GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rainbow IQ 320.25 install, reviews, and pics

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Ah yes...forgot to mention that. I noticed that the coils were not completely secure to the base so I hit them with a dab of adhesive. Mine never broke loose like that though. I don't think it's specifically related to where you have them mounted. Mine were loose out of the box...a bit of a QC issue.

Monkeykungfu

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 BMP GTI
Ah yes...forgot to mention that. I noticed that the coils were not completely secure to the base so I hit them with a dab of adhesive. Mine never broke loose like that though. I don't think it's specifically related to where you have them mounted. Mine were loose out of the box...a bit of a QC issue.

Damn... that's a good tip to know. Get your amp in yet A41.8QTM?

plac

GTI Master

nothing a couple drops of superglue wouldnt solve.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
True. Everyone should be sure to at least add some around the edge before they install just to make sure it stays put.

Amp isn't here yet. I might be able to install next weekend if I find time and motivation.

nothing a couple drops of superglue wouldnt solve.

Monkeykungfu

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 BMP GTI
True. Everyone should be sure to at least add some around the edge before they install just to make sure it stays put.

Amp isn't here yet. I might be able to install next weekend if I find time and motivation.

Awesome, I'm really anxious to get some feedback on how these sound with some decent ampage on them.

My Rainbows ought to be here any day now... then the only thing left for me to buy is the Amp as well & the sound deadner in the doors.

My system will consist of:

Stock HU (premium 7, 6 CD changer)
JL Cleansweep
Alpine PDX-5 amp
Sound deadner in doors (not sure what type yet, E-dead?)
Custom self made stealth Sub box w/ Elemental Designs SQ10

Hopefully it'll all be worth the time & $ when all is said & done. I've already installed my sub-box & an old kenwood amp I had lying around to power the sub. It's only pushing out 150 RMS bridged, so I'm sure it could use a little more power.

I installed the amp under the drivers seat. I'm still not sure where the best place for the cleansweep will be. I've got the sat radio unit under the passenger's seat. I want to keep it somewhat hidden, yet accessible so that I can access the controls on it if need be. It looks like I could possibly mount it above the sat radio unit & the passengers seat & still have room for the seat to move, but I'm worried about the units overheating being right on top of eachother like that. Any suggestions?

plac

GTI Master
the sirius unit doesnt put out any kind of heat. any box should be ok on top of it.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Yeah, I can't imagine the Sat or JL units have heat issues. Still, I'd fabricate some sort of small mounting rack out of MDF just to isolate them from each other. Just a little bridge or mini book case deal to stack the units.

eROCK

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
08 GTI 4 door
Awesome, I'm really anxious to get some feedback on how these sound with some decent ampage on them.

My Rainbows ought to be here any day now... then the only thing left for me to buy is the Amp as well & the sound deadner in the doors.

My system will consist of:

Stock HU (premium 7, 6 CD changer)
JL Cleansweep
Alpine PDX-5 amp
Sound deadner in doors (not sure what type yet, E-dead?)
Custom self made stealth Sub box w/ Elemental Designs SQ10

Hopefully it'll all be worth the time & $ when all is said & done. I've already installed my sub-box & an old kenwood amp I had lying around to power the sub. It's only pushing out 150 RMS bridged, so I'm sure it could use a little more power.

I installed the amp under the drivers seat. I'm still not sure where the best place for the cleansweep will be. I've got the sat radio unit under the passenger's seat. I want to keep it somewhat hidden, yet accessible so that I can access the controls on it if need be. It looks like I could possibly mount it above the sat radio unit & the passengers seat & still have room for the seat to move, but I'm worried about the units overheating being right on top of eachother like that. Any suggestions?

Wow, I'm actually looking at the same type of set up. I'll definitely look forward to hearing your reviews once you have this all installed.

plac

GTI Master
Wow, I'm actually looking at the same type of set up. I'll definitely look forward to hearing your reviews once you have this all installed.

that would be my ideal setup since i really want to keep the stock headunit but need more volume. i shy away from the clean sweep tho, for fear of wiring issues. I would not want to cut any of my stock harnesses.

where would you tap into the head unit outputs to your cleansweep without cutting any wires?

and again, where would you tap back into your stock speakers coming from your amp without cutting any harness?

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
If you can manage to track one down this Blaupunkt PnP adapter it will work to "splice the HU speaker-level output and also route the amplified signal from your new amp back into the factory wiring system. Only probalm I'm havinbg is finding one.

Blaupunkt 7 607 622 016 001

plac

GTI Master
If you can manage to track one down this Blaupunkt PnP adapter it will work to "splice the HU speaker-level output and also route the amplified signal from your new amp back into the factory wiring system. Only probalm I'm havinbg is finding one.

Blaupunkt 7 607 622 016 001

that totally sucks... i been looking for that for months too. its all i need to go ahead with some system plans.

chadillac3

Zapco
Wow, I've never had a passive fall apart like that...unfortunately that is due to subpar build quality. Being next to midbasses shouldn't cause that, period. Otherwise an awful lot of passives mounted anywhere near subs would fail.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Mine were coming apart out of the box. And the curcuit boards were not secure in the plastic base either...had to glue them as well. Not impressed with that aspect of the build quality. Luckily I realized it and secured everything before install and buttoning the doors back up.