GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Raceland coilovers ?

NahbutsGTI

EUROTHRASH
Car(s)
MkV GTI 6spd
Hi guys,

So I've been following a thread in the technical forum about these coilovers called Raceland that a bunch of yanks have installed on their MkV.
Catch is they're only like 500 bucks or something. That's what got me intersested. I was very, very skeptical about them but so far, there has been no complaints. I figured I'd contact these guys and see if they could ship me some(for 500 you cant go wrong:biggrin:, if they're shit i'll put the stockies back in). However, it never even got that far because Raceland wont ship them to Australia... Wonder why?

Thoughts?

Last edited:

knievil

Abl8Pace
Car(s)
MY08 R32
Cheap suspension - no such thing.
Suspension failure is costly. I'd be careful, very careful.
That being said, buy my ZF Sachs for 2K - only kidding!.

TimT

Go Kart Champion
a lot of companies wont ship internationally for several reasons. For an item such as that there most likely just isnt enough margin in it for them to be bothered with trying to organise it.

NahbutsGTI

EUROTHRASH
Car(s)
MkV GTI 6spd
Raceland Full Coilover Kit VW Golf Jetta Mk5
golf_v_coilovers.jpg
Item DescriptionFull Coil Over Kit for VW Golf and Jetta Mk5
The Raceland high quality, full coil over system is for the driver that is seeking high performance at a reasonable price. Compared to the "sleeve type" coil over, our system has a more exclusive set up for a better handling balance. The suspension travel and damping force have been fully tested by professional rally drivers hour after hour and thousands of miles long in the most brutal of environments. The Raceland coil over has been designed to withstand the stresses of very fast driving on paved roads or on circuits. It is ideally used for drifting or racing. Drivers will feel an increase in stability and grip, while maintaining good ride quality on paved roads. Includes ride height adjustment to give your vehicle a minor to major drop. The coil springs are epoxy powder coated for long life and the coil over is blue silver zinc plated.

Installation hints:
Before you lower your ride height, find out if you are allowed to lower it in your state. The installation of the coil over kit is to be done only by a licensed mechanic.
We recommend that you spray light oil on the threaded part of the coil over kit to prevent seizing of the spring seats.
Do not use pneumatic tools.
The upper insulator mounting with bearing must be used that came with the car. Aftermarket upper insulator mounts may not properly fit the Raceland coil over kit.
After you have installed the Raceland coil over kit, test it by driving it slowly and retighten all bolts to the specified torque value.
After the proper height has been determined, have your car professionally aligned.
This product is intended to be used only in race cars and or show vehicles. The Raceland coil over kit is not to be installed in vehicles driven on public roads.

The disassembly of the shock absorber must be performed by Raceland mechanics. Please contact Raceland for information on the service required and the related labor cost and time necessary to complete any disassembly work. We do not accept any responsibility for any injuries or damage created by disassembling of the Raceland shocks by yourself. This should only be done by Raceland mechanics. We caution you from driving on dirt roads and getting sand and grit on the threaded areas which may damage the threaded area and piston. If the piston rod is scratched, then the oil seal needs to be replaced, which we can do at Raceland. Please do not attempt to replace the oil seals because it is very dangerous. It contains highly compressed gases in the shock absorber. Do not drill the shock absorber because it will create flames. We recommend you do not modify the Raceland coil over.

Warranty:
Raceland offers a 2 year warranty with free replacement if properly installed by a licensed mechanic.

Raceland assumes no responsibility for any accident, injury, death or damage which may be related to disassembly of the product performed by non-Raceland mechanics.

thats their speil.

Yeah, I'm on the hunt... was more curious than anything else. Hey if yours are around in a month or so I might just take them...

Last edited:

TimT

Go Kart Champion
Neverland suspensions.........

I wouldn't put them on my car if they were free....

There seems to be a lot of knocking of them. But usually by people who think theyre too cheap. I havent heard a bad word about them yet from someone that has actually used them. Even as far as reading a magazine review that had them up against other brands such as eibach and H&R.

For something that costs around the same price as a set of lowered springs Id be interested to see if they outperform a car with lowered springs and stock dampers.

NahbutsGTI

EUROTHRASH
Car(s)
MkV GTI 6spd
For something that costs around the same price as a set of lowered springs Id be interested to see if they outperform a car with lowered springs and stock dampers.

after reading posts from all the people who have them, I would say undoubtedly...

Frenchie

Icecream Maker
There seems to be a lot of knocking of them. But usually by people who think theyre too cheap. I havent heard a bad word about them yet from someone that has actually used them. Even as far as reading a magazine review that had them up against other brands such as eibach and H&R.

I hear you........

but to put US$280 ''suspensions'' in a $40K-50 car.....good luck

benno

AU section: 1 man band

I hear you on the knocking of cheap products thing... but my reservation with these is that ride quality is likely to be pretty poor on Aus roads I suspect. Seppos seem to be able to slam their cars, run super stiff springs and get away with it. I don't think that really works all that well in Aus :wink:

TimT

Go Kart Champion
I hear you on the knocking of cheap products thing... but my reservation with these is that ride quality is likely to be pretty poor on Aus roads I suspect. Seppos seem to be able to slam their cars, run super stiff springs and get away with it. I don't think that really works all that well in Aus :wink:

If you "slam" your ride on any coilover the ride is usually poor because you reduce the cars suspension travel and you just bottom out. Obviously a product like these isnt for everyone. But im yet to hear an argument against them other than "theyre cheap"

Its funny because when things are too expensive people complain. And when they are too cheap they complain as well!

Dont get me wrong either. I usually run big brand name stuff on my cars.. I just cant help but be curious.

benno

AU section: 1 man band
If you "slam" your ride on any coilover the ride is usually poor because you reduce the cars suspension travel and you just bottom out. Obviously a product like these isnt for everyone. But im yet to hear an argument against them other than "theyre cheap".

True, but I think I saw a few comments about how stiff they were even when not slammed. Hence my comment above.

BarneyBoy

...and it's only a 1.4?
Car(s)
Mk5 Golf GT
Hi guys,

So I've been following a thread in the technical forum about these coilovers called Raceland that a bunch of yanks have installed on their MkV.
Catch is they're only like 500 bucks or something. That's what got me intersested. I was very, very skeptical about them but so far, there has been no complaints. I figured I'd contact these guys and see if they could ship me some(for 500 you cant go wrong:biggrin:, if they're shit i'll put the stockies back in). However, it never even got that far because Raceland wont ship them to Australia... Wonder why?

Thoughts?

Maybe they'd be interested in shipping a Group Buy?

I've read up on these too, and the only folks who seem to be dissing them are those who don't have them. Those that have them fitted seem pretty happy with them.
For track day heroes or hard core guys, they'll probably not measure up.
But if you want day-to-day use with an emphasis on looks (98% of us) they are likely OK.

NSJ202

Banned
For $500 they sound alright, especially considering they are adjustable.