VW obsessed
Car(s)
VW Golf mkv
good to know, thank you

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
...and i have one more stupid question. can you brick your ECU? like set something and after that you wont be able to get back into it with vagcom?
There are somewhere around 15 - 20 separate controllers in your car.
The settings you will be changing are in just one,
the Vehicle Electrical System Controller J519 (aka Cent Elect).
That one is fairly benign. While you can muck up operation,
you won't be able to lock yourself out of the Cent Elect controller,
and you will not do any undoable damage with an errant setting.

Just be sure to do as VancouverGTI recommends, run a full scan and record the results.
The full scan records the current coding for every controller as a numerical (hexadecimal) string.
That string can be used to revert the controller back to those stored settings
should your changes result in unwanted behavior.

Adv4nc3r_Mk5

VW obsessed
Car(s)
VW Golf mkv
got vagcom today, already activated DRL and locking beep. so coool. im thinking about activating auto-lock from 15km/h
its a lot easier then i thought. but i have no DRL icon on my dash, does it mean its simply not there or i need to activate it as well?

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Funny you are adding DRLs as I take them away. It may be a missing bulb in the display. Have you confirmed they are working with key on, handbrake off? I wonder if it is cluster specific.

omnom

Ready to race!
I've vag'd my car for fogs as DRL's, is there a way to change coming home/leaving home from the xenons to fogs?

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
I don't remember seeing anything on this in this thread, so I thought I'd make a mention of it here.

For my Canadian brothers and sisters, we got the short end of the stick when it came to TPMS. We got neither the passive system that the ROW cars use, nor the active system that U.S. market cars have. We simply didn't get TPMS as an option.

As it happens, I just stumbled across the article linked below, and it seems we do have the option of enabling the passive TPMS system on Canadian cars!! The one downside is that you need VCDS to reset the tire pressure and cancel a warning.

Still, for someone like me who has one, this is a great option! And for others, it's certainly feasible to spend a few bucks on the TPMS switch that would sit beside the ESP button, and run the necessary wires to connect it to the ABS module. There are kits available!

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/for...-pressure-monitoring-5-minutes-7k6-50164.html

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
thanks for the info. Does this work for mk6 too?
VAG-COM will work with a mk6, but the controllers are laid out very different on a Mk6.
Mk5s have separate Vehicle Electrical System Controller J519 and Comfort System Central Control Module J393.
The mk6 rolls all those functions into one controller.
And mk6s have more options available, both in controller choices and MFD.
Mk6 also has shortcuts to do some things like toggle DRL setting
using arcane combinations / sequences of controls
that do not exist on mk5.
There are some accommodations for LED lighting in the mk6 controller.
etc.

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
And yes, I believe this ABS trick works with the MkVI as well, although any U.S. market Golf should already have active ABS anyway, if I'm not mistaken.

danman132x

Ready to race!
Hey quick question, I went to do some logging and I got my actual boost, RPM's, specified boost correct, but I checked all these boxes and kept missing the one that show's timing pull and advance. Which one do I need to check for this? I checked these camshaft adjustment ones and got stuff like -4 to +28? I'll attached a screenshot. And I'm assuming the N75 is the one I need to check for the duty cycle to see if the turbo is being worked too hard?

I know how to get it all to graph form, and I have the vag com guide. It's just those couple things im not 100% sure on.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Using turbo mode I only get 4-5 updates a sec when using advanced measuring blocks and collecting like 4-5 things, is that normal? Any tricks to speed up the interface would be welcome.