GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I need a lense and im clueless.

Evan2462

VROOOOOM. F.
Ok so i just got a Nikon D40 :)clap:yaaaaaaaay:clap:) and i primarily want to use it for taking the kind of quality photos that i see on this fine forum (i.e. cars and such) my question is, what is a good lense that is going to get me quality photos without putting me in the poor house. now i understand that the d40 does not have the auto focus motor (maybe?:yikes:) built into the body but rather rely on the lenses itself so i know that my choices for a quality lense is slim and going to be manual focus.

now again, pardon my ignorance, but as for right now this whole thing is brand new to me.

p.s. a sales rep that works for the company im with is big into photography and said there is something for my camera in the $150 range but it wasnt a zoom lense (which is fine) and what it is exactly slips my mind at this time.

thank you for your patience:thumbsup:

omegach

Banned
35mm f/1.8 DX

$200, but back-ordered everywhere

itskv

APR Stage II+
Are you completely new to photography? If you are still learning, I would suggest you learn with the kit lens first before spending large about of money for a lens EXPECTING it to be the cure for excellent photos..

Evan2462

VROOOOOM. F.
Are you completely new to photography? If you are still learning, I would suggest you learn with the kit lens first before spending large about of money for a lens EXPECTING it to be the cure for excellent photos..

no no im aware of that, im not completely hopeless with the camera.

itskv

APR Stage II+
You can also go rent some lenses before purchasing.

MADgolFER

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
08 MkV
get a nifty fifty (50mm 1.8) and just manually focus it. for static objects that should be no problem and the lens is one of the sharpest budget lens ($130)

Evan2462

VROOOOOM. F.
yeah im close to picking up a 50mm/1.8 and i may return the d40 to walmart and pick up a d60 body a buddy of mine has for sale for i think $350 that way i dont need to manually focus. ill see how i like the lens on the d40 first. thanks for the advice everyone.

also im considering a wide angle zoom. nikons got a new 10-24mm/3.5-4.5 but i dont have any clue what that will run.

when i actually get the lens and RI decides to stop having this bullshit weather and can give my car a bath ill finally put some pictures up and you can tear me a new one.

thanks again

gs3xr_fun

TeamGo808.com
yeah im close to picking up a 50mm/1.8 and i may return the d40 to walmart and pick up a d60 body a buddy of mine has for sale for i think $350 that way i dont need to manually focus. ill see how i like the lens on the d40 first. thanks for the advice everyone.

also im considering a wide angle zoom. nikons got a new 10-24mm/3.5-4.5 but i dont have any clue what that will run.

when i actually get the lens and RI decides to stop having this bullshit weather and can give my car a bath ill finally put some pictures up and you can tear me a new one.

thanks again

the 50mm still won't autofocus with the D60 not unless your picking up a D90. the next best thing you can get that better than the kit lens is the 35mm f/1.8. yey me, i was able to snag one yesterday. way sharper that the kit lens but you have to do the foot work for your composition and perspective.

10-24mm will cost you $800+

MADgolFER

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
08 MkV

thanks again

like gs3rx said you will still need to manually focus with D60. main reason i just sold my D60 and upgraded to D90. you need to have AF-S lenses for D40/60. if you are strap for cash go for used d80 or d200. they are first gen dSLR but the image quality is same as d40/60 as they use same sensor (CCD) and much more versatile in lens selection. gently used D200 you can get for below 600 and d80 for around 500... don't go for D60 if you have D40. megapixels don't mean much unless you want to print wall sized pics. do not go less than D80 if you are gonna upgrade the body. :thumbsup:

Evan2462

VROOOOOM. F.
like gs3rx said you will still need to manually focus with D60. main reason i just sold my D60 and upgraded to D90. you need to have AF-S lenses for D40/60. if you are strap for cash go for used d80 or d200. they are first gen dSLR but the image quality is same as d40/60 as they use same sensor (CCD) and much more versatile in lens selection. gently used D200 you can get for below 600 and d80 for around 500... don't go for D60 if you have D40. megapixels don't mean much unless you want to print wall sized pics. do not go less than D80 if you are gonna upgrade the body. :thumbsup:

solid thanks alot. i was under the impression that the d60 had a built in focus motor. nevertheless i think im gonna get the 38mm/1.8. i dont know, im all over the place.

thanks again

SAbroSO

Das Captain
Car(s)
07' GTI
When i got my D40 i wanted to get a bunch of new lenses too. I still want a wide angle but after having used the kit lens for a year now, i realize that its a pretty good and versatile lens. It has its short comings but over all its good. I say you just stick with it and see how you feel. Get your practice in before dishing out the money. A cool lens isn't gonna make you a better photographer. You'd be surprised as to how much you can do with the kit lens. Save your money for now and save up for some quality glass.

MADgolFER

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
08 MkV
just remember that no matter what camera you have, short of full frame camera like D3, they have cropped sensor. the sensor magnifies the focal length by 1.6X. that applies to D40/60/80/90/200/300. so if you get 35mm prime lens, on d40 it will be 56mm. and do not under estimate the challenge of using prime lenses. you will have to walk to compose and for some it is very difficult if you are used to zoom lenses.

good photography is 90% eye and 10% equipment. the photographer dictates how good the picture is, not the equipment. like most, i say get to know your equipment first before getting glass-happy...

although on the other hand, d40 limits your selection of lenses so much (especially if you are strapped for cash) its hard to shut down the idea of upgrading to at least d80 and using all those non AF-S lenses.

some great starting info here:
http://digital-photography-school.com/digital-photography-composition-tips
and when you are ready get ready for some STROBEE!
http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html