GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How-to Porsche Cayenne / VW Toureg / Audi Q7 Brembo brakes.

tomshouse516

tomtomtomotomtomtomtomtom
Car(s)
09 GT1
So for anybody looking to setup Cayenne/Touareg/Q7 6 piston Brembo caliper on the front of your MKV using 1 piece rotors:

1: 6 Piston Brembo calipers off of a Porsche Cayenne, VW Touareg, or Audi Q7.

-There are two types of calipers 17z for 330mm rotors and 17" wheels, and 18z for 350mm rotors and 18" wheels.

-You also have to consider spoke clearance as the large calipers stick outward much farther and can contact your spokes.

2: Rotors off of a 2008 Mercedes-Benz ML350 or 2008 Mercedes Benz GL450

-2008 ML350 rotor specs, these are the rotors to use with 17z calipers

-2008 GL 450 rotor specs, these are the rotors to use with 18z calipers.

3: Caliper mounting hardware from JHM Motorsports, or 5/8" x .035" Stainless tubing as a reducer and 14mm Shouldered Bolts and nuts.

http://jhmotorsports.com/shop/catal....html?osCsid=1ede1644950e51d3963aa8ba08956a91

4: 67mm - 65mm metal hub centric rings.

-These will need to be shortened as not to stick out past the face of the rotor and interfere with mounting the wheels.

5: 2004 VW MkIV .:R32 brake lines.

-Direct fit to MkV brake line and 17z-18z Calipers

The Calipers bolt directly to the stock spindle with the hardware kit from JHM. I made my own hardware using 5/8" .035 stainless tubing as a sleeve and hardened shouldered 14mm bolts and locking nuts You will need to grind some material off the very bottom of the caliper and a small spot on the control arm where the bottom of the caliper comes in contact with the control arm at full lock, it is a very minor snag that is a non issue.

Rotors are a perfect fit aside from the slightly too large center bore and the rotor hold down doesn't fit.

You use pads for the calipers you have make sure they specify 330mm for the 17z and 350mm for the 18z as they are different.

I also chose not to use the brake pad warning light and did not buy pads equipped with the wiring for them, you can turn the light off with Vag-Com or do what I did and pack aluminum foil into the connector on your can and tape it up with electrical tape.

Last edited:

Fernas

Mexibahn Native
Car(s)
MKV GLI "Red Baron"
I have seen some threads for this setup on GTI´s, would not this "unbalance" the brake bias of the car?? this will have more stopping power for sure than the stock setup, wouldnt be necessary to upgrade the rears to a more suited kit too??

Deaks2

Ready to race!
Would the 17z front calipers with the ML350 330 mm rotor and R32/Passat rear caliper with the VW 310 mm rotor be a good match?

I'm looking for something that still fits under a 17" wheel but also maintains good front/back brake balance.

Another option is the Boxster base (non-S) front calipers on OE GTI rotors, however, the brackets are $$$.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
rotors are so heavy! :frown:

A little extra rotor weight shouldn't dissuade anyone from the brakes. It's not like you have a checkered flag or trophy girl waiting for you in traffic.

cruizin01

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 Rabbit
Would the 17z front calipers with the ML350 330 mm rotor and R32/Passat rear caliper with the VW 310 mm rotor be a good match?

I'm looking for something that still fits under a 17" wheel but also maintains good front/back brake balance.

Another option is the Boxster base (non-S) front calipers on OE GTI rotors, however, the brackets are $$$.

I would think so.

I run the 17z fronts and stock gti rears and its fine. My next mod will be R32 rears.

I run 2 piece fronts which weigh the same as stock GTI rotors so I dont add any weight.

Pm me if you want to do the boxster setup. I can put some parts together for you. will be more reasonable than the 17z setup and cheaper to maintain.

tomshouse516

Car(s)
09 GT1
A little extra rotor weight shouldn't dissuade anyone from the brakes. It's not like you have a checkered flag or trophy girl waiting for you in traffic.

Yea, I am not stressing about the weight that much.
I just want something that looks awesome and brakes well enough to have some fun on the random auto-x/track day.

I don't plan to be competitive but I would love to take my car out on the track to have some fun.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
I would think so.

I run the 17z fronts and stock gti rears and its fine. My next mod will be R32 rears.

I run 2 piece fronts which weigh the same as stock GTI rotors so I dont add any weight.

Pm me if you want to do the boxster setup. I can put some parts together for you. will be more reasonable than the 17z setup and cheaper to maintain.

I've been running R32 brakes on all 4 corners for some time now. With the bigger rear brakes you can run any old pad and they never seem to wear out. My rear pads are cheapo Metalmasters that have seen some 20 DE's and still have plenty of pad.

Deaks2

Ready to race!
Shouldn't the rings be 67-57.1 mm?

black805

Ready to race!
I had 2 questions
Are these the ECS stage 3 calipers?
and and more info on the centering rings other than "65mm - 65mm metal hub centric rings"
I found loaded rebuilt calipers for 265 each, which seems just to be alright deal
Thanks

tomshouse516

Car(s)
09 GT1
I had 2 questions
Are these the ECS stage 3 calipers?
and and more info on the centering rings other than "65mm - 65mm metal hub centric rings"
I found loaded rebuilt calipers for 265 each, which seems just to be alright deal
Thanks

ECS stage 3 are Boxter calipers. These are comparable to stage 5 brakes, except you have the choice of 330mm size for 17" and up wheels and 350mm size for 18" and up.