GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Modding for Longevity...Oxymoron?

BeveStrown

RIP Chewie, Bye GTHigh
Or just regular moron?

Hear me out. I want to top 175,000 miles, but I have been bitten by the mod bug. Current ones are:

2006 GTI DSG pkg2 w/Nav 72,xxx miles
Burns > 1qt per oil change
DG Springs
18" Budapest wheels
AWE Turbo Back
Cosmetics

I do want "moar fast" but in no way think, or want to think, my GTI is racecar. I know a reflash is the most fun you can have with your clothes on, but it seems to run contrary to my main objective (175k).

What can I do that will bump performance without putting undue stress on the motor? I was thinking water/meth once the Throttle Body issue gets convincingly resolved.

aftermarket cam follower is probably the biggest longevity mod you could do for the FSI engine. other than that, regular maintenance. W/M would be good since it helps a tiny bit with carbon buildup but i see too much room for error with that.

MKV Aaron

Form Follows Function
Car(s)
Golf R
Not sure if these 2 posts are for cereal. If they are, ignore them.

Replace your follower with a factory oem follower every 25k if stock, less mileage if modded. Fix anything that breaks, such as pcv valve, dv, etc. Get an intake, and downpipe if you don't want to chip. It was a noticeable difference before I went apr. Some will say catch can, but that is up to you, I wont be adding one.

I hope to get tons of miles out of my car, but would rather get a bit less with more power/fun than a bit more. Proper maint, proper replacement parts and proper install is all we can do.

BeveStrown

RIP Chewie, Bye GTHigh
aftermarket cam follower is probably the biggest longevity mod you could do for the FSI engine. other than that, regular maintenance. W/M would be good since it helps a tiny bit with carbon buildup but i see too much room for error with that.

I didn't know there was an aftermarket follower, thanks :thumbsup:

I work at a stealership, so my GTI sees a lift about once a week. I was thinking of cleaning the valves and starting a seafoam/BG regimen while I have it apart for the timing belt.

Irregardless, none of that will make me moar fast

604GTI

#yoloSWAG
aftermarket cam follower is probably the biggest longevity mod you could do for the FSI engine.
OEM follower or the upcoming HPFP Upgrade follower:thumbup: