GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Warranty Extension to 10/120k on PCV

m2ia719

Passed Driver's Ed
I got the letter from VW last weekend, 10yr or 120K...

and

DSG extention warranty?

I dont think i have got any letter reagarding the DSG box warranty....

anyone ? :frown:

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Sad thing is the 08's are having the same exact follower issues as the 06 and 07's but lo warranty love...

I was under the impression that all FSI's were covered since both the Type A cam and Type B cam can/will fail.

Got the letter today myself also. I have a BSH PCV Revamp so I'm not worried about the PCV but it's good to know I'm protected on the intake manifold flapper motor for a good while longer if it goes bad.

Same here. I still need to get a catch can. The flapper motor went bad on my car at around 30k IIRC and did cause a CEL. I didn't really have any of the hard start issues while it was happening though. Car is at 99k now.

crash331

Photographer
Car(s)
2008 GTI BM 4dr 6MT
I just got a letter today with a form saying they would reimburse for any repairs I did. My PCV diaphragm busted last summer and I replaced it with a catch can. Would this be reimbursed in any way, or would I have had to replace it with the stock PCV unit?

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
I just got a letter today with a form saying they would reimburse for any repairs I did. My PCV diaphragm busted last summer and I replaced it with a catch can. Would this be reimbursed in any way, or would I have had to replace it with the stock PCV unit?

99.9% sure it's if you replaced it with a stock part. Their not going to cover your cost when you're changing the original intended PCV design, even if it is superior.

porpoise hork

Ready to race!
Checked on mine Thursday when I took it in for a noisy a/c blower motor.

Covered! tee hee!

Now all VW needs to do is extend the cam follower and hpfp warranty extension to the 08's and ill be all set.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Checked on mine Thursday when I took it in for a noisy a/c blower motor.

Covered! tee hee!

Now all VW needs to do is extend the cam follower and hpfp warranty extension to the 08's and ill be all set.

Did you ask them about the HPFP/follower/cam issue? Maybe your car is covered and you just didn't get a notice? 08's are the same as 06's and 07's, with the exception of them probably having the Type B cam instead of the Type A cam that some 06's and 07's had. But both fail. The only 08's that are different are the 08.5's with the early TSI.

porpoise hork

Ready to race!
Yeah I asked them, but Its not covered.. yet... I even called VWoA to complain about it.

It had a Rev.A cam in it when my follower failed and was fixed with CPO. So that means it was an first series BPY engine that is covered, but because the car's manufacture date is just before the 08.5 FSI switch over date.

So VW says it has to be the Rev. B BPY engine and doesn't have plans to extend the coverage at this time. Eventhough the VW rep logged it as having the Rev. A cam when the follower damage was inspected. And it is the Rev. A cam BPY's that are covered.

I'm still fighting VW on trying to get the warranty coverage extended..

So until Vw extends the warranty to the 08 BPY's I will just check my follower and cam regularly. I'm also going to order a HPFPUpgrade follower when they get them out.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Yeah I asked them, but Its not covered.. yet... I even called VWoA to complain about it.

It had a Rev.A cam in it when my follower failed and was fixed with CPO. So that means it was an first series BPY engine that is covered, but because the car's manufacture date is just before the 08.5 FSI switch over date.

So VW says it has to be the Rev. B BPY engine and doesn't have plans to extend the coverage at this time. Eventhough the VW rep logged it as having the Rev. A cam when the follower damage was inspected. And it is the Rev. A cam BPY's that are covered.

I'm still fighting VW on trying to get the warranty coverage extended..

So until Vw extends the warranty to the 08 BPY's I will just check my follower and cam regularly. I'm also going to order a HPFPUpgrade follower when they get them out.

Oh damn, that's really shitty. Yeah, I've been replacing my follower every 15-20k. The last time I changed it though (2 or 3k ago), I could see slight scratches from the follower. The Type A cam in my engine failed at 46k back in 2009. My car now has 99k on it on the Type B cam and it's running stronger than ever, but I sort of want the cam to fail again before the 120k mark just so I'm good to go from there lol. I don't even have a HPFP upgrade, but I am one to shift at fuel cut, so I'm sure that's putting extra stress on it.

crash331

Photographer
Car(s)
2008 GTI BM 4dr 6MT
Anyone know specifics on the intake manifold runner control motor?

I had a CEL light a couple years ago that was for this and the dealer did something called an adaptation or calibration or something on it. Was this probably just an ECU fix? I don't think they took anything apart on the engine.

And what are the sings of a bad runner control motor? I've noticed my GTI has REALLY rough idle for about 2-3 mins until the car warms up and the ECU lowers the idle RPM. I just thought it was from having 85,000 miles on it, but maybe I need to get ti checked. I don't have a CEL.

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
When mine went bad, I had some times that the car wouldn't start when it was cold. If the engine was warmed up, no issue. I never had idling issues, though. Something is going on if it has rough idle for 2-3 minutes each time you start it up, definitely shouldn't have anything to do with the car only having 85k miles.

If you have access to a VAG-com, you can still scan it to see if any soft codes are stored in the ECU, that wouldn't trigger a CEL - or if a CEL had popped up once and then gone away, you can see what it was triggered for.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Anyone know specifics on the intake manifold runner control motor?

I had a CEL light a couple years ago that was for this and the dealer did something called an adaptation or calibration or something on it. Was this probably just an ECU fix? I don't think they took anything apart on the engine.

And what are the sings of a bad runner control motor? I've noticed my GTI has REALLY rough idle for about 2-3 mins until the car warms up and the ECU lowers the idle RPM. I just thought it was from having 85,000 miles on it, but maybe I need to get ti checked. I don't have a CEL.

Sure sounds like symptoms of it. Could be a PCV issue or a vacuum leak as well. Really rough idle could even be a misfire, but you should definitely get a CEL, most likely a flashing CEL from that. You don't have a Vag Com I take it? There could be some type of soft code stored that wouldn't trip the CEL.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Something is going on if it has rough idle for 2-3 minutes each time you start it up, definitely shouldn't have anything to do with the car only having 85k miles.

If you have access to a VAG-com, you can still scan it to see if any soft codes are stored in the ECU, that wouldn't trigger a CEL - or if a CEL had popped up once and then gone away, you can see what it was triggered for.

Hahaha, literally what I just said. And no, 85k and rough idle isn't normal at all. My car idles fine at 99k. Every once in awhile I'll hear a slight spike in RPM or drop that'll change the vacuum a little bit, but it's always done that. I think it's either the one step colder plugs or just how the FSI is.

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
Yeah that would be my first question - when was the last time your coils (if at all) were replaced? I'd definitely throw a new set of spark plugs in, at a minimum. Cheap enough thing to try, at least.