Car(s)
your mom
carfax

Msteadman

Go Kart Champion
WHAT THE FUCK IS SUPOFLY??

bullshit... that post was SUPAFLY!

:bellyroll:
OP don't worry about it. For whatever reason that seems to be a commonly misspelled word on this forum. IIRC there was an entire thread about.
I personally don't quite get why it's so hard, but then again I'm the idiot who literally always goes to spell gauge as "guage". A bit dsylexic I suppose. :iono:

Answering your question, I'd also suggest Carfax. I remember not too long ago someone on here was looking at a used GTI and using Carfax found out that its odometer was incorrect.

Additionally, isn't there some type of indicator you can look for on the odometer that shows whether it has been tampered with? I know many cars have this, but can't remember whether ours do or not.

Myfast_GTI

Super User
When I had my SVT Focus I was able to get what Ford called an OASIS report which would show the entire service history of the car and mileage at which it was brought in at... I would guess VW would have something like that. My Ford dealer printed this out for me for free. Have your friend ask his service rep if they have anything like that.

Chris@RT

Banned
Don't waste your money on the carfax report, just go to the dealer like the last poster said and have them bring up the history.

Take some pictures of the clutch and brake pedal and post them up.

Also check on vortex like suggested in the 20th forum. There is a registry post I believe of all the cars. See who had that number car before.

kenton

Ready to race!
I understand that some people, who have access to VW factory tools can roll back odometers.

This option exists because of gauge cluster failures. A dealership would need to be able to input "14252 miles" into the gauge cluster so later, on the title, you wouldn't have an "odometer discrepancy report."

So yes, this can be done with the PROPER tools.

FaLLeNAn9eL

JESUS HATES FLAT TIRE
Maybe the car was driven in reverse 90% of it's life? :iono:
Yes, I'm joking.
Just a thought.

Msteadman

Go Kart Champion
:laughabove:
You sir, have amongst the funniest posts on here. :lol:

Scharf

Ferris: "Look this is real simple. Whatever miles we put on we'll take off."

Cameron: "How?"

Ferris: "We'll drive home backwards."

Cameron: "LOL."

Chris@RT

Banned
I understand that some people, who have access to VW factory tools can roll back odometers.

This option exists because of gauge cluster failures. A dealership would need to be able to input "14252 miles" into the gauge cluster so later, on the title, you wouldn't have an "odometer discrepancy report."

So yes, this can be done with the PROPER tools.

The mileage can be entered to anything you awnt if a cluster has under 100 km on it. So an existing odometer cannot be changed it would have to be replaced.

The current system does not allow manual entry, possibly still with vag-com but on a dealer level it would have to be an older tech who remembers and still has the logins for doing it manually. most don't.

That would be really risky for a dealer tech to do since it is a federal offense. plus it would need to be done with a new cluster which needs to be ordred based on vin, the keys would then need to be aligned for the immo.

Chances are its legit or someone did it with an illegal odometer roll back software.

keeba

A simple step is to look for a loose screw on the car dashboard. If you see that dashboard is not set up correctly, it is wise to think that the odometer instrument has been altered at least once during its life.

Also, closely examine the total number of mileage in the title and look for any signs of smudging or tampering in connection with such device.

Ask the used car seller to provide the important documents and information like the maintenance receipt, inspection sticker, VIN, vehicle history report, among others.

bertha

Don't waste your money on the carfax report, just go to the dealer like the last poster said and have them bring up the history.

Take some pictures of the clutch and brake pedal and post them up.

Also check on vortex like suggested in the 20th forum. There is a registry post I believe of all the cars. See who had that number car before.
agree