GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Official Unofficial FAQ for Big Turbo FSI owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was under the impression drop ins where just a stronger alternative made to be used with stock pistons?

Either way, drop ins and stock pistons should handle the 450whp you're after.

Correct completely. Stock pistons are actually very good and can handle a decent amount of power.

Im only running drop in IEs and off boost power is pretty good, considering im running a fucked turbo.

theguy1084

Ready to race!
Correct completely. Stock pistons are actually very good and can handle a decent amount of power.

Im only running drop in IEs and off boost power is pretty good, considering im running a fucked turbo.

I'm running brute rods "drop in" with a 9.5:1 head gasket. Pistons I think are a waste unless you have a tired engine or your going over 500whp. Doing rods with out pulling the head would require pulling the crank if I'm not mistaken.

mrbikle

Go Kart Champion
I mounted it on the trim piece by my legs going towards the footwell, under and to the left of the steering column

Tmsracing37

Boosty McFlamin Job
Car(s)
06 GTI
tms or bikle, u guys run the eboost street right? where did u mount the controller?

under the radio and ac control dash. Same place theguy1084 mounted his. ( he has pic a few pages back)

Gti_ever

Ready to race!
I'm running brute rods "drop in" with a 9.5:1 head gasket. Pistons I think are a waste unless you have a tired engine or your going over 500whp. Doing rods with out pulling the head would require pulling the crank if I'm not mistaken.

I'm going to go with I.E drop in rods, why did you go with a 9.5:1 gasket? Does it make a difference?

mrbikle

Go Kart Champion
if youre going to lower compression, do it with pistons.

RRacerguy717

Go Kart Champion
Anybody have issues with JE crown coatings producing high cyl heat temps?.
If you have heat reflection coating on the pistons and now the piston can't absorb the cyl heat and has no place to go ?? The kits restrictive T-25 manifold with restrictive internal gate small ar hotside housing. The Apr kit is not made to make big power. Can it make big power if Apr pushed it ? Probably on there dyno or one of there master dealers but for the average customer No. Drive the car and enjoy it for what it is in tsi form 350-400 pump gas nice Daily Driver. Take that R-32 to UM have jeff built it up and to run E-85 and call it a day LOL. If you want to get crazy do R-36 build. Bob G :thumbsup:

passatg60

Passed Driver's Ed
You can replace rods through the bottom. We have done it on several occasions when we had to drop the trans and crank. Left everything else up top intact. The piston skirts will not go past the squirters, naturally. There are provisions where you can align to slide the wrist pin through after taking off the circlip on one side. It is not for the squeamish however :smile:

Here are a set of brutes installed this way

As for drop in rods... Lately, I've not advocated swapping out just the rods out on medium to large builds. I've seen broken ring lands on more then one occasion and see it as a weak area.

RRacerguy717

Go Kart Champion
This was done with APR's "restrictive T-25 manifold" and internally gated 2781 with the small .64 ar hotside housing. :wub:

That's 1.8t its not 2L engine with fsi injection. Why did you go with and external gate .73 housing on your car with Apr T-25 manifold ? and where able to add 10 + degrees of timing on there Motorsportn sw with still with no knock? Lower egt freeing up the hotside.

Status
Not open for further replies.