GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official GVRD chat thread (#2)

Slothy

Distrusts the trustworthy
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Of course.

Well f*ck my luck, I was driving down the road today and blew off the cap for my noise pipe port. Good thing I'm prepared and had a replacement in my trunk to throw on there. Tightened it up nice and good, about as well as the crappy screw clamp would let me, and all was well... until I went to go out tonight and POOF! There goes that one....

Well I only keep so many on hand, and this one threw a CEL as well.

I noticed there seems to be an uncomfortable amount of oil in my throttle pipe (just inspecting from the noise pipe port) and what I can only assume is the turbo was making a fantastic dentist drill noise before I parked it.

Anyone in the GVRD have a VCDS I could use in trade for beer?

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
The plugs always seem to go, sooner or later. :( Now would probably be a good time for you to upgrade to the A3/ Tiguan pipe, depending on your engine.

I do have a VCDS, but I don't rent it out or anything. I can certainly run a scan for you though. I work in Richmond, which is the best place for us to meet. What's your schedule?

Slothy

Car(s)
2008 GTI
Plugs and coils were done about 2000 KM ago when I got the valve cover gasket done. :( I'm just hoping nothing to fouled if it was running rich with a leak.

The CEL actually went away for a while yesterday and I was about to post that disaster was averted and the world was saved, but then it came back later in the day.

I work in Richmond too, so hopefully won't be too much trouble for you. I hadn't meant to rent it out, but just as thanks for doing the scan.

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
Well, I'm happy to meet you at lunch sometime then, and we'll check those codes for you. I'll PM you my number.

As for the dentist's drill sound, you probably already know from other posts that that's often a sign of turbo failure. Good news there is that K03s seem pretty cheap overall... but let's start with the codes and see what you make of them.

Fingers crossed that there's nothing more going on here but a normal amount of oil in your charge pipes, lubricating the end of the pipe so well that the plugs don't have a chance of staying put. :wink:

Slothy

Car(s)
2008 GTI
Recommended body shop?

Well got stupid busy with the new job and am finally getting that hood fixed.

Anyone recommend a good place to get a bit of body work and paint done?

Don't know if they'd try fixing it or just replace, but called up a dealership to see what a new hood goes for and list price for is $571 (and change).

Also considering getting the hatch fixed up... someone keyed it last weekend.

That said I have no clue what it costs to have stuff painted so I might not be considering it for long.

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
Had a good experience with Coache Collision in North Van. Did an amazing job looking after some rock chips for me... and then didn't even charge me! Norbert's the Man. Try `em out.

andrewi13

New to this forum and can't find any recent discussion on this, brought my GTI in to get checked after I had low fuel pressure issues (power loss going up the coq) and it looks like low and behold the cam follower is shot and the cam itself needs replacement.

I have the 2008 FSI engine that doesn't qualify for the warranty extension for this issue, i've elsewhere read (mostly american forums) that some people managed to get VW to still cover the repair. Has anyone had any similar issues with falling into the same trap warranty wise that i am, and if so, were you able to get VW to cover it whatsoever?

Slothy

Car(s)
2008 GTI
New to this forum and can't find any recent discussion on this, brought my GTI in to get checked after I had low fuel pressure issues (power loss going up the coq) and it looks like low and behold the cam follower is shot and the cam itself needs replacement.

I have the 2008 FSI engine that doesn't qualify for the warranty extension for this issue, i've elsewhere read (mostly american forums) that some people managed to get VW to still cover the repair. Has anyone had any similar issues with falling into the same trap warranty wise that i am, and if so, were you able to get VW to cover it whatsoever?

I don't think people have had the same luck north of the border.

Also is anyone else still alive on these forums? I will probably be at Market Crossing today, and am trying to make some of the other weekly meets they have listed on dubberz.

Last edited:

604GTI

#yoloSWAG
Im still here! Lol. Test drove a Mk7 Gti with PP yesterday, now im itching to spend some $$$

Slothy

Car(s)
2008 GTI
I lurk plenty still too.

Had to get my head gasket done a few months ago and made the mistake of declining on my girlfriend's offer of a Mk7 instead. :( not sure what I was thinking.

604GTI

#yoloSWAG
As awesome as it would be to get a Mk7GTI or a 7R it would be a poor financial decision at this time. Ive just decided to buy more mods for my MkV

604GTI

#yoloSWAG
Slothy I remember your car was a manual so I thought id tell you. This right here is a game changer http://www.burgertuning.com/clutch_stop_BMW.html at least for me . Paired with my short shifter its perfect. Shifts are smoother and gears engage much faster after getting rid of the dead pedal travel. Best part is that its $10!

Slothy

Car(s)
2008 GTI
I remember seeing the thread for that. One hell of a budget mod. I haven't actually had the chance to sink any money into my car for mods... it's all been repairs haha. Hopefully soon. Probably not, but hopefully. ;-)

Last edited:

babydubz

bagged life.
Car(s)
09 GTI (SOLD)
Wow good to see a few of the old members on here! I'm still kicking around as well. Car no longer bagged, on ST's now, sold the Works and on a set of SSR's. Finally got Stage 2 as well! But will probably be parting out and selling the car next year. Itching to upgrade now as well.

Here's an oldie of right before I took the bags out. I do miss it a bit once in a while :(