GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

what type of gas should i use?

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
Yes marknouj, I can imagine APR recommending 93 octane, but for their 93 octane tune, no?

DarkX, you've been giving some incorrect info down the line somewhere. Your manual may specify 98 RON, but ours specifies 91 PON, which is NOT the equivalent of 98 RON.

1972vw

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'09 GTI
Not chipped? Use regular. Gas is going up again, to $4 within the year.

How much of a difference does it really make? I always have put 93 in my car, but if gas goes up to $4 a gallon I'll have to start putting the regular in the car--I'm 17 and don't want to spend all my money on gas. I only drive like 300 miles a month or so, most of it in town. Bone stock 2009 GTI.

Clark

penpal

Srs Bzns
Car(s)
07 GTI , 12 R, 18 R
I put nothing but 94 in my car, the difference between regular and premium is what 10, 15 cents per liter? its only about a few dollars more to fill up with premium.

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
GTI FSI fuel type

DarkX, you've been giving some incorrect info down the line somewhere. Your manual may specify 98 RON, but ours specifies 91 PON, which is NOT the equivalent of 98 RON.

91 min
There should be a sticker on the inner side of your fuel cap lid to remind you.

Yes, henwee, there should be. :wink: And it is marked in both PON and RON :wink:

Fuel flap label for a US Mk5 2.0t FSI (BPY) engine, should be the same as the OP's 2007 US GTI

Octane Rating Calculation Methods
There are various calculation methods, RON, MON, and PON or AKI.

RON: (Research Octane Number). Most common fuel used in Europe, Australia and some other Countries.
It is determined with measurements of fuel behavior in a variable compression engine.
Results are compared with other iso-octane fuels, which means,
compared with other fuel types with equal number of similar octane molecules present,
but not the of the same organic compound.

MON: (Motor Octane Number). Determined also with a variable compression engine,
but with the fuel already preheated, variable ignition timing and higher RPMs than the RON method.
This method is more precise on determining fuel behavior on an loaded engine.

PON or AKI: (Pump Octane Rating or Anti-Knock Index): This is the method used in USA and Canada,
expressed as [R+M]/2, which means RON number plus MON number, divided by 2.
In other words, it is the average between both methods above.
Equivalency
So, due to the fact that RON is always from 4 to 5 points higher of its equivalent to PON or AKI,
the number conversion between USA and Europe octane ratings will approximately be as follows:
USA (PON) –> Europe (RON)
87 –> 91
89 –> 93
91 –> 95
93 –> 98

TornadoFast09

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MkV GTI
How much of a difference does it really make? I always have put 93 in my car, but if gas goes up to $4 a gallon I'll have to start putting the regular in the car--I'm 17 and don't want to spend all my money on gas. I only drive like 300 miles a month or so, most of it in town. Bone stock 2009 GTI.

Clark

only 300?! thats nuts! im 17 and i do like 1800 a month lol and i dont even commute anywhere

CW MKV GTI

FukenMoven!
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I've filled up the car with 93 only since I've owned it. One time I got stuck filling up with 91 and I swore I felt a pretty noticeable difference in performance.

Kleyman

Car(s)
2008 GTI MKV
Don't be cheap use 93...My ecu flash is for 93 octane...get the stage 1 ECU flash from APR 93 octane and then you will have a sure reason to fill up with 93

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Think about it, if a tune that adds 50 HP and 100 ft.lbs. of torque requires 93 octane, why would anyone here think 93 octane is necessary for a stock car? I hope there's someone with a brain here. Regular is fine if you're stock. It won't hurt anything and you'll save 20 cents per gallon. The small performance decrease won't be noticed. Do a dozen 1/4 mile runs with regular and a dozen with 93 octane. Let's see the time slips. This is all propaganda from the oil and gas station industry designed to seperate you from your money. Don't fall for it.

DarkX

Your Boss :P
Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
My info is correct. I never said 98 RON is 91 PON/AKI where did you read that? 98 RON is 93 PON/AKI. And 95 RON is 91 PON/AKI. As well as 100 RON which is what I use after my dealer's recommendation is 95 PON/AKI. My tank cap has this sticker inside which says 98 RON as minimum. Similarly to the sticker below:

Fuel flap label for a US Mk5 2.0t FSI (BPY) engine, should be the same as the OP's 2007 US GTI

->Quoted:

Octane Rating Calculation Methods
There are various calculation methods, RON, MON, and PON or AKI.

RON: (Research Octane Number). Most common fuel used in Europe, Australia and some other Countries.
It is determined with measurements of fuel behavior in a variable compression engine.
Results are compared with other iso-octane fuels, which means,
compared with other fuel types with equal number of similar octane molecules present,
but not the of the same organic compound.

MON: (Motor Octane Number). Determined also with a variable compression engine,
but with the fuel already preheated, variable ignition timing and higher RPMs than the RON method.
This method is more precise on determining fuel behavior on an loaded engine.

PON or AKI: (Pump Octane Rating or Anti-Knock Index): This is the method used in USA and Canada,
expressed as [R+M]/2, which means RON number plus MON number, divided by 2.
In other words, it is the average between both methods above.
Equivalency
So, due to the fact that RON is always from 4 to 5 points higher of its equivalent to PON or AKI,
the number conversion between USA and Europe octane ratings will approximately be as follows:
USA (PON) –> Europe (RON)
87 –> 91
89 –> 93
91 –> 95
93 –> 98
Thanks. :thumbsup:
Btw, 95 RON is the minimum you can find here, there is no 93 or 91. Also 99% of gas stations also have 100. So it's practically impossible not to find what I need, fortunately. Unfortunately though it's awfully expensive.

Last edited:

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
Yes, henwee, there should be. :wink: And it is marked in both PON and RON :wink:

Thanks JetTurbo! :thumbsup:

No worries DarkX. There was simply the implication that because your car runs 98, that an American's should run 93. My point was simply that that isn't the case.

DarkX

Your Boss :P
Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
Thanks JetTurbo! :thumbsup:

No worries DarkX. There was simply the implication that because your car runs 98, that an American's should run 93. My point was simply that that isn't the case.
It's all good. :thumbsup: I still believe though that it's best to use something just a little better than the minimum. If the minimum required is 91 PON/AKI then I would advise for 93. Just for peace of mind that's all, plus the extra horsepower. That's why my dealer recommended to use 100 RON instead of 98 which is the required for my car. They specifically told me so the day I bought the car. Now if gas price is a restriction then that's another thing.

Vladimir

Easy rider
Car(s)
4 motion
I use only 100 oct gas...Standard 08 FSI GTI with ecu reflash.
The sticker on the fuel cap/cover states "minimum 95 octane"