GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

High quality transmission stop leak?

karl87

Ready to race!
My manual transmission is leaking or weeping may be a better term from where the bellowing portion mates to the differential portion the seam there. It occurred after I replaced my transmission fluid with redline mt90, now I'm going to change to motul 300 gear. But is like to add something to help the leak, is there a European stop leak for manual transmissions? Or a full synthetic stop leak? Kind of like Lucas heavy duty oil stabalizer but id like something full synthetic preferably European to mix with the full synth ester based motul. Insight?

Sent from my HTC Liberty using Tapatalk

NewToVW

Automotive Ninja
Don't put anything in there except the proper weight gear oil.

karl87

Ready to race!
Why is that? You think I should separate my transmission and replace the gaskets as opposed to experimenting with an additive? I don't want to mess anything up so please help me out

stringshifter6

Nom Nom Nom
Car(s)
2007 GTI
You'd be better off replacing the gasket than putting some unknown fluid into your gearbox. Verify that it is leaking and not just spilled fluid from when you replaced it.

karl87

Ready to race!
I did, I've sprayed it dry with crc brake parts cleaner a few times. And its formed a drop by the end of the next day. I know Lucas works, I've used it on my dodge to solve q similar problem, but I don't know if it will mix with an ester based pure synthetic, which is why I'm hoping someone has experience with such a product. Gears, syncros, forks etc. Are all gears, syncros, and forks nothing magic about our transmissions I just want the fluids to mix well and handle the hard and hot driving that I subject my GTI to almost daily in the mountains.

karl87

Ready to race!
I agree with that, but I don't think the seals are bad persay I think its the redline oil. I'm hoping the motul works better.

Chris@RT

Banned
Changing fluids isn't going to cause or prevent leaks, this isn't a dried out cork valve cover gasket on a 50 year old car it is RTV type rubber sealent that is not broken down by transmission fluids.

If you truely believe it is a leak from the inside attempt to stop it on the outside with some expoxy or similar I Would not add any sort of stop leak to the transmission.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
All stop leak does is make the seals swell. I doubt it would work on silicone. Are any of the screws loose? Are you using lighter than stock oil?

karl87

Ready to race!
The fluid is the same weight as recomended by vw, 75w90. The screws holding the two sides of the case together where very loose, but I could only access the bottom bolts to tighten them and the leak is coming down from higher up. I suppose Ill try to smear some rtv around the edge after drying it a bit with some brakleen.

Chris@RT

Banned
The screws holding the two sides of the case together where very loose,

You need to figure out why.

If those bolts are loose enough to cause a leak then you are going to have issues down the road.

I have opened up a lot of VW transmissions and never seen those bolts just loose.

karl87

Ready to race!
They wont honor my Warranty due to having an after-market transmission and pendulum mount so I'm on my own. Ill gladly listen to suggestions, The loose bolts are the T45 torx bolts.