GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY Oil Change on GTI (without Oil Drain Tool)

Pat the Rat

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
no. the oil filter housing only drains the oil from the filter. you still need to drain it from the pan as well. do that first, then do the oil filter housing.

zap

Ready to race!
I see that this DIY has the car up on jack stands. Is the entire car up on 4 or just 2 in the front? If its just 2 in the front then is that ok? Will all the oil come out since the car is technically leaning from being up higher in the front end?

Basically what do you all do when changing your oil? Do you jack up the car? Put it up on stands? If so, how many?

Let me know.

Anyone can comment? If just 2 front stands is adequate? Will it affect the LCA mount as the support is there?

Thanks

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
Front 2 stands is adequate. Also I have the ECS aluminum housing but it's totally unnecessary and furthermore the part the filter housing threads onto is plastic so you're not really doing much by changing the housing.

goneD4rk

Banned
I don't know if you guys do this already , but if you unscrew the oil cap in the hood ..... the oil will come out faster. I noticed it "glug" out due to no passage for oxygen...... I never had to do this with other cars........ but yeah if you take the cap off while you drain, the oil will come out faster.

btw im @ 4200 for my oil change lol....... the consequences of laziness!!

I read that you should open the filter housing first and leave open

THEN
do plug for the pan. This should allow the oil to come out completely.
I have not tried this myself tho. :wink:

Avoih

Passed Driver's Ed
Instead of the 36MM socket, which I could NOT find in stores, you mentioned a 1 1/2" socket. The 1 1/2" socket is a little lose and to get a better conversion the 1 7/16" socket fits a bit more snug on the filter housing.

goneD4rk

Banned
somebuddy please confirm 1 quart is needed to go from MIN to MAX on the dip stick. Thanks.

robdj

I figured Sears would have the 36mm socket , but i'm sure would be about $20 . I read here someone went to pepBoys & got the socket for $8 , I went & checked it out & not only did they have the socket for $9.99 , but somehow the cashier gave me 50% off ( $4.99 ! ) . I was gonna pop in to my local VW dealer & buy another plug , but I figured another $20 for the quick valve so .......I pulled the trigger on it . I figured i'm@ 74,700 so.......wait a few days for the valve to come in & I'd be right about 75K . I did a short stint @ NTB this summer & NO WAY WOULD I LET SOMEONE ELSE CHANGE MY OIL .......a few knuckleheads there to say the least , but I still can roll up there & use their lifts . When I'd buy my filter for my '00 TDI from the dealer , it always came W/ ( aluminum ? ) washer taped to the box . Last oil change I removed the plug & washer & reused the same one , I did this( well we all did this @ NTB ) & no leaks .