GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TT/S3 alloy arms & swivels Thread

jakethemoss

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mercedes Sprinter
The TT mk 2 Hub compared to the GTI hub

showing app. 15mm difference in the track width, and if you then add the 7-10mm of the TT mk 2 lower control arms you should get in trouble fender wise

To fit these to the GTI along with the TT mk 2 lower control arms you need the TT mk 2 balljoints as mentioned several times here.

On to the trouble with the inner and outer tie rods, as also mentioned before they have different lenghts so you need both the inner and outer tierod from the TT mk2, trouble is then that the inner tierod of the GTI has app. 5 mm without tread that goes inside the GTI steering rack which the TT mk 2 inner tierod doesn't have. So ideally you need the TT mk 2 steering rack which Alex has fitted to his Skoda Octavia Vrs with no problems whatsoever.
As i didn't have a TT mk 2 Steering rack on the shelf we machined the 5mm of the GTI steering rack which as the GTI inner tierod also didn't have any tread, this setup has now been on my car more than 6 month without issues, not even on track.
On a sidenote, when you extend the trackwidth with app. 22mm you are stretching the GTI driveshafts to the max and ideally you need the TT mk 2 driveshafts as well.
Actually there is 2 options as there's
1. an OEM setup with different length driveshafts.
2. an OEM setup with equal length driveshaft for the High power cars.

To compensate for the wider track i have done 2 things
1. Fitted the Kerscher 30mm wider front wings

2. Had my track wheels made in a 8x18" ET50 as opposed to 8x18" ET 45 in the rear. I could have gone for ET60 and still clear the damper leg, so my next set will ideally be 8,5x18" ET 55 and wider tyres perhaps 255 in the front

Any questions please ask, and i'll try to answer :biggrin:

TXBDan

Go Kart Champion
Thanks a ton for that info. So that confirms why the Audi TT inner tie rods are not safe with the GTI Steering rack. BE CAREFUL, GUYS.

I'd just buy the $140 mystery OEM inner tie rods from Tyrolsport and use your GTI outters to be safe.

EL_3grab

Beast from Middle East
I think he's using the track rod from the Touareg/Q7 ..

but they do have different part# for each side .. only way to be sure is to visit the parts department

7L0422803D Left
7L0422804D Right

jakethemoss

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mercedes Sprinter
I think he's using the track rod from the Touareg/Q7 ..

but they do have different part# for each side .. only way to be sure is to visit the parts department

7L0422803D Left
7L0422804D Right

TT outer tie rods also has different partnumbers, due to the shape of them

TXBDan

Go Kart Champion
If so, they're $131 each. If Tyrol is selling them for $140 a pair that's the way to go. Unless i misunderstood and he wants $140 each. But even so, its worth $18 to be sure it'll work.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
THX Jake for posting these pics again !!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

jakethemoss

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mercedes Sprinter

Carfreak226

Detailer Extraordinaire
Car(s)
2007 GTI MKV
So can the Audi TT arms be used successfully on an otherwise stock GTI with mild lowering? Or am I going to have problems with the driveshafts being to short? I will not be upgrading the spindles f.y.i.

Koni Yellows/Eibach Sportlines/Ground Control Camber plates.

jakethemoss

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mercedes Sprinter
Yes you can, i have used them with my stock GTI driveshafts for app. 6 month with no issues

Carfreak226

Detailer Extraordinaire
Car(s)
2007 GTI MKV
awesome, great to hear!!

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
I would be careful running the TT arms at full camber, that's stretching the CV's out quite a bit. I did it, but only for limited time.