GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Convert Ipod Adapter to Aux Input - Here's how

crypto

Crypto-Designs.com
Car(s)
2008 MkV GTI
Alright, well after a lot of searching i found little to no information on how to change over a factory Ipod adapter and get an AUX input. At least not a cheaper way.

However my wife stumbled upon a cool little device that works perfect and isn't to pricey. The retail on this is between $60-$70. plus i saw them on ebay for like $40
however Rachel (wife) found it in a $10 bin at circuit city :thumbsup:

all you do is pull out the factory Ipod unit (literally)
un-hook the cable.
Take this converter and plug it in.
then hook up whatever you want to it using a "red/white > 1/8" adapter"

USA SPEC - Part# DF-VW
Links:
http://www.usaspec.com/aux2.html

http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/USASPEC_DF_VW.html

• 2 Auxiliary inputs for DVD audio, MP3, IPOD audio or any standard portable device with stereo audio output.
• All plug and play harnesses for easy installation, no wires to cut or splice.
• Dual ( 2 ) separate AUX inputs for multiple audio sources.
• True high level input for true digital quality sound.
• Not FM modulated! Direct connection to your factory radio.
• Self powered.
• Connects through your factory radio’s CD Changer/iPod Port.
• High quality metal finish and case.
• Includes all cables and connectors required for installation.

The box says it only works for older GTI's. but that is incorrect. It works great on my 2008 MkV

Once connected just click the "CD" button twice to go to AUX/EXT mode. Once in AUX/EXT mode "track 1" will select port 1, and "track 2" will select port 2
it works great and i now can play music from my Zune through the stereo

also this will work if you have a Nav unit and the CD changer in the center console. However you'd lose the CD changer

Install Pics:

Last edited:

MKVRabbit2k8

Nice. I've been looking into something like this for awhile. Thanks so much.

Do you know if you can run all of the controls though the iPod still too? As opposed to running it through the stereo?

crypto

Crypto-Designs.com
Car(s)
2008 MkV GTI
Nice. I've been looking into something like this for awhile. Thanks so much.

Do you know if you can run all of the controls though the iPod still too? As opposed to running it through the stereo?

you would control an iPod just like you regularly do with an iPod. This will connect into the headphones so it won't take over any control of the iPod

Gore

Wow, I'm so lucky I found this post. I just got a 2009 GTI with the iPod adapter (all the dealer had), and found the old school CD-changer iPod interface to be total crap. Crypto's solution is exactly what I was looking for.

I ran down to my Circuit City and picked up the device. The box was faded looking and it was covered in dust - it was labeled $35, but it came up $10 at the register. Went home, popped out the plastic tray (no need to unscrew anything), unhooked the cable, put in the USA SPEC DF - VW unit, and presto - all good.

The VW system detects this device as a CD changer with one track that immediately starts playing. Neat trick.

The one thing I haven't worked out yet is how to put the plastic tray back in on top of the unit. There's just not enough room, no matter how I move things around. Crypto, did you manage to get that ipod tray back in there? It's not all that important, but I'm worried about losing small objects down in that cavity without something to catch them.

crypto

Crypto-Designs.com
Car(s)
2008 MkV GTI
Wow, I'm so lucky I found this post. I just got a 2009 GTI with the iPod adapter (all the dealer had), and found the old school CD-changer iPod interface to be total crap. Crypto's solution is exactly what I was looking for.

I ran down to my Circuit City and picked up the device. The box was faded looking and it was covered in dust - it was labeled $35, but it came up $10 at the register. Went home, popped out the plastic tray (no need to unscrew anything), unhooked the cable, put in the USA SPEC DF - VW unit, and presto - all good.

The VW system detects this device as a CD changer with one track that immediately starts playing. Neat trick.

The one thing I haven't worked out yet is how to put the plastic tray back in on top of the unit. There's just not enough room, no matter how I move things around. Crypto, did you manage to get that ipod tray back in there? It's not all that important, but I'm worried about losing small objects down in that cavity without something to catch them.

no, i didn't bother putting the tray back in there. It actually worked out well cos now there is more space to store stuff. So when I'm not using my MP3 player i can stuff it down in there with the adapter/device thingy, and the 3foot of audio cable I'm using

MKVRabbit2k8

What section are you finding these parts at?
My best friend works in the car audio section at circuit city, and he's never heard of this before.

I'm planning on making my way down there tomorrow after work and hopefully picking one of these up.

Will I need to buy the AUX cord as well with this?

crypto

Crypto-Designs.com
Car(s)
2008 MkV GTI
My best friend works in the car audio section at circuit city, and he's never heard of this before.

I'm planning on making my way down there tomorrow after work and hopefully picking one of these up.

my wife said she found it in the car audio department. It was just sitting on the shelf with a "clearance" sticker on it.

and yes you will need an AUX cord with it

Gore

I looked for it on the car audio "clearance table," but it wasn't there. I finally found it on a peg board in car audio with similar units for other systems. The DF-VWs were in the VERY corner, and the sign said it was a clearance item (but listed $35 instead of $10, which it rang up as). They still have one left (Durham NC).

These had clearly been there a LONG time. Literally covered in dust.

MKVRabbit2k8

My Circuit City and my Best Buy neither one have them.

Is someone willing to pick one of these up for me and ship it to me?
I can paypal you the money ASAP, and I'll pay extra for your services.

Please PM me.