GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lexus LF-A Revealed and Priced

KingOfJericho

Go Kart Champion
Production Lexus LFA supercar makes world debut
10/21/2009, 9:42 AM
By Drew Johnson

It’s been a long time coming but Toyota has officially taken the wraps off the Lexus LFA supercar at the 2009 Tokyo Motor Show. The LFA may have lost a hyphen during its development process, but the world’s newest supercar doesn’t appear to have lost an ounce of performance.

As expected, the Lexus LFA features an all-new 4.8L V10 with a screaming red line of 9,000rpm. Power is rated at 552 horsepower and 354 lb-ft of torque. Although maximum twist doesn’t come on until the needle sweeps past the 6,800rpm mark, Toyota says that 90 percent of the LFA’s torque is available between 3,700rpm and 9,000rpm.

Power is sent to the LFA’s rear wheels via Toyota’s new paddle-shifted six-speed Automated Sequential Gearbox. Set low and back in the LFA’s chassis, the unit contributes to the car’s nearly ideal 48:52 front-to-rear weight distribution.

In order to keep the LFA light on its feet, Toyota relied heavily on lightweight materials for nearly every aspect of the supercar. Aluminum was originally planned for the LFA’s construction but engineers ultimately decided to use Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic for the car’s chassis and body. Designed in-house by Toyota, the Japanese automaker says CFRP is four times stronger than aluminum yet netted a 100kg weight savings.

The LFA also feature Carbon Ceramic Material brakes, which are both lighter than steel and more fade-resistant. In total, the LFA weighs about 3,300 pounds.

The net result of Toyota’s efforts is a vehicle that can accelerate from 0-60 in just under 3.7 seconds, with a claimed top-speed of 202mph. Sales will be limited to just 500 units, with no more than 20 examples to be made per month. As with most supercars, the LFA will be highly customizable, with buyers able to choose from 30 paint colors or delete standard equipment such as the car’s audio system. The Lexus LFA will first launch in the UK, carrying a hefty price of £336,000 ($557,000).

http://www.leftlanenews.com/lexus-lf-a.html

Last edited:

BlueWabbit

back being low.
Car(s)
2008 VW Rabbit
That looks pretty sharp for a Lexus, and seems like for the IS-F they fumbled on it but looks like this could be a possible contender with Japanese manufacturers contending with the super car market?

czrarreola

Ready to race!
I rather have an R8, GTR, and ZR1 all for the same price. Dont get me wrong the car is awsome but not 375K awsome, maybe 150K but that would be pushing it.

PureDrive

Go Kart Champion
The car looks, sounds, and seems amazing, but the price is just simply crazy and stupid. Let's see, Lambo, Ferrari, or a $375,000 Lexus..........sorry, nice try and all, but no. Throw it in around $150,000 and then maybe. This is just Toyota trying to be something it is not, an untouchable automotive performance icon. Again, I think the car is amazing, but since the last thing they made that was really sporty and great was the Supra like ten years ago, stepping up to throwing a $375,000 price tag on their first "supercar" attempt is insulting and egotistical, imo. Another reason for me to dislike them in general.

hkswrxti

/black magic
Car(s)
07 BMP GTI
Holy crap, ill take one in black with red brakes and red interior immediately....

if it wasn't $375,000. It should be NO MORE than $200,000.

wow @ 9k RPM coming from a V10. Imagine how that will sound @ redline

kootenaydub

The Scandinavian Flick
I rather have an R8, GTR, and ZR1 all for the same price. Dont get me wrong the car is awsome but not 375K awsome, maybe 150K but that would be pushing it.

:word:

It just kinda looks like a 370z with a body kit... definitely not worth what they are asking for

I know rear wheel drive is fun, but it seems like a lot of super cars are moving towards awd systems: veyron, r8, gt-r, etc. Is Lexus already behind the times with this one?

Callsign_Jester

traction is for pussies

The car looks, sounds, and seems amazing, but the price is just simply crazy and stupid. Let's see, Lambo, Ferrari, or a $375,000 Lexus..........sorry, nice try and all, but no. Throw it in around $150,000 and then maybe. This is just Toyota trying to be something it is not, an untouchable automotive performance icon. Again, I think the car is amazing, but since the last thing they made that was really sporty and great was the Supra like ten years ago, stepping up to throwing a $375,000 price tag on their first "supercar" attempt is insulting and egotistical, imo. Another reason for me to dislike them in general.

I agree with these points.