GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Good Value?

Dingah

Crusty Aviator
Car(s)
Audi SQ5
An associate of mine is seriously considering the purchase of a 2006 R32 with 83k on the clock. The current asking price is $40k drive away with 12 months rego and it is in darn good condition.
Being a GTI and not R32 person, can the R32 fraternity please indicate if this appears to be a reasonable price and suggestions of what to take a closer look at.
Standard features no SATNAV.

Thanks guys,

Dingah

Jester_Fu

My Name is Angela.
Car(s)
Daytona Grey TT RS
Seems like a reasonable price to me - check Cars Guide and Domain to see what others are asking. Pretty high millage for a 2YO car, though.

What to look for?
* Usual feathered wear on tyres indicating a hard life...
* Check the logbook to make sure of regular servicing

I don't think there's much over the standard buying any second hand car type stuff to check, really.

Jig

Flow Motion
6sp or DSG. 5 door or 3 door. 40K AUD for 83,000 kms is a bit steep. if you were talking about 30kms less then maybe...

Seem a lot of driving in 2 years. I for one would be hesitant to buy a car with that much Kays in 2 years. standard questions. how many owners has it had. log books ok? look for sandpaper swirls in the body work to show if it has been on accidents...

Its an NA car so there is less to look out for from an engine perspective but i would definitely look at steering rack issues/noises. Get your mate to take it to someone to inspect fully...

Panman

Frequent Modder
83Ks is very steep - I'm on a novated lease and drive Brisbane to SYdney quite regularly - mine is 21 Months old and I'm on 38Ks.

You'd have to be doing a lot of long distance driving to rack that many Ks up.... Sure it's not an ex-Taxi :lol:

Dingah

Crusty Aviator
Car(s)
Audi SQ5
Thanks for the responses.
Note and agree the mileage concerns vs age - not sure if its 2006 MY or Rego ie it could be 83k over three years rather than two.
You'll be delighted to learn that I congratulated him on his fine taste.

Dingah

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
83K would turn me off buying it, even if it were over 3 years that's still nearly 30k a year. Over 2 years it's around 42k a year. I'd expect it to be another $3-4000 cheaper (depending on if it has DSG etc).

Capercat

It's a chuck-about
If it has a DSG I wouldn't buy it period...

Extended factory warranty is only valid to 120,000kms. That currently leaves only 40,000kms.
If the DSG fucks up after the 120,000kms, it will cost a cool $25,000 to replace, & that's not including the labour component. :yikes: :yikes:

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
If it has a DSG I wouldn't buy it period...

Extended factory warranty is only valid to 120,000kms. That currently leaves only 40,000kms. If the DSG fucks up after the 120,000kms, it will cost a cool $25,000 to replace, that's not including labour. :yikes: :yikes: :paddle: :paddle:

The DSG isn't $25,000 to replace, it's been quoted that the invoice price to VW dealers is ~$15,000 and that was over a year ago.

There are more and more wrecked cars out there with DSG gearboxes and I'd be thinking that they're being sold by the wreckers for less then $5000 with warranty.

And if the car is 2 years old it still has a year of factory warranty and 2 years extended warranty if you take it up, if they replace the DSG under warranty you're laughing.

Capercat

It's a chuck-about
$25,000 for DSG at CCC dealer . Doanld R32 on this fourm can confirm this.

Would you buy a DSG from a wrecker?????????????????

DSG are a time bomb IMO,

Last edited:

Hash

Ready to race!
40k is definetely overpriced i saw one in the low 40's with much less km's than that.

On the other hand my father has novated lease on his previous cars and now the GTI.. he normally clocks up between 70-80k within 23months due to driving from Melbourne to Avalon Airport daily, with the highway km's the car still feels new which can can be expected from highway driving and low revs.

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
$25,000 for DSG at CCC dealer . Doanld R32 on this fourm can confirm this.

Others have posted $15,000 was the invoice value to the dealer :iono:

Given that DSG is being made in increased quantities and I can't imagine the manual gearbox costing more then $5000 and the DSG is only around $2500 more then a manual are you saying the VW are taking a $17,500 loss on every DSG sold?

Would you buy a DSG from a wrecker?????????????????

Why not, if the price is right. It's no different to buying an engine.

DSG are a time bomb IMO

Why? You don't have to be scared of them Capercat, it's just two manuals side by side. It's not some evil magical box of tricks.

Do you know how much it will cost to fix a DSG in 6 or 7 years... the repair will cost more than the car will be worth.

Why? There is no evidence the DSG is a gearbox that is unreliable and reco boxes will be available if required.

Even if VW helps with the cost for original owners, its got to effect resale value, for the next guy who's afraid of buying your used car and looking at a $25,000 transmission bill. (I already see evidence of this in the Ferrari used-car market, where people want cars without the F1 transmission)

Slight difference between a Golf and Ferrari though isn't there? I must say that I don't recall spending time at the Ferrari dealership comparing the Golf and tossing up the pros and cons of each.

Capercat

It's a chuck-about
Why? You don't have to be scared of them Capercat, it's just two manuals side by side. It's not some evil magical box of tricks.

I was going on the official prices quoted by my dealer, I didn't make it up...

Do you know how much it will cost to fix a DSG in 6 or 7 years... the repair will cost more than the car will be worth. Even if VW helps with the cost for original owners, its got to effect resale value, for the next guy who's afraid of buying your used car and looking at a $25,000 transmission bill. (I already see evidence of this in the Ferrari used-car market, where people want cars without the F1 transmission)

Last edited:

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
I was going on the official prices quoted by my dealer, I didn't make it up...

I didn't say you did but I said that's the invoice that goes across for the spare parts and isn't the real cost.

(I already see evidence of this in the Ferrari used-car market, where people want cars without the F1 transmission)

How many people are buying older Ferrari's for daily drivers but instead are buying them for weekend touring or track work?

Plus how many people buy Ferrari's with manuals new as opposed to the F1 transmission?

You're comparing apples with oranges, the two cars are completely different.