GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

iPhone4 with factory radio

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Did some searching and looking for the simplest not crazy expensive way to hook up the iPhone4 to the factory radio. Everything states iPod but it's a bit hard to find options for the iPhone4. Honestly the main thing I listen to is iHeart Radio so maybe just swapping out the sat radio with an aux input would be the best way. Looking for thoughts and ideas on a 2006.5 option 1.

bigbadvoodooguru

GO LAKERS
Car(s)
VW Rabbit
options for the ipod work fine with the iphone 4 (if you want charging then it has to be new-gen ipod compatible, they switched the charging pin). You'll also be fine listening to app radios through the plug at the bottom.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I ended up just using the audio out from the sat unit that I wasn't using and tapping the Aux cable into it. Works like a charm as an aux in.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
There is one out there and no you don't take the radio apart. The wires you use are under the passenger seat in the harness that plugs into the Sat tuner. You could probably tap into the wires at the radio. You have to take the pins out of the sat tuner harness though or i guess you could cut the wires...I wouldn't, or else you will have to sources trying to feed to the radio and get distortion. The harness is a five wire harness.

bigbadvoodooguru

GO LAKERS
Car(s)
VW Rabbit
I just recently found out that you can tap into the satellite harness to get an aux in, but you must leave the rest of the harness and satellite radio plugged in to get the handshake.
You lose satellite radio without some kind of switching bypass though.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
You are correct Big Bad, you do have to have the sat unit plugged in and you lose the sat functionality. I don't use my Sat so it was no big deal for me. I also have a 2006.5 so no Aux input in the glove box for me.

bigbadvoodooguru

GO LAKERS
Car(s)
VW Rabbit
I already told you in your other thread that you have a weird non-USDM setup neek0la. Everyone else has an aux there. I think yours is aftermarket honestly. The plug looks remarkably similar to my DICE plug.

Xenor

Clean Freak
Car(s)
GTI
Most Premium 7 radios (silver or black buttons, whatever those are called) have built in AUX in if you do not have a factory crummy ipod adapter (which you can't use to "line out" from Pandora/IHeartRadio) or an external CD Changer. It's pretty easy to install an AUX on these radios, even if you have the ipod adapter or CD changer and you're willing to remove it.

I had the factory ipod adapter and went back to using the AUX in. You just have to repin the harness.

A few weeks ago I installed a Dension Gateway Five. It enables bluetooth phone connectivity and A2DP Bluetooth Audio. So I don't have to plug in my phone to hear the audio, just to charge it (installed hardwired USB 10a Griffin charger in my center console for that). It's a good option for a couple hundred bucks.

If you want to go cheaper, you can try to install an aux to the factory radio. There's a dealer installed aux cable part number that is the pins on one end and a 3.5mm connector on the other.