GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Jetta GLI made in mexico....forget it!

GTI6120

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI, 08 A3
Then again, is not a superiority complex. Yes, most of the parts are put together by machines (and is not so simple as pressing buttons), but there are some parts installed by hand, ans some of the most important parts are done by hand. Both cars have the same issues because is a design problem. Everything comes down to quality control. I'm not saying that the German factory is building perfect vehicles, but at the end of the day if I had to choose, I'll take the German. Lets say you go to Best Buy, and you see a Sony LCD for $800 and it was made in Japan, and then you go to a small electronics store and you find the same tv for $700-$750 but it was made in china, which one would you pick?

As ThumbThumbs has stated, we haven't heard differences in build quality between the GTI and the GLI/jetta- as a matter of fact-I hear/see way more "rattle" complaints from GTI owners. As for the made in China thing-so much things are made in China now that I would not have any issue buying a Chinese brand over one from Japan-the parts probably came from China anyway.

DerekH

Ready to race!
Ok, so first of all lol at the thought of something sony being made in japan. Second of all, working at a car plant is one of the few decent jobs that is out there for some of those mexicans. They are going to be doing their best work to make damn sure their family get fed. I would not be worried one bit about buying a car from mexico.

MkVBlkMgc

Wir wollen lebensraum!
Car(s)
'08 GTI DSG
Before picking up the GTI, I drove a 2001 Jetta GLX VR6 5 speed.

Yes, it was built in Mexico.

No, I had no issues with it over the 200,000 miles I put on it. Hell, it had the original clutch and alternator still in it when I traded it in. Also, it never rattled.

Personally, I found no substantial quality differences between the Mexican-assembled Jetta and the German-assembled GTI.

IMO, people who shy away from the Jetta or GLI solely because it is assembled in Mexico should be driving Civics.

zee

Go Kart Champion
Vin starting with 3- Mexico. W- Germany

I think the mkv was the last gti made in germany. I think there made in mexico or the usa now.

I know the passat is no longer made in germany. The touareg might be the only german made vw for us north americans

Wrong.

MKVI Golfs are still made in Wolfsburg Germany except the Golf Wagon(USA Jetta SW) which is built in Mexico.

Passat is also still made in Emden Germany. The new Passat replacement (NMS) for North America will be built in the USA.

Touareg is made in Bratislava, Slovakia along with the Cayenne and Q7.

The only exception to this rule is China which locally builds Golfs and Passats in Eastern China for thier local sales.

BTDUBS

The Interceptor
Car(s)
Fiat 500 Abarth
well I think that if Mexico's VW Plant is as bad as some people here say dont you think the great magnanimous and overpowerful german engineers woudl have closed it already....

At least have the balls and admit its just a question of discrimination and a little bit of hate, sorry mates, be clear, I can deal with that!!
:threadjacked:

Honestly, the Puebla plant is just fine. Thats where are the Europeans get most of their Jettas.

VW did send a rep over to Mexico to tell them to put their act together and stop screwing up in the quality control part of the assembly. Nobody is discriminating nor hating (i'm spanish too) but you got to admit, in order to get cheap labor, some things, some times get omitted.

That was when they were making the MKIV there. The worst MKIV I have ever seen was my friends POS GTI 337. That thing was unreliable when it was new. If VW was having so many problems with the plant, they would have to close it.

Oh and BTW, all LCD's are either made in Korea or China now, as are probably most of the electronics in our cars...

DanoftheDead

ಠ_ಠ
Car(s)
2008 GLI
As I said people are just hating. There is no difference in the build quality of the mkv jetta/GLI or GTI. I don't even see why this has become such an argumentative thread. If anything it sounds like people are just stirring a shit pot and trying to pull an "I'm better then you cause mines from Germany". No need to hate on your fellow dubber.

As for my remark about not listening to your woman, sarcasm apparently didn't translate well over the webs.

BTDUBS

The Interceptor
Car(s)
Fiat 500 Abarth
As I said people are just hating. There is no difference in the build quality of the mkv jetta/GLI or GTI. I don't even see why this has become such an argumentative thread. If anything it sounds like people are just stirring a shit pot and trying to pull an "I'm better then you cause mines from Germany". No need to hate on your fellow dubber.

As for my remark about not listening to your woman, sarcasm apparently didn't translate well over the webs.

Oh, about that. I took your advice about women...

... My woman gave me everything I ever wanted because of it!

Alexiscoolbitches

Fortified with biscuits
Oh, about that. I took your advice about women...

... My woman gave me everything I ever wanted because of it!

**Results not typical. Your results may vary. If you experience bleeding from your head area, consult a physician immediately.**

tonytone71

so do you guys think of the Jetta (all models) more as a "chick" car? and the GTI more as a "guys" car? I know that in Europe*the Jetta (all models) are thought as old people cars & girl cars...well cuz only older people & girls buy them in Europe. Only in the USA, Mexico and China is the Jetta considered a cool car. What do you guys think?

DanoftheDead

ಠ_ಠ
Car(s)
2008 GLI
so do you guys think of the Jetta (all models) more as a "chick" car? and the GTI more as a "guys" car? I know that in Europe*the Jetta (all models) are thought as old people cars & girl cars...well cuz only older people & girls buy them in Europe. Only in the USA, Mexico and China is the Jetta considered a cool car. What do you guys think?

So this is another topic that has been debated for no real point. What you say is the typical approach between Europe and the USA. In the end though it's your money, buy what you want.

Cars don't make the man. The man makes the car.

nicolasl46

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW GTI MkVI
So this is another topic that has been debated for no real point. What you say is the typical approach between Europe and the USA. In the end though it's your money, buy what you want.

Cars don't make the man. The man makes the car.

x2, it also depends on your needs. For example, when I got my GTI I was single (another factor why I chose it over the GLI) and since I was getting a hatchback, I got it with 2 doors, yes 4 doors is more practical, but well. Now that I got married, I wish I would have got the car with 4 doors, or even a GLI (in blue :drool:) But at the end of the day it comes down to your taste. BTW I've seen many hot chicks driving GTIs, and that doesn't make it less than a mens car.