GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Feedback on 6sp Manual please

Guys,

I'm looking at getting a GTI soon. Currently doin the DSG v 6sp Man thingy ....

There's lots of feedback on the DSG (mostly very positive) but very little on the manual.

So whats it like as far as a manual goes?

I do like manuals and am leaning this way but don't want to be dissappointed like many of the XR6T people were with the original 5speed manual.

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
Short version. I doubt you'll be disappointed. :thumbsup:

Long version. Dunno what an XR6T is like ... but on the wife's GTI, in comparison to my MINI, the clutch pedal is very, very light and the travel is comparatively long. Ideally the pedal travel would match the MINI and the weight would match the GTI. That aside, the shift is pretty smooth, although typically notchy in Euro style. I like that, dunno if you will.

DSG is bloody amazing though. I had my first drive of a DSG car on the weekend and even though it was just around the block, I was amazed! :drool:

Either way you'll be happy I reckon. If I lived in Sydney with shitty traffic I'd be taking the DSG every time. :thumbsup:

I have the manual gearbox in my GTI.

I find that there is very little throw in the box (distance to move stick when shifting). Even after 12 months plus of usage, it is still just as good.

The only comment that I have recieved from other people who have driven it is that there is no feel from the clutch. There is no bite point as such, or even any vibration to indicate when the clutch engages.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
DSG Rules! More fun to drive IMHO.

Kirium

Go Kart Champion
The manual box is great to use... Zero "notchiness", it's slick and precise. I've never missed a shift or hit the wrong gate. Good throw and good feel. The cluch is light and the take up point on mine is quite high, but very easy to modulate.

All the reviews rant about the DSG, it must be good (I've never driven it), but the manual is just as good. It doesn't move the goalposts for manuals like the DSG does for semi-auto boxes (and that's mostly the reason for all the hype) but it's a very, very good manual gearbox. It's nothing like the clunky, stiff, heavy 6 speed T56 you get in any Australian made car.

ApexTwin

expert knob twiddler
It's a great 'box, well weighted (on the light side) and positive, smooth shifts.
I reckon the throw could be a bit shorter - but that's an easy fix.

Try to find one to test drive, nothing like personal experience. :thumbsup:

And welcome to the MkV forum, Rhubarb. :biggrin:

srbsta

Banned
Car(s)
2006 Volkswagen GTI
6spd man ALL THE WAYYYYYYYY....best gearbox i have driven sooo far

zzeddles

Hey Rhubarb,
I know that you are after some feedback on the manual gear box, mine has the DSG. Without wanting to dampen your enthusiasm for the manual, you should if you can, have a test drive of both. I think that will help you make up your own mind. Obviously you would have thought of this already but I cant recommend it enough.

The DSG gearbox is seriously fantastic. Now I wont go on about it anymore than that, except to say to get yourself a test drive!

Jamie GTI

First VW and loving it
Car(s)
07 VW GTI
I just sold my XR6T 5 speed for the GTI with DSG. I've never driven a GTI manual but I can tell you with 100% confidence it would be a world apart from the old T5 gearbox in the BA Falcon and the AU I owned.

The DSG is also ahead in my opinion to the Falcon's new 6 speed auto.

I'm a manual driver through and through but absolutely love the DSG. It's changed my view on automatics. I'm with zzeddles, give the DSG a drive, it's worth the extra money.

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
The DSG is also ahead in my opinion to the Falcon's new 6 speed auto.

With all due respect, I wouldn't have thought that was any great claim. See Jason Plato's review of the GTI on Fifth Gear. He rates the DSG ahead of anything from Ferrari et al.

:thumbsup:

Jamie GTI

First VW and loving it
Car(s)
07 VW GTI
With all due respect, I wouldn't have thought that was any great claim. See Jason Plato's review of the GTI on Fifth Gear. He rates the DSG ahead of anything from Ferrari et al.

:thumbsup:

I saw that review and was quite amazed that it rated even higher than the Ferrari.

The Falcon 6 speed auto is a German designed gearbox (I believe they are BMW, but not sure if they are built here or in Euroupe though), so I would expect it to rate highly. It's also used in the Jag.

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
Yeah, but German designed or not the Ford tranny is an auto, there's a torque converter presumably. Obviously DSG raises the bar before a gear has even been changed with it's double clutch system.

GeeTEye

Go Kart Newbie
The point of having a car like this is to feel the road. You are in total controll. I like having a car that you do HAVE TO DRIVE. You have the option with DSG but could make you lazy. I must state here in sunny SoCal driving the 6spd manual could make you crazy in traffic day after day, but for me my GTI is my weekend car. Yes I did sacrafice an entire .3 seconds while getting to 60mph, I got some therapy and some Prozac and I'm better now. Having owned it for 4 months I would still perfer a 6spd manual. If you know how to drive stick and don't have mad traffic go for it.

VW = DRIVERS Wanted...so drive!!!!!!

Hilton_K

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Falcon tranny is a ZF made in Germany as i'm lead to believe. Well that's where BMW source their non smg auto's from anyway.

I've just ordered a 6 sp manual just because I can do what I want when I want. Makes me feel totally in control :-D