Gtiguy182

Clean MKV Owner
TSI sux....FSI FTW

JeepNGLI

Heart-ing Forge Since 06
^^ ha. nice.

LBVdubin

Baggin aint easy
this may be a stupid question but is the GT just a euro version of the GTI. Aside from the 1.4twincharger they are the same right?

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
this may be a stupid question but is the GT just a euro version of the GTI. Aside from the 1.4twincharger they are the same right?

Er, no, the GTI is the GTI in the EU. The GT Sport is a step down from the GTI, then you get GT, and then you get regular Golfs.

The Golf GTI in the UK now comes with a single-charged (turbo'd) TSI engine. As I've been repeating myself, all charged petrol engines in the VW range (be it twincharged or single-charged) are now branded TSI.

LBVdubin

Baggin aint easy
Er, no, the GTI is the GTI in the EU. The GT Sport is a step down from the GTI, then you get GT, and then you get regular Golfs.

The Golf GTI in the UK now comes with a single-charged (turbo'd) TSI engine. As I've been repeating myself, all charged petrol engines in the VW range (be it twincharged or single-charged) are now branded TSI.

Ok thanks for the info.

dieselraver

Elite Dubber
Hell Yea! my build date was 10/07 and it is FSI Turbo!

[edit] i heard that they also went TSI and downgraded the euro models interior and parts to make them less expensive to produce, our current cars that are FSI take a total of 50 Man Hours to build

Win for us yet again

newer does not always mean better

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
[edit] i heard that they also went TSI and downgraded the euro models interior and parts to make them less expensive to produce, our current cars that are FSI take a total of 50 Man Hours to build

You heard wrong. The Mk5 remains the same, and it is the doors that take 50 man hours to build (compared to 7 man hours on a Renault Megane, which is the target for the Mk6).

LBVdubin

Baggin aint easy
holy shit! 50 hours just for a couple of doors?:eyebulge: Thats crazy, in a good way.

Obv. it effects the cost but that sounds like some quality hand craftsmanship to me.

And The Interior is not downgraded at all in the 08's. There is absolutely no differece between mine and a pre-TSI GTI

Mike@Forge

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 BMP GTI Pkg 0
I would like to make a motion that we STOP referring to the new motor as a TSI engine, despite the fact that it says "TSI" on the engine cover.

The term TSI was previously meant to refer only to the 1.4L TWIN CHARGED engine sold other countries.

The revised 2.0T FSI motor is NOT a TSI engine as the term was originally intended. "T" standing for twin-charged.

It is still an FSI system.

The only major differences from the BPY FSI engine are the timing chain instead of a belt, a revised fuel pump, and a different intake flapper setup. Those changes should not warrant changing the name of the motor to "TSI", which only confuses people who know what the original TSI engine is.

I vote that we refer to the two distinct FSI motors by their engine codes alone (BPY and whatever the new one is) just as people do in the 1.8T world (AWW, AWD and AWP), or that they be referred to a "timing belt FSI" or "timing chain FSI".