GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mystery Noise From Intake

TheTroyness

I changed a tire once...
What the hell is this noise?

I had an AEM Stage II CAI that went down into the fender well, and I thought the noise was the intake rattling on the frame or something, because the sound was coming from the end of the intake. So I took the Stage II part off only to find the noise isn't from the fender well area where I thought it was. It is, in fact, coming from the end of the pipe. I guess the sound is resonating down the pipe.

At any rate, I wiggled the intake in all sorts and it isn't rattling. I have no idea what this noise could be, but it's incredibly annoying. It only occurs sometimes. Usually, it happens when the car first starts when the idle is slightly above 1K, but goes away once the idle drops only to intermittently reoccur at certain RPMs and under certain conditions unknown to me.

I'M SO CONFUSED AND IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY!

On a side note, Imageshack has been processing this video for several hours now after successfully uploading the video. It doesn't show up in my media and I can't link anyone to it. Tinypic took a few minutes. What are you doing with my video, Imageshack?!

Last edited:

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
hmm yeah man sounds like the intake tube is rattling on something, weird

TheTroyness

I changed a tire once...
I think I'm going to check to make sure my exhaust isn't loose. Maybe that could be rattling or something... Any other ideas?

Sent from Outer Space using Magic!

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
Sounds like the check valve in the rear PCV opening and closing, check to see if any lines to your catch can are clogged or restriced at all.

Last edited:

TicoMkv

Ready to race!
Hey I´ve just posted about the same problem, I have the exact same weird noise and I detected it after a track day last weekend. I suspect It might have something to do with the BSH PCV block off I recently installed. But please if you figure it out let me know!!

vagike

Don't worry.

Your intake is not rattling. Mine does the same thing too.

ballsdeep

Ready to race!
i pinched the hose on the return side of the cc and it stopped, i let it go and it was knocking again. ill check the rear pvc when i put on my dp.. i dont wanna jump in there twice, prolly next week its snowing here... so ill let u know if that fixes the problem.

TheTroyness

I changed a tire once...
i pinched the hose on the return side of the cc and it stopped, i let it go and it was knocking again. ill check the rear pvc when i put on my dp.. i dont wanna jump in there twice, prolly next week its snowing here... so ill let u know if that fixes the problem.

Awesome! I look forward to your results!

Sent from Outer Space using Magic!

vwbulla

Ready to race!
its the rear pcv valve.. its a valve that moves back and forth fast making that noise.
so remove it or deal with it. like me.