GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Nexus 7 HU

Stampedevxl

RACECAR > STANCECAR
Car(s)
really?
oh ok. this is too advanced for me then lol.

i need to find a way to display torque on my HU

might be possible since it has a front A/V imput, now i need to find adapter

ClassicRbt

Ready to race!
oh ok. this is too advanced for me then lol.

i need to find a way to display torque on my HU

might be possible since it has a front A/V imput, now i need to find adapter

as long as your device has av out it should look ok. however you won't have any control of it through the headunit. (the torque app, etc) :frown:

TheTroyness

I changed a tire once...
You could keep the head unit in the dash and just relocate the faceplate to the glovebox. I've seen people separate the faceplate from the HU using cat 5 ethernet cable.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ClassicRbt

Ready to race!
You could keep the head unit in the dash and just relocate the faceplate to the glovebox. I've seen people separate the faceplate from the HU using cat 5 ethernet cable.

yep, i've seen that route. Would be much easier to diagnose problems, run new rca's etc from the glove box though. I've always liked things within reach. :biggrin:

ClassicRbt

Ready to race!

the back plate worked out. going to finish the faceplate tomorrow and do the wiring.

as of now there is one problem with the mkv din size. the power connector for the nexus 7 is too big, even if I grinded the back plate down it would still hit the tabs on the side. so i have to find an l bracket shaped power input.

I will be streaming audio through bluetooth and will be getting an rca volume knob as well. this way i wont have to adjust it from the screen.

TheTroyness

I changed a tire once...
I'd like to use pogo pins for my connections. There's a leaked image of a N7 dock that uses pogo pins and has micro usb and 3.5mm out connections on the back of it. When that comes out, I could strip it down to the hardware and work that into my dash design. That way I can just drop the N7 into my dash, it be held in with neodymium magnets, and it connects via the pogos. Then I can run 3.5mm to an HU hidden behind it in the dash (with the faceplate of the HU possible visible/accessible), and USB to power inside the dash. Just have to wait on that dock to come out...

You should post a picture of your dash in some light!

ClassicRbt

Ready to race!
yea i'm just going to have to deal with the battery issue till that dock pops up. not to mention how half the charging cables need to either be shorted, or only trickle charge.

I have to take it back apart tomorrow. It should be in one piece soon, then I'll take a full pic.

ClassicRbt

Ready to race!
Tablet removed, suede backing.

With tablet, I need to mess with the faceplate a bit. Overall it's pretty much done.
]

Bluetooth audio works flawlessly. Wish i did it before.

Got a logitech home bluetooth streamer and got a compatible car adapter for it. Boots up on startup and syncs with the tablet.

TheTroyness

I changed a tire once...
Looks good from what I can tell! Is the N7 removable? Links to the Bluetooth stuff you got?

Stampedevxl

RACECAR > STANCECAR
Car(s)
really?
time for a custom wireless camera to use as backup cam!

Eric6014

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2 Door 2008 GTI DSG
Thought I'd revive this thread. I've seen a few discussions on here related to tablet installations and I'm about to start getting parts together to do an android tablet install to replace my premium 7. I'm thinking of using either a nexus 7 or LG Gpad 8.3. I've seen this thread and the one over on the MK6 forum http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22345

I'm thinking of modifying the OP's install so that the tablet is completely removable and doesn't require any physical connection. In order to accomplish this I'll need to run audio through a bluetooth head unit and I'll need to mount a wireless charger in the dash behind the tablet. The advantage of the LG pad over the nexus is the expandable storage, which would eliminate the need to have a wired connection to a USB hub.

So far I'm still researching all of the components I'll need to get this going and thought I'd revive this thread to continue the discussion with anyone who might be thinking of doing something similar. I'm hoping to get this started in the next couple weeks and will post progress for anyone interested. If the OP is still around I'd be interested to see how well the install is holding up after 2 years.