GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

preparing for the worse ...

sloppyGTI

Silly Rabit
Car(s)
2019 VW gti autobahn
So my nxt duty station could be alaska and I need some alaskans to chime in wth how the gti performs in weather like that .. thanks for the info!

RICK_DIZZLE

Banned
Car(s)
07 UG GTI
GET THESE::thumbsup:

OR THIS:

OR:

Listed in order of expense.

g2.0ti

Ready to race!
^^^^lol

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
GodSquadMandrake will surely be able to provide first-hand information. If I remember correctly he was pretty happy with how the GTI handled the cold and snow.

TornadoFast09

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MkV GTI
yeah how do these do in the snow with snow tires non studded? i might end up going to school in upstate ny next year.

sloppyGTI

Silly Rabit
Car(s)
2019 VW gti autobahn
if i go i was thinking that would be the perfect opportunity to trade her in for a sti ..

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi
yeah how do these do in the snow with snow tires non studded? i might end up going to school in upstate ny next year.

I went to school in Rochester. I never understood what was really 'upstate' and what wasn't.

Rochester gets a shitload of snow though, that's for sure.

I did 5 years there in an '86 Jetta and a cheap RWD Ranger, both on crap all-seasons. Never really had problems. Western NY plow crews do a their jobs really well.

I've got stud-less snows on steelies for winter use on my JSW living in New England now. Easily the best $600 I ever spent. Car does really well on the snows. Highly recommended.

Moses

Go Kart Champion
the GTI is pretty good in the snow.

my 94 ford taurus was better, and so was my 95 buick lesabre. the problem is the center of gravity is too high and the wheel base is too short so your going to get some inevitable slippage.

however a good driver and good tires really make the difference. VT winters are brutal and unplowed. i had a line of cars get stuck on a hill, and instead of getting stuck w/ them, cut the wheel, feathered the gas, and fishtailed past all of them at about 7 mph. i should just say, i made it and they didn't.

but honestly, the traction control works great, but there is too much power to the front, and the open diff is REALLY noticeable. it's almost frustrating sometimes trying to build up speed. my buddy would just shoot out of parking lots in his WRX, and i'd be behind him spinning w/ my exhaust growling trying to keep up (not happening).

i should mention when you do oversteer it's rather easy to control in a GTI thanks to the great steering assist/electric steering motor. i still get goosebumps thinking about an accident i avoided 2 winters ago, where i had to swerve around a forester that backed into the road at 35 mph (doesn't sound fast but it is fast when your brakes don't work).

so cliffnotes: it works. it's not fast, it's not that fun. but it works.

ducsNdubs

Ready to race!
A set of good snow tires on steelies on all four corners and your set. It'll go like a tank and the cost of the steel rims and tires is probably less than your insurance deductable if you slid into a guard rail so money well spent

utekineir

Banned
used steelies: 100-200

snowtires mounted and balanced: 100+ each new.

$1000 deductible?

still agree, snow tires were just about the best thing i've spent money on in the past few years, definitely not going back to regular all seasons for winters, ever if i can help it.