GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Glove box growls at me...

TheTroyness

I changed a tire once...
So recently my car has started to growl at me, and it sounds like its coming from the glove box. It happens when I start my car and when I put it in reverse. I think it sometimes does it when I go into first but it's hard to say because it's still growling from being in reverse when I go into first. I'll record some audio of it in a little while. I'm just killing time right now while I wait for the eye doctor. I just got out of the ER to have a metal shard removed from my cornea! Now they're sending me to the eye doctor. Anyways, your thoughts on the growl?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

lightningjack

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
09 GTI
Sux about the eye...been there. Have fun with the eye patch for a week.

Growl behind glove box could be the water pump.

TheTroyness

I changed a tire once...
No eye patch. He just took a drill and played around in my cornea for a bit and then gave me some eye drops and a protective contact lens. Lucky me!

The water pump you think? Why would it only do it when I first start my car and when I go into reverse? It only growls for a few seconds...

TheTroyness

I changed a tire once...
And here's a video.

Sometimes it does it when I turn the ignition. Sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes when I start the car. Sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes when I go into reverse. Sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes going into first. Sometimes it doesn't. I was thinking maybe it had something to do with the heater or A/C or something, but i know next to nothing about this cars climate control. Heater and A/C are not on. The air temp knob thing is all the way to max cold, though. Happens regardless of what position the vent is in (defrost, foot vents, face vents, bilevel vents). Recirculate is off.

I might try it with the glove box open later...

Tmsracing37

Boosty McFlamin Job
Car(s)
06 GTI
I do believe its the electric motor/solenoid that operates the fresh air/cabin air vent. Mine does the same thing and my fresh air/cabin air quit working when it started to make that sound.

lightningjack

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
09 GTI
I was getting a grinding noise from behind mine and had the pump replaced under warranty. That fixed the issue. Solenoid is another option. Not sure your mileage, but have you changed the cabin filter?

No eye patch?? Lucky bastard.

TheTroyness

I changed a tire once...
I do believe its the electric motor/solenoid that operates the fresh air/cabin air vent.

That's kind of what I was thinking. I figured it had something to do with ventilation.

I was getting a grinding noise from behind mine and had the pump replaced under warranty. That fixed the issue. Solenoid is another option. Not sure your mileage, but have you changed the cabin filter?

No eye patch?? Lucky bastard.

I've got around 70k I believe. I changed the cabin air filter not long ago.

What did you do to your eye?

did you feed it? it may be hungry :)

I regularly feed my glove box napkins! Maybe it wants less fiber in its diet...

Red-Vader

Ready to race!
That's kind of what I was thinking. I figured it had something to do with ventilation.

try skittles! my car loves them! and good luck, sorry i couldnt be of any help :thumbsup:

Ruan

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf 5 GTI

Xenor

Clean Freak
Car(s)
GTI
I do believe its the electric motor/solenoid that operates the fresh air/cabin air vent. Mine does the same thing and my fresh air/cabin air quit working when it started to make that sound.

This. The car switches the ventilation to recirculation when you put it in reverse. That's VW's fancy engineering way to prevent exhaust gasses from entering the cabin when reversing.

I bet if you have the air on, and hit the recirculate button on and off, you'd hear the noise.

skateboy___918

Ready to race!
I am 101% sure it is the Fresh air recirculating motor behind your glove box. The same thing happened to me and the dealership changed it out bc I was under warranty. It cost about $75 new otherwise. If you search tdiclub, I think there is a DIY for it

Rude Jr

Drummer for Subject 16
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI, Mk2 TT RS
I bet if you have the air on, and hit the recirculate button on and off, you'd hear the noise.

Mine is doing everything the OP said his is doing, and I was JUST about to add this in, but you got it! Finally I know what it is haha

lightningjack

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
09 GTI
Just asking since we're talking about that area. A lot of people tend to overlook it.

Scratched my cornea from top to bottom. Went to the hospital hours later, doctor numbed the wrong freaking eye at first, then went to work on the one that was red, tearing and closed!

:laughabove: