GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Manual Transmission Fluid Change

Kwiksilver07

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 3dr reflex silver
This is a DIY for a 07 6MT oil change.

Mechanical Skill Needed (1-10 skill rating/ 10 being the equivalent to motor building skill/ actual VAG mechanic)

Tools Needed

-Ramps/Jack/Stands (depending on how low you are. OEM 4x4 guys may not need them)
-Socket wrench
-10mm Allen socket
-Torque wrench
-Funnel w/ flexy tube ending or Funnel with silicon tubing to reach fill port
-Oil pan

Parts Needed

-Your choice of 75W90 gear oil 3L*

* You will not need all 3L of the fluid.

Instructions

1. Roll car up onto ramps or jack car up and use STANDS.
1.5. If you still have a belly pan remove it.
2. Place oil pan under transmission drain plug.
3. Remove trans drain plug using socket wrench and 10mm allen socket.
4. Remove fill port plug with same wrench and allen.
5. Let drain. (drink coffee and/or smoke cig while waiting)
6. When all fluid is drained, hand tighten drain plug back in.
7. Using proper size torque wrench, set to 30nm ~23 ft/lbs and tighten plug.
8. Run funnel from the engine bay, down past the driver side head light to fill port.
9. Refill trans with your choice of correct weight trans oil*.
*Owners manual does not state the actual capacity of the trans ( I couldn't find it). Common practice has been anywhere between 2.3L and 2.5L, I personally split the difference at 2.4L.
10. Once full, hand tighten the fill port plug.
11. Using torque wrench tighten back to 30nm.
12. Remove crap from under car, and back of ramps/remove from stands.
13. Start car and take for test drive. Make sure you start off at a slow roll, letting those gears get slathered in oil again.
14. Return home and check for leakage. No leakage:thumbsup: good to go. Leakage, check to make sure you followed step 7 and 11.

Impressions

Thicker oil will be a bit finicky in the cold and on cold starts. 1/2 gear may be a bit of a bastard when cold. May also be a little notch when cold. When warm, the shifts will be smoother then the oem fluid (which is already a pretty dang good fluid BTW).

Pic 1. Drain plug.
Pic 2. Fill port plug.

Attachments

• IMG_0973.JPG
    IMG_0973.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 29,999
  • IMG_0972.JPG
    IMG_0972.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 29,661

16whitemk7

Another Addict
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE 6mt
Sub'd. Very useful. Thanks!

Moosecakes

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
:thumbsup: great DIY! I should probably do this since i'll have my car up on the lift this weekend..

Kwiksilver07

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 3dr reflex silver
A little extra note. The motul 75w90 technyese or what ever it's called is kinda crappy in the cold. I read that some people liked it some didn't. Last might it got to 40*F here and 2/3 gear was rough getting in when the fluid was cold. I may look into a better oil or grab 3L of OEM and go back to that.

Kwiksilver07

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 3dr reflex silver
:thumbsup: great DIY! I should probably do this since i'll have my car up on the lift this weekend..

Literally takes 5 min, and it's all drain time too.

VWTiger

I am the Stig
sub'd great info!

Moosecakes

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
A little extra note. The motul 75w90 technyese or what ever it's called is kinda crappy in the cold. I read that some people liked it some didn't. Last might it got to 40*F here and 2/3 gear was rough getting in when the fluid was cold. I may look into a better oil or grab 3L of OEM and go back to that.

I used redline in my BMW's rear diff. The difference was amazing. The 330's rear diffs were notorious for being loud little bastards. Once I threw some redline 75w90 in there. Silent as could be. :thumbsup: I'm gonna probably go this route for my trans as well

Literally takes 5 min, and it's all drain time too.

Good to hear! I'll be playing with the subframe so i'll be right there anyway.

Kwiksilver07

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 3dr reflex silver
Don't get me wrong, stuff is great when it's warm. However, it's notchy almost to the point of a grind when cold. I'm not really digging that. I heard redline is equally as finiky in the cold.

Moosecakes

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Don't get me wrong, stuff is great when it's warm. However, it's notchy almost to the point of a grind when cold. I'm not really digging that. I heard redline is equally as finiky in the cold.

Strange... I wonder what people recommend then?

It doesn't get super cold here but I do NOT want to trans trans fluid to introduce a grind lol... that's retarded. I'd just leave it alone if that's the case..

Kwiksilver07

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 3dr reflex silver
Yeah I'm going back to oem on Monday. Just need to wait till the stealership is open so I can pick 3L up. Our synchros are brass and I don't wanna chew em up with all this cold start rough shifting crap.

That's because you have not used the right fluid,u used the cheaper one. You are suppose to use that if u have a noisy transmission. The right fluid is motul 300. That's the one I used and is amazing in cold ,and amazing when warmed up. Also when changing the fluid if you want to go by the book the capacity is 2.3 liters ,not 2.4 or 2.5. Buy motul 300,is way better than stock fluid,or the one you have in now.

Kwiksilver07

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 3dr reflex silver
I used the cheaper of the two because it met the specs and because it was cheaper. Just picked up 3l of the oem stuff. Should be shifting smoothly in a few mins. I usually don't bash a product, but that Motul techsynthese was absolute garbage in the cold. I would skip shifting into 3rd just to avoid the bump I felt when cold.