd V8 sleeper that's also super sharp and comfortable. Love the idea of doing bolt-ons and getting said sedan lower to make it look like something the baddies would drive in a Guy Richie film, and having something with which to confuse the hell out of Camaros and Mustangs. The downsides are potentially high maintenance and repair costs and limited speed potential on the stock blower. I'd be looking at the 2004+ XJR with the 4.2 motor which is supposed to be much more robust than the earlier 4.0 which has potential chain tensioner and cylinder sleeve issues.

Stock for stock the 1G CTS-V would be quicker and cheaper to own, but it isn't anywhere near as good-looking or luxurious as the XJR. At this point I think I'd be willing to sacrifice some speed to have the character and luxury of the Jag.

Austin_hull

Für Die Liebe Des Autos
Car(s)
MK5 TR GTI REVO// +
Thanks. "Pull a Matt"? Are you talking mrbikle? I believe he has the second gen -V. I'd be getting the first gen which would be fun but a lot less epic with "only" 400hp and no forced induction to play around with.
Yeah, and I think you're right, I missed you saying you were getting a 1G...my bad haha...still, 400 rwd hp will feel stupid quick, vs. GTI....

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1

Haha, I think he is. I thought he was talking about me.

First gen V is going to be cheaper to keep running and make faster than a Jaguar. 6mt too. Just make sure you get an early one (05 ideally). 2006's had the LS2, which just isn't a great engine. 04-05's had the 5.7L LS6.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Yeah, and I think you're right, I missed you saying you were getting a 1G...my bad haha...still, 400 rwd hp will feel stupid quick, vs. GTI....

They're about a 13.3-13.5 second car stock. Definitely quicker than a stock turbo MkV, but they're also damn near 2 tons. Still fun, and 420+ whp is achievable with heads, cam, exhaust, intake, and tune.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
Haha, I think he is. I thought he was talking about me.

First gen V is going to be cheaper to keep running and make faster than a Jaguar. 6mt too. Just make sure you get an early one (05 ideally). 2006's had the LS2, which just isn't a great engine. 04-05's had the 5.7L LS6.

Hmmm, this is the first I'd heard about the 6.0 LS2 not being a good motor. I'd always assumed I should look for the 6.0 instead of the 5.7, even though they are rated at pretty much the same output...always assumed the 6.0 would be slightly stronger and have more potential with basic bolts and tuning (more displacement usually yields greater dividends, mod for mod). What am I missing here?

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Hmmm, this is the first I'd heard about the 6.0 LS2 not being a good motor. I'd always assumed I should look for the 6.0 instead of the 5.7, even though they are rated at pretty much the same output...always assumed the 6.0 would be slightly stronger and have more potential with basic bolts and tuning (more displacement usually yields greater dividends, mod for mod). What am I missing here?

Looks like you can't go wrong with either. Post 17 highlights more from here. LS3 is actually the way to go, but since the CTS-V never came with that engine...

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/off-topic/2811532-ls2-vs-ls6.html

Status
Not open for further replies.