GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

S3 Intercooler - Not too bad with a K04...

NewToVW

Automotive Ninja
I did a few logs today to check out how the S3 IC is holding up to the K04. I'm pleasantly surprised. I thought with the 20+ psi it would struggle worse than it is.

This plot is the 3rd consecutive WOT run. I used the exact same procedure as I did in my first S3 IC thread: http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140139

• With Stage II on the stock IC, intake temps were 10-14 *C above ambient at WOT.
  • With Stage II on the S3 IC, intake temps were 6-8 *C above ambient at WOT.
  • With K04 on the S3 IC, intake temps are 9-11 *C above ambient at WOT.

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
I did a few logs today to check out how the S3 IC is holding up to the K04. I'm pleasantly surprised. I thought with the 20+ psi it would struggle worse than it is.

This plot is the 3rd consecutive WOT run. I used the exact same procedure as I did in my first S3 IC thread: http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140139

• With Stage II on the stock IC, intake temps were 10-14 *C above ambient at WOT.
  • With Stage II on the S3 IC, intake temps were 6-8 *C above ambient at WOT.
  • With K04 on the S3 IC, intake temps are 9-11 *C above ambient at WOT.

So r u saying its not enough intercooler for the ko4 in your statement ??

NewToVW

Automotive Ninja
I thought it would be worse. It's running cooler than Stage II on the stock IC and about 3*C hotter than Stage II on the S3 IC. Yeah, there's room for improvement. However, if you're in a pinch and need an IC for your K04, the S3 looks like it will get you by.

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
I thought it would be worse. It's running cooler than Stage II on the stock IC and about 3*C hotter than Stage II on the S3 IC. Yeah, there's room for improvement. However, if you're in a pinch and need an IC for your K04, the S3 looks like it will get you by.

Cool I got s3 ic installed now on my ko3 and stage 2+ and want to go ko4 and add the forge twintercooler for max cooling .

panda_man22

Go Kart Champion
awesome was waiting for u to post this

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Were ambient temps and humidity the same for all the tests you are comparing?

NewToVW

Automotive Ninja
No, so I'm only talking in terms of deltas above ambient. The ambient temps ranged from 15 - 18.5 *C across my three tests. The hottest ambient (18.5 *C) test was the K04 with S3 IC. If I catch another 15 *C morning, I'll test again and see how the K04 w/ S3 compares directly to Stage II with S3. They run radically different boost though, so it's apples to oranges no matter how you slice it.

But from my tests, I can see:
  1. Stock IC sucks
  2. S3 IC looks pretty good for Stage II cars
  3. S3 IC is heading towards its limits with a 20 psi K04... plan for an upgrade, but your car is safe

steelcurtain

Go Kart Champion
No, so I'm only talking in terms of deltas above ambient. The ambient temps ranged from 15 - 18.5 *C across my three tests. The hottest ambient (18.5 *C) test was the K04 with S3 IC. If I catch another 15 *C morning, I'll test again and see how the K04 w/ S3 compares directly to Stage II with S3. They run radically different boost though, so it's apples to oranges no matter how you slice it.

But from my tests, I can see:
  1. Stock IC sucks
  2. S3 IC looks pretty good for Stage II cars
  3. S3 IC is heading towards its limits with a 20 psi K04... plan for an upgrade, but your car is safe

And I would suspect it would be worse in 90+ temps. I've seen threads where logs were run w/ the forge twin mated with the s3. Showed gains with no increase in lag.

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
And I would suspect it would be worse in 90+ temps. I've seen threads where logs were run w/ the forge twin mated with the s3. Showed gains with no increase in lag.

Forge twin and S3 are solid combo

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Any of them would be worse in hotter ambient temps or lower humidity. For a general comparison it's fine but controlling for ambient temp and humidity level would give a more accurate comparison.

NewToVW

Automotive Ninja
Try running the stock IC with the K04.
Lol, pass. :smile:

Any of them would be worse in hotter ambient temps or lower humidity. For a general comparison it's fine but controlling for ambient temp and humidity level would give a more accurate comparison.
Agreed. Like I said, I can probably re-test on another 15 *C day and get a better comparison. But remember, I'm running different boost with the K04 compared to Stage II and the two turbos have different compressor efficiencies, so any comparison will be inherently inconsistent. My data is more of a sanity check to see if an S3 IC can keep up with a K04.

NewToVW

Automotive Ninja
We're creeping into the upper 60's/low 70's now. I haven't felt any noticeable power loss yet. If anything, it pulls harder than ever. When it gets into the mid 80's, I'll do another round of logs to check on the S3. Ideally, I'd like to do an APR IC or Twintercooler, but for now, I'm still happy.