GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My R is jinxed

Donald32

Backseat Driver
My vehicle is 13 months old but it already have had new front springs and struts, a new fuel pump and the latest, a new DSG gearbox - all replaced under warranty. In addition, 2 guys have driven into me albeit light damage only. It must be the worst jinxed MkV. I'm seriously thinking of replacing it. What do you think?

GC3663

Ready to race!
My vehicle is 13 months old but it already have had new front springs and struts, a new fuel pump and the latest, a new DSG gearbox - all replaced under warranty. In addition, 2 guys have driven into me albeit light damage only. It must be the worst jinxed MkV. I'm seriously thinking of replacing it. What do you think?

Ouch......new gearbox as welll...:thumbdown:

wat u planning to replace it with?

zz2

VAG expert
Car(s)
GTI V

Don, i know it sucks so bad. because im experiencing the same thing as with me and my DGS box GTI you.look you dont need to worry seeing VAG will lookafter u. sorry im no marking a goog sttempt there.. at the momment its s bit munted form stilnox. ill be happpy to gvie uall propper answers uiin the morniigngn

ok im to bed now cya

Tiny Gti

Banned
Car(s)
05 GTI MKV DSG 5DR
Sorry to hear all that Donald. If i were you i would stick with the R, you have new components which is great, although somewhat frustrating at the time. Id say unless the same thing keeps failing keep it. The accidents suck, but hey your just unlucky there, could happen to any of us. I think Junga felt the same at one stage when a list of probs all happened at once, it happens. You could go see a priest and get it blessed etc chuck some holy water on the R....LOL

If you really did feel the urge to change then i would say BMW 135i coupe or 335i coupe or sedan if family requires the extra doors, or maybe Audi S3 as you could hang for the 5dr if needed also, guess it depends on your variables, manual or auto, 3dr or 5dr, 2wd or awd, the $$$$$etc etc Hey you could always grab a chipped GTI LOL

Hope it all works out:thumbsup:

Purg

Ready to race!
Don, i know it sucks so bad. because im experiencing the same thing as with me and my DGS box GTI you.look you dont need to worry seeing VAG will lookafter u. sorry im no marking a goog sttempt there.. at the momment its s bit munted form stilnox. ill be happpy to gvie uall propper answers uiin the morniigngn

ok im to bed now cya

Never a good idea to drink and post. :laughabove:

wilytech

Ready to race!
lol

zz2

VAG expert
Car(s)
GTI V

ok im to bed now cya

oh shit i dont remember typing that!! the doc warned me not to stay up and go straight to bed after having a sleeping tablet!! :eyebulge:

any way what i was trying to say ( i think) was between your R32 and my GTI we must have the most jinxed cars. i know how much of a hassle it is and how much time it wastes going back an fourth from dealers etc but is it really worth changing your car over after 13 months? the one thing i am for sure though is the minute my warranty is up im selling it! im just going to stick it out until my car is 3 years old

my mate with his Mini S JCW is getting a whole new gearbox because the last time he took it in for a service he told the mechanics that he thinks his LSD slipping! they took it for a drive and agreed with him (my dealer would of told me its fine and piss off). they also are replacing all 4 shocks because theyre leaking. his mini is only a few months older than my GTI too

Vagabond

Great Teutonic Invention
Car(s)
2009 S3 Sportback
oh shit i dont remember typing that!! the doc warned me not to stay up and go straight to bed after having a sleeping tablet!! :eyebulge:

Stillnox side-effects can apparently include: sleep-walking, sleep-driving and now for the first time ever...

"Sleep-posting". :biggrin:

Capercat

It's a chuck-about

Donald, your loss is another person's gain...

You're not going to advertise the fact that your selling the car because the Gearbox, springs/struts fuel pump etc were replaced...

The new owner will take ownership of a beautifully kept car with new parts all at a big discount! take into account they will still have 2 years left on the warranty should anything else go wrong. Cars are like mechanical jigsaw's, parts come & go. I'd rather have a gearbox replaced over an annoying rattle that can't be traced :mad0259:

On my MK4 GTI they replaced the gearbox with less than 300kms!! but never had a problem with it since. On my current GTI the dualmass flywheel was replaced after 20,000Kms and now runs beautifully.

Stick it out mate seeing its still under warranty, otherwise you'll be loosing money on your 13 month old baby.

Last edited:

WhiteJames

Fun Nazi
Car(s)
VW Golf GTI MKV
Reminds me of the Jaguar of old.

Second owner always received a much better car after all the mishaps on the production line have be fixed.

Donald; I'd keep the 'R'. Looks like the vehicle should be right from here on in.

It would be due for a set of anti-roll bars soon.

Haven't had chance to sample Ray's R32 with H&R bars; but he says it's mostly fixed the under steer problem. Chassis noteably stiffer and single wheel bumps can upset the chassis. Otherwise a worthwhile upgrade.

Cheers
WJ

Donald32

Backseat Driver
Hey guys, I agree with your posts. The latest gearbox episode feels like the straw that's breaking the camel's back... on top of the warranty works there are the squeaks and rattles. I have bought and owned 3 new bimmers before and never had any such problems. If I wasn't swept off my feet after test driving the R when purchasing my wife's golf, I would now be driving the 335i which I had my mind set on then. Then again, I wouldn't have met all you good guys!

Having had the R for 13 months, it's tough going back to the 335i, which is twice the cost but definitely not twice the value or fun. Bimmer rear drive and balance is priceless tho.

My R has been off road for 7 days now and I'm still waiting. I will stick with it tho.

blur32

Ready to race!
My vehicle is 13 months old but it already have had new front springs and struts......QUOTE]

Donald32

Can you enlighten me as to your strut problems please?

I have been thru 2 sets of factory springs to get rid of the "not seated properly" sounds that were there from day 1. Am now onto H&R's that seemed to have solved the issue.

I have queried my struts on numerous occasions with the dealer to no avail....

Intermittant issues such as differing ride quality day to day over the same stretch of road, topping out under compression on mild bumps but not on bigger hits (ie: a dip will cause the struts to top out but a decent sized ridge will not), right hand front sits lower than the left (even after swapping springs side to side), intermittant rattles, etc

Thanks in advance

blur

Donald32

Backseat Driver
Hi Blur, my springs and struts were replaced by VW after steering produced frontend cluncking noises. There is a VW TSB for this. The new springs and struts also somehow removed the groans/moans when braking and steering at slow speeds but I'm not sure if they were related. Cheers Donald

Capercat

It's a chuck-about
Having had the R for 13 months, it's tough going back to the 335i, which is twice the cost but definitely not twice the value or fun. Bimmer rear drive and balance is priceless tho.

My Neighbour has the 335i :drool: he drives it like a granny :thumbdown:

My next car will definitely be rear wheel drive.