GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

are these engine noises normal for manual gti?

Hey All

Just picked up my Mk5 GTI with leather and roof with a mere 16kms on the clock.

Whilst driving i can here the turbo whistle which is all well and good however when lifting off the accelerator i can also hear what seems to be a soft blow off valve noise.

Are stock GTI's supposed to be making an audible blow off noise? I had always thought that stock cars recirculate boost back into the system instead of releasing into the atmosphere and hence causing the pshht sound.

Whats the go? is anything wrong with the car? I have heard of weak DV valves in this car, could it be this?

Anyways, thanks heaps!! Look forward to posting more on this forum

Cheers

Winston

Jamie GTI

First VW and loving it
Car(s)
07 VW GTI
Yes it's normal. Even though the BOV is plumbed back into the intake, you will hear some noise in the cabin especially when driving hard.

The laws against BOVs venting to atmosphere is there so people outside the car don't have to put up with it. A subtle noise in the cabin is quite enjoyable and not illegal.

srbsta

Banned
Car(s)
2006 Volkswagen GTI
yeh i love the sound hahah when i had the chip with APR the 6 hour trial it was sooo much louder i miss it hahaha but will buy it very soon

ApexTwin

expert knob twiddler
The laws against BOVs venting to atmosphere is there so people outside the car don't have to put up with it.
Really? How do all those modded Subies I hear driving around get away with the super loud psssshhhhh on every gear shift??

Jamie GTI

First VW and loving it
Car(s)
07 VW GTI
I assume BOV's are illegal only in Australia?

No they aren't illegal. What is illegal in Australia (I'm pretty sure it's all states) is to have them vent to atmosphere. To apply with our laws, BOVs must be plumbed back into the intake system.

ApexTwin,

They get away with it because there isn't enough being done by the police and RTA to crack down on them. They also change back to plumbed back when they go for their rego inspections.

I love a subtle sound but there isn't anything more annoying than having to listen to a car sneeze at every gear change especially when you are trying to sleep.