GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY intank fuel pump removal

flipkid

Passed Driver's Ed
I just replaced my in tank fuel pump. I tried finding a DIY for a MKV but only found a MKIV by dremhmrk2 from vwvortex .

I used some of his DIY to make this.

1. Pull fuse for low pressure fuel pump (in-tank fuel sender)

2. Remove bottom portion of back seat (Use NewaveRide DIY http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?p=902339)

3. Lift up passenger side carpet to expose access panel

4. Remove wiring module

5. Unplug harness from module

6. Start car and let engine run until it cuts out

7. Pry up wiring boot from access panel

8. Lift off access panel

9. Disconnect wiring harness from fuel pump

10. Using flat head screw driver, pry up slightly at these points on retaining ring

11. Use a rubber mallet and flat head to spin retaining ring counter-clockwise

12. Having rags handy, unclip the hoses (by pressing on the side of the D-clip) and pull off slowly (there will be built up pressure left in the pump, gas will come out)

13. Remove sending unit and gasket (be aware of the fuel level float attached to the pump)

When installing new fuel pump you have to pinch the points back down on retaining ring referred to on step 10 before spinning retaining ring clockwise to lock fuel pump in place.

Thanks for reading. Please post any other tips and tricks to this DIY.

Last edited:

itskv

APR Stage II+
Wow, I must be a noob because I thought the pump was the one in the engine bay lol.

flipkid

Passed Driver's Ed
Nice one. Did you have to replace this because of fuel cuts?

Yeah. I had fuel cuts when driving for a long time in the heat. Also had to change out the fuel pressure sensor attached to the hpfp.

stringshifter6

Nom Nom Nom
Car(s)
2007 GTI
So has this resolved the problem? I got the same nasty fuel cut during a drive to Vegas in the heat.

You don't happen to have the part numbers for the updated pump do you?

flipkid

Passed Driver's Ed
So has this resolved the problem? I got the same nasty fuel cut during a drive to Vegas in the heat.

You don't happen to have the part numbers for the updated pump do you?

It hasnt done it yet. The part # that I used was 1K0-919-051-CL.

stringshifter6

Nom Nom Nom
Car(s)
2007 GTI
1-k0-919-051-BH This part number was given in another thread regarding the low pressure fuel pump. Is the -cl suffix another revision?
There is a 60 dollar difference between the two but looking up the -bh suffix does not reveal any part superseding it.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
Update - pump is now 1K0 919 051 DB.

Also, have a turkey baster and a pail on hand to do this so you can empty the pump basin before you pull it out.

haithame

Apple GTI
Car(s)
'09 GTI MKV
Update - pump is now 1K0 919 051 DB.

Yes, this is the new revision. The dealer installed that new revision for me today.

I was having these cuts during hot weather long driving. Not sure whats new in the new revision though.

I am also facing a weird issue. I did hard acceleration from stop today and suddenly I had ABS, EPS & Hand Brake lights all on. After turning off the car and on again, all these lights are gone.
When I discussed this with the dealer, they told me that this issue might be related to the pump issue!!

Nightdeath4223

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
Well I am stuck on getting the ring to loosen up. Since there really is no way for me to see what clips that are to be peeled back. Right now the ring is just on there super tight. Any suggestions?