GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Eurodyne Maestro 7 tuning thread

jjakimetz

Ready to race!
I would just like some examples of what to really modify/tweak within Maestro itself without causing any harm to these engines. For example I have a file that was tweaked by C. Tapp and a file that was tweaked by FFE. If I look at the boost duty they are night and day. If I modify any of the boost duty, technically thats wastegate duty cycles, but shouldnt I be modifying timing, fuel, etc???

The general idea when tuning is that you want the engine running as efficiently as possible for maximum, safe power. So you are either adjusting air, fuel, or spark outputs per your current datalogs and AFR. If your car is already tuned and running like an OEM-spec car (Verified with datalogs and dynoruns), then you are set. Maybe you can try to make more power, which will include making more boost, adding fuel per the added air, and advancing spark timing to a safe degree (avoid knock at all costs in every condition). Once your ability to make power has run dry, then you go back through and make sure all the loose ends are tied up with the rest of the tune. There will be a lot of work involved in the process I just explained.

What do you know about controlling Drive-By-Wire? What about Variable Valve Timing control? If you are not familiar with these things, they are MAJOR and you need to be educated as much as possible about how they really work before messing with them. They control a lot of what goes on in your engine, as well as being a lot of what is used for the determining factor to enter any Limp Modes. Be careful and make sure you aren't just jacking up values to see what happens.

NJdubber

Performance Enthusiast
Car(s)
Audi A3 2.0T FSI
The general idea when tuning is that you want the engine running as efficiently as possible for maximum, safe power. So you are either adjusting air, fuel, or spark outputs per your current datalogs and AFR. If your car is already tuned and running like an OEM-spec car (Verified with datalogs and dynoruns), then you are set. Maybe you can try to make more power, which will include making more boost, adding fuel per the added air, and advancing spark timing to a safe degree (avoid knock at all costs in every condition). Once your ability to make power has run dry, then you go back through and make sure all the loose ends are tied up with the rest of the tune. There will be a lot of work involved in the process I just explained.

What do you know about controlling Drive-By-Wire? What about Variable Valve Timing control? If you are not familiar with these things, they are MAJOR and you need to be educated as much as possible about how they really work before messing with them. They control a lot of what goes on in your engine, as well as being a lot of what is used for the determining factor to enter any Limp Modes. Be careful and make sure you aren't just jacking up values to see what happens.

Trust me I got a good grasp of how things work on an engine, I graduated from Lincoln Tech many moons ago and worked as an Audi Tech. Even with all of that knowledge, Maestro is very intimidating. I guess with more experience around it and help from other members I will feel more comfortable with making changes appropriately.

jjakimetz

Ready to race!
Trust me I got a good grasp of how things work on an engine, I graduated from Lincoln Tech many moons ago and worked as an Audi Tech. Even with all of that knowledge, Maestro is very intimidating. I guess with more experience around it and help from other members I will feel more comfortable with making changes appropriately.

Ok good, as long as you understand everything going into those two systems then it should translate pretty easily into tuning software. What CAN help (at least a little) is going through the software you are dealing with and just read everything there. Try to get used to just looking at the information in front of you.

Let's see if we can tackle your current question: What should I focus on when tuning my engine?

Well, let me get some clarification, what are your power goals? What kind of power are you making with your current tune(s) and modifications? As far as fuel goes, are you datalogging so you can see if you are getting the fuel you are requesting? If you are getting more or less than you are commanding, there could be injector data that is incorrect, or an improperly tuned MAF curve. There could also just be some odd things done incorrectly in the tune that are resulting in that condition. Anyway, that may not be what you are seeing, but I was trying to provide an example so you could get a better idea of what goals you have when tuning your car.

cruizin01

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 Rabbit
In...

Im no teacher, and far from an expert but I've dicked around with maestro enough to be of some help... Its not really something most guys are gonna understand well, until you get in there and start making small adjustments and learning how the car is affected.

NJdubber

Performance Enthusiast
Car(s)
Audi A3 2.0T FSI
In...

Im no teacher, and far from an expert but I've dicked around with maestro enough to be of some help... Its not really something most guys are gonna understand well, until you get in there and start making small adjustments and learning how the car is affected.

Exactly, like I've looked at most of the tables and what not. Some of the values are hard to interpret. So where do I change requested rail pressure, and how much timing is requested. Like the way the values are set it's difficult to grasp how the system calculates it.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
In for moar shit I don't understand. :bonk:

HereticByDefault

Go Kart Champion

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
Subd. I have always wanted to learn more about tuning but never fully expanded my knowledge into the area. I more then know the basics, but as others am intimidated by using maestro myself because I know enough to get me in trouble lol (I even have a maestro unit at the shop). Curious to see if maybe we can get some base maps and would love to see if it would be possible to lower the torque on a ko4 and raise the hp. Need to get home and read some of this info when I'm not browsing on my phone.

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion

NJDubber, do you have this software? It looks VERY straightforward.

Should be what he's running.
Nj did you have to pay foe the tuning suite or did they include that as part of the development process?

jjakimetz

Ready to race!
Should be what he's running.
Nj did you have to pay foe the tuning suite or did they include that as part of the development process?

I can probably help if for some reason somebody doesn't understand what those tables are, or where to make changes... Maybe you just need to know what to datalog? It all looks very straightforward though.

EDIT:

It looks almost like too little, is that everything you would need to have access to in this PCM? Are we locked out of some pieces of the calibration for any reason?

Also, I know there are parts of calibration not in place here, but have there been issues with people needing tables that aren't defined, or is it pretty much complete?

NJdubber

Performance Enthusiast
Car(s)
Audi A3 2.0T FSI
yes this is the suite i'm running... jjakimetz, have you ever tuned in Maestro?