GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AWE Downpipe / Stage 1 Tune

brekdown29

J-O-O
Car(s)
GTI 7.5
I did a long time ago. Good results, no issues. Why would there be?

mrbikle

Go Kart Champion
possible check engine light if it is a cat-less setup (catalytic inefficiency code), but it doesn't cause any performance issues. It is bolt on easy horsepower.

IIIHobbs

The Old Man Down the Road
Car(s)
2007 GTI
possible check engine light if it is a cat-less setup (catalytic inefficiency code), but it doesn't cause any performance issues. It is bolt on easy horsepower.

AWE offers either a 400 cell ceramic catalytic converter (for FSI) or the 200 cell metal catalytic converter (for FSI and TSI).

Masdubator

Don't hate, ******ate
Car(s)
2008 mk5 gti FSI
My AWE DP w/ metal cat should arrive in a few days. I probably won't be able to install it though as I just had knee surgery.

NewToVW

Automotive Ninja
I ran APR Stage I with a AWE metal cat dp for a long time. No probs. Nice power.

[GTI]

ForcedFedFours
Car(s)
335iS
Been debating on the awe catted downpipe as well. The awe rep confirms that the catted dp alone (stock fuel management) will pass CA sniffer test, but it will not pass visual, if the tech performed a visual. I'm apr S1 and would eventually want this setup.

blackmagic08

PP-ASEL
Just want to clear up what I am getting from this.. I have APR Stage 1 now, if I were to get the AWE (or some other) DP WITH a cat, then CEL will not be an issue? I thought that I also needed the Stage 2 flash to combat the CEL.

Should be simple but I seem to make everything more complicated... thanks in advance for the help.

Sorry to jack your thread, OP

20GLI08

Put em on the glass
Car(s)
GLI
Just want to clear up what I am getting from this.. I have APR Stage 1 now, if I were to get the AWE (or some other) DP WITH a cat, then CEL will not be an issue? I thought that I also needed the Stage 2 flash to combat the CEL.

Should be simple but I seem to make everything more complicated... thanks in advance for the help.

Sorry to jack your thread, OP

Cel can be an issue.

Worst case is you would need to get a spacer.
Not sure about awe but I believe some companies are making their DPs where the O2 bung is spaced out already to eliminate the need to purchase a spacer and eliminate the o2 issue

IIIHobbs

Car(s)
2007 GTI
Just want to clear up what I am getting from this.. I have APR Stage 1 now, if I were to get the AWE (or some other) DP WITH a cat, then CEL will not be an issue? I thought that I also needed the Stage 2 flash to combat the CEL. Sorry to jack your thread, OP

Your question is related and the main reason I am looking at AWE. The AWE website says no CEL regardless if stock or tuned.

I don't want to deal with readiness issues for emissions by going with a 3-inch DP and Stage 2 tune that masks the CEL. The AWE pipe and Stage 1 tune appears to be the best choice.

plac

GTI Master

therein is your mistake. only the AWE guarantees no CEL.

dbduke

Go Kart Champion
Why not just go APR stage II? The upgrade is free, it will turn off the CEL and free up a few more ponies. Plus its much less suspect than having an O2 spacer when getting an inspection.

In most states, you are allowed to have one readiness code fail. Even without a cat, the downpipe only causes one readiness code (catalyst efficiency) to be flagged as failed or incomplete. So as long as you don't have a CEL, you're good to go.

IIIHobbs

Car(s)
2007 GTI
Why not just go APR stage II? The upgrade is free, it will turn off the CEL and free up a few more ponies. Plus its much less suspect than having an O2 spacer when getting an inspection.

:readthethread:

I don't want to deal with readiness issues for emissions by going with a 3-inch DP and Stage 2 tune that masks the CEL.

NewToVW

Automotive Ninja
You can always request APR flash you with the Stage II "non-testpipe" file. This flash will not do anything to your readiness checks.